Threat of flooding - Hurley to Eton

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
A diving survey a few months ago discovered severe scouring damage at Black Potts Weir and emergency repairs are being carried out. A flood warning received just before noon today said “Jubilee River is not currently in full operation due to maintenance works, but will be operated should levels continue to rise”.

Old Crusty

Visit site
Maidenhead flow at 13:00 today was 175 cumecs. Taplow/Jubilee flow was 10.4 cumecs and evidence of an opening move mid Boxing Day.

Has the EA issued a 'Get yer wellies on' alert?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Most of the River is on orange "flood alert" on the flood warnings website.

I certainly need my wellies to get from boat to car. The water is in the River still but a lake forms over the field due to the backwater.

Last Christmas I was rowing the dinghy across the field.

Old Crusty

Visit site
Bray HW at +25" this morning so underground car park at the Shanly apartments must be expected. Taplow gate moved to position 1 yesterday but that only took 10 cumecs out of the main river which is at 185 cumecs today. Expect more Taplow gate moves later.

GAJ52

Visit site
Flood alerts in place between Hurley, Cookham, Maidenhead, Windsor and Eton

Why is the Jubilee having maintenance done at this time of year, unless it is because of damage due to flooding?

As somebody living down stream of this point I hope the Jubilee River has continued maintenance and is closed for many years to come.

I live in Wraysbury and prior to the Jubilee River opening in 2002 I believe the last major flood in Datchet and Wraysbury was in 1947. After this channel was completed and after a spell of heavy rain the area downstream of the Jubilee River flooded on the 3rd January 2003 with the channel fully open. We therefore had the full deluge of extra flood water plus the water via the Jubilee River that would have previously gone into the Maidenhead and Windsor flood plain, resulting in us flooding. As many will know Datchet and Wraysbury again flooded twice during Feb 2014 with even more flooding effecting Staines and Sunbury, again with the Jubilee River fully open.

Glen

ianc1200

Visit site
Always seemed wrong. Windsor & Maidenhead Council ignored guidelines to allow estates in the flood plain, whilst South Bucks Council kept to them. When it came to build the Jubilee River, to protect W&M, there was no room south of the river so it had to go on the north side - yet again benefitting W&M residents, who should be the one's suffering from flooding. After the Jubilee River opened, well remember the EA's insistence that the river had not caused the Wraysbury & Datchet 2003 flooding and their PR campaign.