THOSE OF US WITH BOATS IN THE MED

mcanderson

Visit site
Porto, France has been pretty clear that you can pass through if heading to another country. If I was you, I would leave the U.K. before 8 June. Head to you place in Switzerland and the wait for the 15 June great European border reopening. Looks like the Swiss have already reopened with IT so a straight drive down for you!

Bouba

Visit site
We want to only pass through .Details from both sides have not emerged on the procedure if you plan to less than 14 days in Q .
Presume it’s “up to “ 14 days ....which makes sense .
So we have a Fr address in Antibes which we could spend a night , “ it’s a one day trip officer “ ....and bugger off into friendly Italy where our boat is - 2 hr drive .
When we have OD ,d on boating head into Switzerland.Grass needs cutting by then :)
Or do we give our Swiss address and within 6 hrs from Calais it ” au revoir “ and good riddens if I am being truthful ! .......assuming we can pass through ?

Fr can’t reciprocate a pass through GB ....or maybe they can if headed for the Republic ?

A pass through means from a beaurcpatic pov , they need to issue you with some form of chit on arrival which you hand in on exit ....or something? Could well be put on a data base , so they can see you have taken the perceived risk out of there county?
Log you in and out kinda thing ??

Once away from plague ridden Brexit island ..... theres no immediate , medium term or for that matter any reason to rtn .

Already bought next seasons annual ski pass .
But hopefully by the Autum the Biology of the virus would have run its course ? Fairly normal travel resumes ?

Can,t help thinking there’s higher ( read Brexit ) shananingans going on off camera , was rather hoping the C19 strategy and Brexit strategy would stay separate.......but alas !
Go to Switzerland first, cut your lawn, then change cars and go to Italy

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Friend of ours drove down from the UK last Mon/Tues - 6 cars on the tunnel train then drove all the way to home, west of Perpignan, which is about as far as it's possible to drive in France - didn't get checked anywhere or stopped and questioned etc - car on French plates.

Hurricane

Visit site
This was posted on the Sant Carles Marina forum a few minutes ago:-

Have seen a report on a Motorhome Forum that President Sánchez has been on Spanish TV this afternoon and announced the opening of borders and welcoming in international tourist from the 1st July! Can anyone confirm this please?
If driving, there will still be the 14-day quarantine issues if travelling through France and on return to the UK. It is also reported that Brittany Ferries are resuming UK/Spain passenger services from 1st July.
Fingers crossed!

julians

Visit site
Yeah I saw the same (that Spain will be open to foreign tourists) from 1st July.

Fingers crossed, I have flights on 10th july

Hooligan

Visit site
Italy according to the radio seems to have decided it wants tourists to come and won’t reciprocate the UK’s policy - perhaps because it is actually too confusing for anyone to understand. So with the U.K. tourist spots not interested in having staycation seekers at present, furloughing until October, work from home prevalent - it seems to me that quarantining for 14 days on the way back, even if able to be enforced which is unlikely, isnt going to put anyone off. Countries are starting to focus on the economic suicide that has been committed and tourism is a big big deal. I remain of the view that this will open up a lot faster than conventional wisdom is suggesting.

John100156

Visit site
This was posted on the Sant Carles Marina forum a few minutes ago:-

Have seen a report on a Motorhome Forum that President Sánchez has been on Spanish TV this afternoon and announced the opening of borders and welcoming in international tourist from the 1st July! Can anyone confirm this please?
If driving, there will still be the 14-day quarantine issues if travelling through France and on return to the UK. It is also reported that Brittany Ferries are resuming UK/Spain passenger services from 1st July.
Fingers crossed!

Yes, we've booked a ferry UK-Bilbao on 5th July, in the hope that we can get down to quarantine on the boat in SC for 14 days.....:cool: Probably go pear shaped though but we live in hope......

julians

Visit site
Yes, we've booked a ferry UK-Bilbao on 5th July, in the hope that we can get down to quarantine on the boat in SC for 14 days.....:cool: Probably go pear shaped though but we live in hope......
The Spanish announced yesterday that they will remove the requirement to quarantine new arrivals from 1st July, so I think you'll be fine.

TwoHooter

Visit site
Italy according to the radio seems to have decided it wants tourists to come and won’t reciprocate the UK’s policy - perhaps because it is actually too confusing for anyone to understand. So with the U.K. tourist spots not interested in having staycation seekers at present, furloughing until October, work from home prevalent - it seems to me that quarantining for 14 days on the way back, even if able to be enforced which is unlikely, isnt going to put anyone off. Countries are starting to focus on the economic suicide that has been committed and tourism is a big big deal. I remain of the view that this will open up a lot faster than conventional wisdom is suggesting.
I agree with all that except for one thing.
I don't agree that people will be furloughed until October.
I very much doubt there will be many UK employees on furlough after 31 July.
The reason is that from 1 August employers must contribute to the cost of furloughed employees and furloughed employees are not allowed to do any work. None at all, remote or otherwise. They must sit on their hands.
The assumption seems to be that employers will be willing to contribute to the salaries of employees who are not allowed to do any work, and who are clearly not essential (because they are furloughed). I don't know where that assumption came from but it can't have come from anyone with any experience of running a business.
The consultation period for redundancies in entities with more than 99 employees is 45 days. For entities with 20-99 employees it is 30 days. I predict approximately 1m additional redundancies starting in about 2 weeks and peaking with the SMEs towards the end of June. I will not be surprised if the figure exceeds 2m because the UK retail, bar, restaurant, tourism, public transport, entertainment, event and charity sectors cannot operate profitably under the proposed Covid-secure protocols. They will be allowed to open but if they do open they will run at a loss. I am a director of one business and a substantial shareholder in another and I know whereof I speak.
I do agree that the proposed quarantine regime is unenforceable because it is illogical to the point of absurdity and in the aftermath of this week's disastrous antics I anticipate that the uniforms on the ground will have no appetite to enforce it. By this time next week I think they will be sick and tired of being laughed at by people telling them to go away and arrest Mr. Cummings or Professor Ferguson.
I also agree about the diminishing attraction of staycations in the UK. Some of the best tourist regions of the UK (including the whole of Wales and Scotland, the Lake District, and Cornwall) have comprehensively trashed 50 years worth of expensive brand-building by locking their toilets and telling their visitors to p**s off. I have just heard that the beach at a famous resort this evening stinks of urine.
I predict that those of you with boats in the Med will have a good summer. I will toast you from our berth in the insolvent madhouse that the UK has become.

Bouba

Visit site
I also agree about the diminishing attraction of staycations in the UK. Some of the best tourist regions of the UK (including the whole of Wales and Scotland, the Lake District, and Cornwall) have comprehensively trashed 50 years worth of expensive brand-building by locking their toilets and telling their visitors to p**s off. I have just heard that the beach at a famous resort this evening stinks of urine.
I predict that those of you with boats in the Med will have a good summer. I will toast you from our berth in the insolvent madhouse that the UK has become.
I agree about the toilets. Being able to drive 100km or go to a McDonalds drive thru isn’t much good when you can’t find a toilet

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Excellent news. Are there still travel restrictions in force?
I think residents are restricted still to 100kms probably till tomorrow but, as I mentioned above, pal of ours drove the whole length of France with no problems Mon/Tues last week. There's an announcement by someone important tomorrow (Thursday) listing a new set of rules but all for the better so I can't see travel being a problem. I think they're lifting local restrictions and opening restaurants/cafes somehow. Spain, I think, is July 1st and Italy June 1st (check?).

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Bugger !.......wish I was there but thunder storms forecast from Friday.
Possibility of showers 3am to 6am Saturday otherwise 25 with 10kph winds right through till Monday evening when there is a possibility of some thunder, but only for an hour … you need to find a better forecast than the one you've got! Keep looking till you find a good one! … :cool: ... you might, of course, be looking at a different part of the SoF from where I am (the best bit).
P.S. Actually I've just looked again and there is some rain forecast for later next week!

Last edited: