Thorneycroft handybilly db2 spares required

Gary120271

Visit site
Good morning I wonder if anybody on here can help me , I have a db2 thorneycroft handybilly my father used to take it to shows but no longer with us. I was wondering if anybody could help my find some spares for the engine as my nephew put sledgehammer to it I need
Spark plug holders
The threaded spindles next to spark plugs
Water pump
And I think it’s oil breather not sure as you can see in 3rd and 4th photo there the parts I need

if you don’t have parts woukd you know where I can buy them . Thanks

gary

Attachments

• 0BDD71C0-21BD-490E-94F3-14EF63CA50BF.jpeg
    0BDD71C0-21BD-490E-94F3-14EF63CA50BF.jpeg
    510.5 KB · Views: 17
  • B68BEA24-6904-479E-9802-4EC8F92931C0.jpeg
    B68BEA24-6904-479E-9802-4EC8F92931C0.jpeg
    690.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 15115374-606A-4699-A80F-AE11A037F652.jpeg
    15115374-606A-4699-A80F-AE11A037F652.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 1A4FB6B6-99BF-481E-9F12-4F16989271FD.jpeg
    1A4FB6B6-99BF-481E-9F12-4F16989271FD.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 18

Poecheng

Visit site
I think it is not as bad as it might seem - ignore this if you know this already.
As far as I can see it is the spark plugs themselves that are smashed so new ones should solve that - be careful of the length and get the best possible ones to provide the strongest spark.
The 'threaded spindles next to the spark plugs' are the decompressors - you should be able to extract what is left and get a new thread made up which leaves the question of the hand turner - has that been lost or have you got the broken off bit? If you still have it then a good engineer should be able to make it up.
Yours is different to my Handybilly but yours looks like the spark plugs and decompressors have removable sleeves - it looks like you can get the spark plugs out normally but might have to put a bar across the top of the sleeves for the decompressors to get the whole thing out.
The second photo shows, IIRC, the oil filler and again if you have the broken part that is best put back in place - it is not stressed in any way. CHeck that parts haven't gone into the sump or the restarted engine will not last long.

Will be difficult to get parts for this. I will see if I can find the details of the chap I provided some parts to a number of years ago and will PM you if I can find his details.

Gary120271

Visit site
I think it is not as bad as it might seem - ignore this if you know this already.
As far as I can see it is the spark plugs themselves that are smashed so new ones should solve that - be careful of the length and get the best possible ones to provide the strongest spark.
The 'threaded spindles next to the spark plugs' are the decompressors - you should be able to extract what is left and get a new thread made up which leaves the question of the hand turner - has that been lost or have you got the broken off bit? If you still have it then a good engineer should be able to make it up.
Yours is different to my Handybilly but yours looks like the spark plugs and decompressors have removable sleeves - it looks like you can get the spark plugs out normally but might have to put a bar across the top of the sleeves for the decompressors to get the whole thing out.
The second photo shows, IIRC, the oil filler and again if you have the broken part that is best put back in place - it is not stressed in any way. CHeck that parts haven't gone into the sump or the restarted engine will not last long.

Will be difficult to get parts for this. I will see if I can find the details of the chap I provided some parts to a number of years ago and will PM you if I can find his details.
Good morning the 2nd photo is called viewing chamber by the parts manual I’ve just received.

spark plugs I’m not worried about I can get them not a problem

I think your right about the compression spindles if the tops unscrews then I can take to an engineer as you say . I really appreciate you replying to my message
Regards gary

Poecheng

Visit site
This is an earlier thread with some useful information for you. Not sure Arrontina still around but a PM might work.
Thorneycroft Handy Billy

This is the guy I gave the bits I had to and you will find him very helpful https://www.youtube.com/user/gasengine55/featured and I would get in touch with him as he seems very resourceful and a good chap and had the name "Handybilly" on the forum but not been seen for a while but a PM might work.

penfold

Visit site
The sparkplugs will unscrew with a plug spanner.
The mortal remains of the decompressors look to be removable with a thin walled socket, or(as mentioned above) if not the brass insert may be removed with the right tool.
The water pump barely appears in the pics, so its state is unknown.
The oil filler/breather will probably be repairable with braze or metal stitching if the broken segment is still there.

I hope you tanned his hide after this escapade.

Gary120271

Visit site
The mortal remains of the decompressors look to be removable with a thin walled socket, or(as mentioned above) if not the brass insert may be removed with the right tool.
The oil filler/breather will probably be repairable with braze or metal stitching if the broken segment is still there.

good morning penfold can’t find any of the broken breather parts but I’m sure I’ll get one so where the water pump is it behind flywheel ??? As when the engine was started last year it seemed like it never pumped water upto the head so when I took it a part it looked like the leather insert was worn but I’m not sure how to fit another leather insert or what glue to use ???
Thanks for getting back to me with your help much appreciated

penfold

Visit site
Is this not part of the waterpump housing? I'm only going by what I can google as I've never seen one of these in the flesh.

thorn.jpg

where the water pump is it behind flywheel ??? As when the engine was started last year it seemed like it never pumped water upto the head so when I took it a part it looked like the leather insert was worn but I’m not sure how to fit another leather insert or what glue to use ???
It's a piston pump, the leather piston seal is probably clamped by washers and a nut in the same manner as a stirrup or primus stove pump.