This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

jamie N

Visit site
Zagato, you've got to realise that he's part of "our" club as a Folkboat owner!
Everyone else "wants" to be, but......, whatever. ;)

Made me feel better, that (y)

ridgy

Visit site
There are 2 episodes when he is back in the UK giving a presentation to rorc where he talks about his life journey in some detail. I'll let you enjoy those but it's fair to say that he's worked his way up from nothing as both sailor and a boatbuilder (see what I did there).

Zagato

Visit site
What will this thing be worth when he has finished it, 300K maybe, no idea but if it is his and not a charities then he will have achieved in a few years what it takes to do in a working lifetime with a mortgage for many. It,s only some of the point maybe but good luck to him for taking the initiative on the idea, the opportunity and the marketing of the whole process.

I bet the next one he does will be from scratch. So much less work. Do you remember Luke Powell saying to him it is a lot more work to do, what you are doing rather than build from new and he said "oh thanks, now you tell me" Lol! I wonder if he would have got the same interest and backing if it was just a new build though.

The interior fit out will be interesting. I wonder if the skills and tools for that are completely different.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
What will this thing be worth when he has finished it, 300K maybe, no idea but if it is his and not a charities then he will have achieved in a few years what it takes to do in a working lifetime with a mortgage for many. It,s only some of the point maybe but good luck to him for taking the initiative on the idea, the opportunity and the marketing of the whole process.

I bet the next one he does will be from scratch. So much less work. Do you remember Luke Powell saying to him it is a lot more work to do, what you are doing rather than build from new and he said "oh thanks, now you tell me" Lol! I wonder if he would have got the same interest and backing if it was just a new build though.

The interior fit out will be interesting. I wonder if the skills and tools for that are completely different.
To have a boat that size built, in those materials and to that design and standard would be well in to 7 figures. Very well in... depends on internal fit out a bit, but I don't think he's going to mess that up. My expectation is he'll do something fairly 'original' so not a whole load of fancy systems. But probably will have nice joinery. I am looking forward to seeing it. Then there's rig and deck gear, but again I'd guess there won't be much that Strange would not have recognised. Maybe some winches....but maybe not!

Zagato

Visit site
Yes your right, I undervalued it. I was going on the price quoted for smaller pilot cutters from the Bristol yard at 250K, think they are about 40'! OH yes please... gorgeous... sell the house, buy one of those to live on and a barn on a bit of ground for 50k and stick 400k in the bank and retire. Sadly I don,t think my wife would go for it :cry: I would always keep my IF Boat however:love:

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
To have a boat that size built, in those materials and to that design and standard would be well in to 7 figures. Very well in... depends on internal fit out a bit, but I don't think he's going to mess that up. My expectation is he'll do something fairly 'original' so not a whole load of fancy systems. But probably will have nice joinery. I am looking forward to seeing it. Then there's rig and deck gear, but again I'd guess there won't be much that Strange would not have recognised. Maybe some winches....but maybe not!

She won’t need winches. I hope he keeps her authentic on deck and below.

doug748

Visit site
Somewhere he did speak about the internal fit out, simple and functional are the words that spring to mind. Mind you his ideas of simple outpace mine by several country miles.
I don't think he is planning to try and copy the original look but that was just my impression, could well be wrong.

Other threads that may be of interest