This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
The shutter planks looked almost too tight to hammer in the caulking. Will they just use a thin caulking iron, and get in as much as possible? Or will another technique be used?

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The shutter planks looked almost too tight to hammer in the caulking. Will they just use a thin caulking iron, and get in as much as possible? Or will another technique be used?

The caulking seam doesn’t go to the back of the planks. It is planed in as a “V” shape before the planks are fitted. It goes 2/3 of the way back. If you look at Leo cleaning up the transom you will see the V shaped caulking seams. If you have cotton going through to the inside, someone has belted the iron too hard.

Last edited:

38mess

Visit site
I can remember when I sanded my 26 ft eventide back to bare wood underneath, not a job I would recommend, but it looked nice. My shoulders ached for a week. Good luck to Leo and the guys.

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
3 per plank at the ends, 2 per plank on each frame, 6 per butt block.
Doesn't Tally Ho have plugs at each fastening?

All my copper fastenings are plugged at each rib. Ribs every 200 mm, and extra floor frames between in the lower bilge, that's more than 100 plugs for each plank.

I cut 200 plugs at 1/2" for my boom, only to find that there were not quite a tight fit in the nominal 1/2" hole. I cut another 200 at 13mm. I check with a couple of plugs now before I cut a large number!

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Doesn't Tally Ho have plugs at each fastening?

All my copper fastenings are plugged at each rib. Ribs every 200 mm, and extra floor frames between in the lower bilge, that's more than 100 plugs for each plank.

I cut 200 plugs at 1/2" for my boom, only to find that there were not quite a tight fit in the nominal 1/2" hole. I cut another 200 at 13mm. I check with a couple of plugs now before I cut a large number!
mm?
Surely some whole number of inches.

tillergirl

Visit site
Gee! Coo! Production of 1000 plugs a day! Very impressed. The final cutting out is very clever but the initial cutting is a desperae drag. To do a thousand a day is v. impressive.

Other threads that may be of interest