This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I do hope people are supporting Leo rather than just sharing the Youtube links. I do, as I think he is an amazing young man with fantastic enthusiasm and skills who will see this venture through.

+1.

Well, he will, if enough of us carry on supporting him, but the more the merrier, and there may be people who don’t know of him or of the “Tally Ho!” rebuild.

Last edited:

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Agreed, and interesting to hear him mention delegation (in a thoughtful manner) in this week's episode. Bigger plans perhaps?

And separately, I was very impressed with Luke Powell's project and wish him well too.

Kukri

Visit site
And this week's - an interview with Chris Rees.

http://sampsonboat.co.uk/33-meeting-a-master-boatbuilder-1905-pilot-cutter/

I was struck by Chris Rees's reservations about the use of iroko for structural work, because of the risk of hidden rot.

Many years ago there was a well respected wooden boatbuilder on the East Coast (I won't name him) who built, amongst others, a 42ft ketch - a very big solid boat with a transom stern. His practice -like that of other builders at the time - was to buy in timber in the log and saw it up as required. Some people said - afterwards - that they hadn't liked the look of the big log that the centreline structure was got out of and which went on to provide much of the planking - this builder's practice was to laminate the frames, also from iroko. Anyway, it was a disaster; there was hidden rot in the iroko log and the lovely boat rotted out just a few years after she was launched.

CCJ

Visit site
And this week's - an interview with Chris Rees.

http://sampsonboat.co.uk/33-meeting-a-master-boatbuilder-1905-pilot-cutter/

I was struck by Chris Rees's reservations about the use of iroko for structural work, because of the risk of hidden rot.

Many years ago there was a well respected wooden boatbuilder on the East Coast (I won't name him) who built, amongst others, a 42ft ketch - a very big solid boat with a transom stern. His practice -like that of other builders at the time - was to buy in timber in the log and saw it up as required. Some people said - afterwards - that they hadn't liked the look of the big log that the centreline structure was got out of and which went on to provide much of the planking - this builder's practice was to laminate the frames, also from iroko. Anyway, it was a disaster; there was hidden rot in the iroko log and the lovely boat rotted out just a few years after she was launched.

We used to make draining board ( remember those )from Iroko :encouragement:

doug748

Visit site
I see the main man, Leo, has chopped off the end of one finger. A bit ghoulish but he has challenged to viewing public the guess how he did it.

My joint favourites are: a crush shear injury moving heavy stuff in the yard / getting it trapped in the fork lift.
Or: A kickback off the table saw. It spits the material out on the oblique and keeping your fingers away is pot luck. I have put back my own riving knife in commemoration of his injury. Will see how long it lasts.

BTW I have no personal recommendations on how he organizes his own activities, nothing but admiration. Nice to see he is still chirpy and bang at it.

burgundyben

Visit site
My mind is running along those lines, too.

If it was the chainsaw, then a finger tip is lucky escape!

I reckon he caught it in a grinding wheel sharpening a tool. Its an abrasion, wore it away.

Eitherway. I reckon it smarts and I bet his mother is on a plane to tell him off!

Visit site
Is this project some type of charity, eg like Trinity in Brixham,or the Excelsior Trust, etc? Or is it a professional boatbuilder's commercial venture? Or even a professional restoring an old boat for his own use?

Kukri

Visit site
A professional, rebuilding the boat for his own use, and putting his own money in with a little help from his friends. Like many, I’m happy to chip in the price of a couple of pints a month.

“Tally Ho” was discovered some years ago as a worn out motor fishing boat in a small harbour in Oregon. An odd fate for a Fastnet winner! She had been put ashore and was due to be scrapped. A local man made a start on repairs but he died. The Harbour Master was as tolerant as he could be but he made it clear that she would have to go. The Albert Strange Associaton tried everything including trying to get her back to the UK, but in the meantime covered her over and paid her storage fees.

Leo took the boat on - for £1, from the Albert Strange Association - and he is doing a fantastic job of rebuilding her. Nobody else was going to do that, and he is doing it wonderfully well.

There is of course a precedent set by one J Slocum...

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest