This Forum is becoming more Cosmopolitan

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
It is interesting to see that this Forum is becoming increasingly more cosmopolitan. We have forumites of foreign tongues, based in the UK, from overseas, English speakers native language and English speakers not native language.
Over the years we had forumites from USA, Australia, NZ, France, Norway, Spain, Finland, Netherlands, Ireland and I am sure there are a few more nationalities and foreign speakers who are using this forum.
We all have yachting as common interest. I wonder how many forumites based overseas (or multi-nationals living in the UK) are actively participating in this forum.

Poignard

Visit site
My case is simple: I’m a Belgian, living in Belgium, sailing from a Belgian port. My native language is Dutch, so French is my second language, but in practice English has taken second place.
You should offer English lessons to some of our British forum members, some of whom struggle with their native language.
;)

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
It is possible to make an educated guess - a reasonably well educated person of UK decent would be unlikely to use "overcomed" but would write/speak "overcome" instead.

However, pedantry aside, congratulations to Captain Fantastic for his excellent use of a foreign language. :)
I assumed it was a simple typo, such as anyone might make. ;)

Would it be pedantry to remind you that there should be a hyphen between well and educated?

dom

Visit site
I assumed it was a simple typo, such as anyone might make. ;)

Would it be pedantry to remind you that there should be a hyphen between well and educated?

Depends, grammar will naturally slip when a poster is unwell such as perhaps when suffering from the dreaded lurgi.
In which case there is of course still something wrong, beyond the unwell poster that is...........:rolleyes:
:)

johnalison

Visit site
I take endless delight in the way that foreigners manage to mangle our tongue, not out of malice on my part, but just out of fascination at how far you can stretch the language without obscuring the meaning. There are some very strange subtleties in phraseology and grammar which most of us native speakers would be hard put to describe or classify clearly, but which we just know. English is so irregular that no one should feel any embarrassment at getting it wrong. Some contributors have described themselves as being fluent in this or that foreign language. This impresses me but I am not among them.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I personally like the British flavour of YBW, I hop into a few sailing forum from different countries (France, Italy, US, Spain, Brazil, sometimes Quebequois Canada): the passion and interests may be shared, but the approach to sailing is sometimes really really different from one sailing culture to the other, which makes things so interesting and often funny.
Long live heterocultural sailing :)

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
It is interesting to see that this Forum is becoming increasingly more cosmopolitan. We have forumites of foreign tongues, based in the UK, from overseas, English speakers native language and English speakers not native language.
Over the years we had forumites from USA, Australia, NZ, France, Norway, Spain, Finland, Netherlands, Ireland and I am sure there are a few more nationalities and foreign speakers who are using this forum.
We all have yachting as common interest. I wonder how many forumites based overseas (or multi-nationals living in the UK) are actively participating in this forum.

Whatever next? One day we might even have a few more women contributors!

westhinder

Visit site
I personally like the British flavour of YBW, I hop into a few sailing forum from different countries (France, Italy, US, Spain, Brazil, sometimes Quebequois Canada): the passion and interests may be shared, but the approach to sailing is sometimes really really different from one sailing culture to the other, which makes things so interesting and often funny.
Long live heterocultural sailing :)
I wholeheartedly agree