Thinking of buying a wooden boat...

srm

Visit site
Hi Toby,

Congratulations on getting a boat. 34 ft is a good size for one person to live aboard and still small enough that the gear is easy to handle.

Just one word of warning, there is a saying that steel boats rust from the inside, and from my experience owning an older steel boat it is true. It all depends on how well the steel was prepared and coated from new. However, keep an eye on the hard to reach areas. If you do not know how to weld its cheaper to learn and buy the basic tools so you can tackle the simpler repairs / alterations yourself.

All the best.

Wansworth

Visit site
Hi Toby,

Congratulations on getting a boat. 34 ft is a good size for one person to live aboard and still small enough that the gear is easy to handle.

Just one word of warning, there is a saying that steel boats rust from the inside, and from my experience owning an older steel boat it is true. It all depends on how well the steel was prepared and coated from new. However, keep an eye on the hard to reach areas. If you do not know how to weld its cheaper to learn and buy the basic tools so you can tackle the simpler repairs / alterations yourself.

All the best.
On my steel boat I treated the hidden areas of the steel,basically all excepts around the engine with wax oil,carunder body sealer in the 10 years no sign of rust,applied after the mill scale was removed.

Travellingwithtoby

Visit site
Hi Toby,

All the best.
Thanks! Yes she has some rather rusty bits, fortunately I can weld almost every conceivable way that exists and will be doing my coding as soon as my health allows:)
On my steel boat I treated the hidden areas of the steel,basically all excepts around the engine with wax oil,carunder body sealer in the 10 years no sign of rust,applied after the mill scale was removed.
Amazing! Well i have a lot if rust to remove before treating it will try and upload some photos later on :)