Things that put people off boating on the Thames

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I find it interesting to consider what small details might put people off going boating on the River.

It seems possible that quite small details could have quite a large effect.

An elderly couple I know who have a pleasure boat said they found the slowed down water points very off-putting. And we also have people who dislike the slimy lock stairs.

No doubt some people are displeased by the unregistered boats.

It would be an interesting survey to find out what it is that people dislike and stops them taking the boat out.

I suspect in a lot of cases it will be fairly minor irritants that could be fixed quite easily by the navigation authority.

I like it when it's quiet but also like to see people using the River as it's a pleasant amenity.

Having a trip Henley to Oxford and back this week so will be interesting to see what it's like. It should be really busy but I suspect it won't be..

Time Out

Visit site
two things for me.

One is the huge rise of swimmers (not the open water ones) which has/does put me off going out on a hot day, I just can't stand the thought of seeing a kid go under and never coming up, I pulled two out last year, one was deff on her last surface.

Two is the lack of DECENT riverside boozers that serve good food with good service! The only one on my stretch is The Albany that manages both, The White Swan is of course great when the tide is out!

Last edited:

Mark26

Visit site
I can’t imagine the presence of unregistered boats would put anyone off.
Or are we talking about a number of unsightly boats, which we assume to be unregistered?
Maybe that nice, new looking cruiser you just passed was unregistered? I certainly don’t check all the windows of every boat I pass for licence plates, and even if one wasn’t there it doesn’t mean it’s not registered.
Good luck upstream of Abingdon

Mark26

Visit site
So having thought about things that put people of boating on the Thames…

Answer: So much negativity, and complaining on forums would be top of my list.

I’m retired, I use my boat as much as I can, which, because I’m retired, is quite a lot.
I enjoy it immensely. The Thames is a great place to be. It’s the forum that makes me feel down, not anything I encounter on the river.

I brought my first boat 30 years ago when river licences were cheap and lock ques long. Things change, they always will, and we have to change too.

Slimy lock steps will be slippery, trees will fall, and locks will break. People will always try to buck the system whether by overstaying or seemingly being unregistered, or as is very common lately, being unnamed. But none of these things get fixed by posting them on forums. If every time someone took the time to post a winge on the forum, they put a stamp on it and addressed it to the harbour master instead, we might see some response.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I can’t imagine the presence of unregistered boats would put anyone off.
Or are we talking about a number of unsightly boats, which we assume to be unregistered?
Maybe that nice, new looking cruiser you just passed was unregistered? I certainly don’t check all the windows of every boat I pass for licence plates, and even if one wasn’t there it doesn’t mean it’s not registered.
Good luck upstream of Abingdon
I'm not at all bothered about unregistered boats but apparently some people are.

Oh yes that large cruiser sunk in the middle above Abingdon marked with just a single white fender.
Probably best not to do the night time thing up there.

Currently in Goring lock it's a bit dark here. Quite pleasant actually.

The boring goring mooring was full and also the under the trees option so I will have to keep moving probably to the next Brunel bridge.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Just moored up and apologies if this thread seemed like a whinge. It wasn't intended that way at all. I think the River is wonderful and although there are some faults such as dodgy looking boats being navigated by questionable individuals overall it is very very good.

I just wondered why it's so quiet.

Marbella?

oldgit

Visit site
Perhaps the Thames is a mere microcosm of the world today .
"Ask not what the Thames can do for you but what you can do for the Thames."

You may vaguely recall having seen this comment somewhere before but be assured, OG though of it first and somebody else nicked it. :)

Old Crusty

Visit site
Before I worked at the EA, I had over 20 years of boating on the Thames, not to mention another 20 years' recreational sea time, and was oblivious to the politics and so called irritants. I just enjoyed it for what it was in order to escape the daily grind of the pub industry and the people who thought they could manage it better.

That's the point, most boaters, and I've spoken to hundreds over the last 10 years, are blissfully unaware of the faults, breakdowns and shortcomings, they just go boating for the joy of it. The Thames reflects modern life, it's full of all sorts of people and boats of various styles - admire those you like, ignore those that you don't.

Actionmat

Visit site
A friend of mine is considering leaving the Thames and going back to the coast because he's sick of rowers.
I dont mind rowers, but I do mind their coach boats. It will take a lot to put me off the Thames, but liveaboards taking over the temporary moorings are limiting my enjoyment.

oldgit

Visit site
A friend of mine is considering leaving the Thames and going back to the coast because he's sick of rowers.
I dont mind rowers, but I do mind their coach boats. It will take a lot to put me off the Thames, but liveaboards taking over the temporary moorings are limiting my enjoyment.

there were lots of obnious "livaboards" moored in the trees along parts of the river bank, but never spotted any on the EA public temporary 24 H moorings, at least on the lower reaches of the river .
Especially those actively managed ie at Windsor or those patrolled by the car parking mob ie. Runnymeade and Hampton Court.
There were loads more widebeam barges however, the number of narrowboats appeared about the same or even down from previous visits.