The Weekend Wenteth

LizzyD

Visit site
Following on from my recent post and asserting my intention to take the boat out, I went to Cardiff Yacht Club to load up Lizzy D with bags and bits and pieces ready for a trip to Bristol and then on to Portishead. However, it slammed down with rain and nature gave me a great display of thunder and lightening sufficient for me to instanly bottle it and call off the trip for the day. We were supposed to be taking Bev's 11 year old niece, Jess, along for her first sailing trip, so cancelling made me feel seriously guilty.

However, the weather on Saturday was due to improve so we decided to give it a go. We set off from Cardiff and had a brilliant motor-sail up to Portishead. I had Jess heaving on the mainsail lanyard, collecting fenders, steering and generally telling her tales of our adventures on the high seas. Jess was also given responsibility for looking after Kaiser the dog which she enjoys doing.

P1010035.jpg
When we got to Portishead, we secured the boat in the berth and once the boats needs were catered for, the dog's needs were next. We took him for a walk and had a Kodak moment on the old pier at Portishead just by the marina entrance.
P1010039.jpg
The walk took us behing the Royal pub and down towards Battery Point where we snooped around the lighthouse and monument before going into the bay to encourage the dog to run after sticks.
P1010051.jpg

We made our way into the town and stopped at the Plough pub where we had been previously welcomed with the dog. Because we had Jess with us, we sat outside and had our lager / wine / coke / water, and considered a second drink.

Now, whenever, I'm in male company, I can be as sweary as the next man, but if I know I am in earshot of children, I immediately moderate my tone. Unfortunately, none of the customers outside the Plough that evening were prepared to extend that courtesy and after a torrent of language that would make Roy "Chubby" Brown blush, we went to the nearby and wonderful Ghandi's restaurant for a takeaway. We ordered it and a taxi at the same time and they both arrived within 60 seconds of each other before scarpering back to the boat to eat it.

Having an excitable 11 year old in a confined space is not conducive to a good night's sleep. Her restlessness kept Bev awake as they were sharing the double bed and talking (mostly in her sleep) kept me awake. We have since made a new arrangement for future trips as Jess will have the quarter berth where I sleep, Bev will stay where she was, and Grumpy (me) will go in the v-berth at the front.

Next day we set off at 09:45 and reached speeds of 9.1 SOG on the way home. Bev kept everyone in cool drinks (she's a brilliant Galley Slave), and Jess nearly had me jumping over the side with her singing. I maintained my aura of the cool Skipper, with occasional knowing glances at the chart and dutifully filling in the log book, and Kaiser slept the whole way back, as usual.
P1010071.jpg

Because this was Jess's first trip, she had quite a welcoming committee waiting at the Cardiff Barrage. There was Mum, (Clair) Dad, (Jason) and little sister, 1-year old Macy. Also there was proud grandparents, Linda and Graham. As well as Bev's family members, there was quite a crowd standing on the top of the Barrage watching all of the skillful sailors bringing their craft into Cardiff, a city rich with maritime history, so it is logical that the local sailors must be awesome.

As is customary, I contacted the Barrage to tell them I was coming in and was told that there was a large vessel also heading in and that the likely lock was going to be lock number 3. On the approach, the Bristol Queen passed us leaving an impressive wake as it went by. Seeing this boat head towards the Barrage, along with several other boats, I felt it prudent to let the Barrage know that I was a 32' long keel and that manoeuvrability was a challenge. This information was met with a little indifference, but I headed in undaunted nontheless.

In the outer harbour, family members could be seen waving frantically from the edge of the locks with many, many, many sightseeers. Now, ask youself, how many times have you negotiated the locks without problem. In my case, many times - until today! The lock was changed to lock number 2 last minute. The Bristol queen took the lions share of the starboard side and the port side was occupied by a massive yacht and a good sized fishing boat. I tried to get behind the Bristol Queen, but there was just not enough room. I put the boat into reverse. Have you ever encouraged a child or a dog to perform its party piece in front of an audience? A Nantucket Clipper behaves in much the same way - it just won't do as it's told, especially in front of an audience. We stammered into a space between the other boats and blushing from my lubberly boat handling, I cursed the Barrage staff for not giving me a lock to myself whilst Bev's family were there. Still, my poor performance went unrecognised, and I got away with it. (Let's hope they don't read this forum!)

So the next trip? Wachet hopefully. Next weekend with any luck. Same crew as before - weather and Mum permitting.

Lizzy D.

Q

quimby

Ahaa, but did you enjoy it? and were are the pics? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sb99

Visit site
Sounds like you had a good time. Its surprising how large the crowds get above those locks.

It was good to meet you and Bev at Mermaid Quay on Saturday just prior to your departure.

LizzyD

Visit site
Following on from my recent post and asserting my intention to take the boat out, I went to Cardiff Yacht Club to load up Lizzy D with bags and bits and pieces ready for a trip to Bristol and then on to Portishead. However, it slammed down with rain and nature gave me a great display of thunder and lightening sufficient for me to instanly bottle it and call off the trip for the day. We were supposed to be taking Bev's 11 year old niece, Jess, along for her first sailing trip, so cancelling made me feel seriously guilty.

However, the weather on Saturday was due to improve so we decided to give it a go. We set off from Cardiff and had a brilliant motor-sail up to Portishead. I had Jess heaving on the mainsail lanyard, collecting fenders, steering and generally telling her tales of our adventures on the high seas. Jess was also given responsibility for looking after Kaiser the dog which she enjoys doing.
P1010035.jpg

When we got to Portishead, we secured the boat in the berth and once the boats needs were catered for, the dog's needs were next. We took him for a walk and had a Kodak moment on the old pier at Portishead just by the marina entrance.
P1010039.jpg

The walk took us behing the Royal pub and down towards Battery Point where we snooped around the lighthouse and monument before going into the bay to encourage the dog to run after sticks.
P1010051.jpg

We made our way into the town and stopped at the Plough pub where we had been previously welcomed with the dog. Because we had Jess with us, we sat outside and had our lager / wine / coke / water, and considered a second drink.

Now, whenever, I'm in male company, I can be as sweary as the next man, but if I know I am in earshot of children, I immediately moderate my tone. Unfortunately, none of the customers outside the Plough that evening were prepared to extend that courtesy and after a torrent of language that would make Roy "Chubby" Brown blush, we went to the nearby and wonderful Ghandi's restaurant for a takeaway. We ordered it and a taxi at the same time and they both arrived within 60 seconds of each other before scarpering back to the boat to eat it.

Having an excitable 11 year old in a confined space is not conducive to a good night's sleep. Her restlessness kept Bev awake as they were sharing the double bed and talking (mostly in her sleep) kept me awake. We have since made a new arrangement for future trips as Jess will have the quarter berth where I sleep, Bev will stay where she was, and Grumpy (me) will go in the v-berth at the front.

Next day we set off at 09:45 and reached speeds of 9.1 SOG on the way home. Bev kept everyone in cool drinks (she's a brilliant Galley Slave), and Jess nearly had me jumping over the side with her singing. I maintained my aura of the cool Skipper, with occasional knowing glances at the chart and dutifully filling in the log book, and Kaiser slept the whole way back, as usual.
P1010071.jpg

Because this was Jess's first trip, she had quite a welcoming committee waiting at the Cardiff Barrage. There was Mum, (Clair) Dad, (Jason) and little sister, 1-year old Macy. Also there was proud grandparents, Linda and Graham. As well as Bev's family members, there was quite a crowd standing on the top of the Barrage watching all of the skillful sailors bringing their craft into Cardiff, a city rich with maritime history, so it is logical that the local sailors must be awesome.

As is customary, I contacted the Barrage to tell them I was coming in and was told that there was a large vessel also heading in and that the likely lock was going to be lock number 3. On the approach, the Bristol Queen passed us leaving an impressive wake as it went by. Seeing this boat head towards the Barrage, along with several other boats, I felt it prudent to let the Barrage know that I was a 32' long keel and that manoeuvrability was a challenge. This information was met with a little indifference, but I headed in undaunted nontheless.

In the outer harbour, family members could be seen waving frantically from the edge of the locks with many, many, many sightseeers. Now, ask youself, how many times have you negotiated the locks without problem. In my case, many times - until today! The lock was changed to lock number 2 last minute. The Bristol queen took the lions share of the starboard side and the port side was occupied by a massive yacht and a good sized fishing boat. I tried to get behind the Bristol Queen, but there was just not enough room. I put the boat into reverse. Have you ever encouraged a child or a dog to perform its party piece in front of an audience? A Nantucket Clipper behaves in much the same way - it just won't do as it's told, especially in front of an audience. We stammered into a space between the other boats and blushing from my lubberly boat handling, I cursed the Barrage staff for not giving me a lock to myself whilst Bev's family were there. Still, my poor performance went unrecognised, and I got away with it. (Let's hope they don't read this forum!)

So the next trip? Wachet hopefully. Next weekend with any luck. Same crew as before - weather and Mum permitting.

Lizzy D.

LizzyD

Visit site
Managed it the second time. I'd deleted the pictures from Photobucket. Hopefully a better story with the visuals.

Lizzy D

Sneds

Visit site
Nice report and great pictures, thanks for sharing them.
Sorry about the yobs in Portishead!
Hopefully there will soon be a few eateries and drinkeries around the marina and the local yoof will, hopefully, not be made welcome