"The Strange Last Voyage...

Aardee

Visit site
\"The Strange Last Voyage...

...of Donald Crowhurst"

For those that don't remember, Donald Crowhurst was the guy who entered the Golden Globe Round the World race, had all manner of difficulties and ended up attempting to cheat by hanging about off South America (no satellite tracking in those days...), then returning home later to a hero's welcome.

Suffice to say his trimaran "Teignmouth Electron" started to fall apart around him, and all that time alone slowly drove him mad. I won't spoil the ending, but let's just say there's little chance of an autobiography.

A beautifully written yet strangely disturbing book. Highly recommended.

While we're on the subject of the Golden Globe, "A Voyage for Madmen" by Peter Nichols is also a good read...

Parsonsheath

Visit site
Re: \"The Strange Last Voyage...

What I did like with this book was they way in which he compared the characters involved, and (with the greatest respect to all of them) what a diverse bunch they were, and the effect this had on all.
The other thing this book did for me was to make me buy everything I had not read on Moitessier. and to envy him his outllooks and experience.

boguing

Visit site
Re: \"The Strange Last Voyage...

Wasn't it "The Amazing Voyage of.."? Which inspired a young Elaine Bunting to headline her story on Lisa Clayton "The amazing voyage of Lisa Clayton"