The Spy Who Loved Me

MapisM

Visit site
Wrong math, I'm afraid.
At 1:50 the boat does make 70mph, but in 20 seconds from there - i.e. at 2:10 - the speedo actually shows 160! :eek:

Wavey

Visit site
As promised I popped in to Shepperton yesterday afternoon and yes, the boat is still there. As luck would have it a friend of the owner was there working on the boat so we were able to have a chat.

Both the owner and his friend were aware of the alleged history of the boat and had done quite a lot of work comparing this one to the one in the film. They've satisfied themselves that it's not the same one. Various fittings on the film boat were missing on this one, not only missing but had never been there to start with. For example, where an aerial was fitted on the film boat this one never had an aerial in the same position. The deck is intact with no sign of any tell-tale holes having been filled in.

One engine is back in with the other to follow shortly. A bit more re-painting and she's due to be launched in a few weeks. Following that, the owner is having her shipped back to Australia. There's still plenty of work to do such as sorting the decks where some de-lamination has taken place.

A few pictures as she is now. Excuse the dodgy phone camera.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

It really is a drop dead gorgeous hull design and I hope the owner has the time, money and enthusiasm to see this project through.

The guy also mentioned the boat isn't 40ft as had been claimed, it's actually a 37. Not sure if Intermarine made boats in both lengths or not. He was aware of another sold in Italy for Euro 35,000 and wondered if that was the film boat, if of course it still exists at all.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Wavey, many thanks I really am indebted to you (in fact you've made my day).

Regarding the aerial, it's big whip one on the starboard rear quarter and is clearly visible in the Sardinia scene and at sea. However, when the boat docks in Atlantis the aerial cannot be seen (the scene is shot from the rear quarter). This is either due to the cameraman being careful and filming very slightly in front of the aerial (not wanting to get the aerial in the way) or the aerial isn't there and this is possibly a different boat. I like the second version and would like to think that whilst the Shepperton boat wasn't the main one it did still have a small part in the film.

That begs the question, where is the main boat. Perhaps the guy on Youtube knows where it is? I've sent him a message, I'll let you know if he replies.

I'll also ask Roger Moore if he can recall whether there were two boats or one and what happened to them.

In any case, it's nice to see a beautiful 70's powerboat being restored.

Thanks again.

Pete

DavidIntermarine

Visit site
I am the owner of the James Bond Intermarine 40 from The Spy Who Loved Me, thank you all for your interest.

I am not sure who provided some of the information quoted above about my boat but some is not accurate.

If you are a journalist and would like to do a story on the boat and its history please get in touch, likewise if you are interested in owning this special part of Bond's marine heritage.

Best regards,

David

petem

David,

Thanks for your private message. I'd love to know more about the boat (I remember falling in love with it as a kid back in 1977). I'd love to own it but I think my wife would kill me (if my bank manager didn't get there first)!

If the story is as interesting as I think it is then we might be able to get MBY to run an article on it. Is there something that you can share publicly or privately?

Cheers, Pete

benjenbav

Visit site
Making a tenuous connection with Spy Who Loved Me, I saw a Lotus Esprit which looked to be in virtually concours condition a few days ago. Not as modified by Q, but still very nice.

Firefly625

Visit site
Making a tenuous connection with Spy Who Loved Me, I saw a Lotus Esprit which looked to be in virtually concours condition a few days ago. Not as modified by Q, but still very nice.

a very original metallic brown Esprit pulled on the forecourt a couple of weeks ago, an early car with a set of whopping 14" wolfrace wheels..... so cute. But I must agree they make a nice retro classic.

Hugo_Andreae

Visit site
I am the owner of the James Bond Intermarine 40 from The Spy Who Loved Me, thank you all for your interest.

I am not sure who provided some of the information quoted above about my boat but some is not accurate.

If you are a journalist and would like to do a story on the boat and its history please get in touch, likewise if you are interested in owning this special part of Bond's marine heritage.

Best regards,

David

Hi David,

I'm the editor of Motor Boat & Yachting magazine that runs this forum. It certainly sounds like an interesting story which we may want to cover in the mag. Can you let me know where the boat is, what condition it is currently in and what proof you have that this was the actual boat used in the movie?

Thank you

Hugo

benjenbav

Visit site
Hugo - The other day I happened to be reading an article by Colin Goodwin about long-gone Autocar days and you flashing past him in a yellow Ferrari whilst he was driving a Porsche, thus upsetting his passenger and leading to him driving unwisely fast and getting dobbed in to Reading by someone who recognised the test car's 911 HUL plate. He did speak highly of your journalism though.

petem

David,

Thanks for your private message. I'd love to know more about the boat (I remember falling in love with it as a kid back in 1977). I'd love to own it but I think my wife would kill me (if my bank manager didn't get there first)!

If the story is as interesting as I think it is then we might be able to get MBY to run an article on it. Is there something that you can share publicly or privately?

Cheers, Pete

David, any chance of an update?

Pete

MarcoF82

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm writing because I know that the model used in the movie it's the Intermarine cigarette'37.
As far as I know, Intermarine has produced 17 boat and there is one which still to be in good shape placed in Italy.
I know pretty well that boat and it will be a pleasure answer to your question.

here an intresting link:

1-original catalogue:
http://nautipedia.it/index.php/INTERMARINE_CIGARETTE_37

Regards

Portofino

Visit site
Thx.
The good old days a proper boat .
Nice power / kg ratio --- 2x350 for a mere 6700 -- for the diesel shaft + mid mounted engines .

Last edited:

petem

Hi all,

I'm writing because I know that the model used in the movie it's the Intermarine cigarette'37.
As far as I know, Intermarine has produced 17 boat and there is one which still to be in good shape placed in Italy.
I know pretty well that boat and it will be a pleasure answer to your question.

here an intresting link:

1-original catalogue:
http://nautipedia.it/index.php/INTERMARINE_CIGARETTE_37

Regards

Thanks for reviving an old thread and enhancing my knowledge of this boat. The brochure page really illustrates what amazing boats these were.

I don't speak Italian but is the 37'S a jet drive boat? Certainly impressive top speed 90km/h!

Considering these were made 40+ years ago I think the styling is pretty impressive too.

Do you have any photos of the Italian one? Is it a 'GT' or 'S'?

MapisM

Visit site
I don't speak Italian but is the 37'S a jet drive boat? Certainly impressive top speed 90km/h!
I can't confirm first hand, but according to the brochure nope, the 37s has two BPM V12 500hp on props. Doesn't say whether SD, traditional shafts or somewhere in betweeen - IIRC Intermarine made some experiments on propulsion systems...
The GT had two 350hp Cummins with Jacuzzi 14YJ waterjets (whatever they were), but a fair bit slower (60 km/h).

MapisM

Visit site
I assume it's the same Jacuzzi firm that make hot tubs?
Probably, but I'm also just guessing.

PS: I just watched the YT video again, I don't think the rooster tail is anywhere near enough to suggest any sort of surface drives...
For what can be seen, it can well be waterjet, though.

Last edited:

tamarix

Visit site
Just reread this thread and was sure I posted some pics when I found her in Shepperton (21-08-11) but they don't seem to be there. So here they are.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: