The Ship, Lymington

maxi

Visit site
In a sparsely frequented pub, over a one hour wait for the first course of our meal, at one & three quarters of an hour & with no sighting of our sweets, we departed speaking to the "manager" who could not even raise an apology but suggested that it was up to the customer to go & find serving staff if they wanted thier food !!!

On top of which, the food very disappointing.

Shame, as we have enjoyed this pub over a period of c40 years, but probably not again.

xcw

Visit site
Went there on Sunday evening as our normal Lymington watering holes were either full or closed. Replace the final letter in The Ship with a "t" and you are getting close to the experience we had. The service was ok (for the type of place it is) but the food was appalling. The toilets were like a swamp. Haven't been there for years and won't be returning any time soon.

Afraid it's a bit like The Master Builder and The Banks Arms, they are goldmines due to their location and they don't need to try

ashtead

Visit site
We also had a somewhat unexpected visit to the Ship on Sunday evening . In their favour at least they were still serving after 8 ( slight drift here but the Mayflower cstops serving at 8 even though the staff said then had a dozen or so people trying to get food when we asked at 8) .
We sat outside (inside was some form of DJ playing something (why?) at high volume) and the staff helpfully cleared a table when we wanted to move to one with some light . They do seem to have blankets if cold outside . My impression is they dont have enough staff though to clear or serve . The food was indifferent so not really wanting to be there in first place I just had a starter of the heated cheese in breadcombs but others said the burger was best choice . The chips served with this were slightly soggy . The beer and wine served were fine. I did'nt venture to toilets but highly negative feedback from others on state so again poor mangement-unclean etc as opposed to any issue with actual facilities . As we had a four legged crew member with us our choice was limited ( the pub of choice was full) and so if anyone reading of the cullinary diaster that is the Ship has any dog friendly alternatives would be good.

In summary a pub which needs a new manager brought in along with new chef and a redecoration of inside faclities resting on its laurels.

I would suggets its fine for a quick pint early evening before eating at a proper venue