The secret life of trees. Colin Tudge

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Only just started this book all about trees

I'd like to think you were inspired by Poignard's post in another thread about a tree falling on a boat mid-ocean. ;)

Let us know what fun facts and ideas you discover.

I'm reminded there was a band named Trees in the 1970s. I know nothing about their music (let me guess - folk-rock?), but remember (why on earth has this been in my head for 50 years?) reading (probably in Melody Maker) one of the band explaining that they chose the name because trees are nice and they're necessary.

When you've finished that you might be interested by a book about wheat that I recently read a detailed review of (I'll post the title if I can find it again - p.s. see post #5 below). I'd never thought much at all about wheat, and had no idea how fundamental humans' domestication of wheat (or was it the other way around? :unsure:) was to human ability to escape the limitations of hunter-gathering, develop agriculture, hence settlement and population growth, cities, complex societies, etc. etc. The modern history of wheat is also fascinating - most of the wheat we eat (and its much more of a staple food (and other things) of modern society than I'd ever realised), was 'invented' in IIRC the 1940s, and while it brought high increases in yields it came with all sorts of risks and problems. Interesting, too, that wheat consumption is rocketing even in those parts of the world where rice or other crops were the traditional staple.

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
I'd like to think you were inspired by Poignard's post in another thread about a tree falling on a boat mid-ocean. ;)

I'm reminded there was a band named Trees in the 1970s. I know nothing about their music (let me guess - folk-rock?), but remember (why on earth has this been in my head for 50 years?) reading (probably in Melody Maker) one of the band explaining that they chose the name because trees are nice and they're necessary.

When you've finished that you might be interested by a book about wheat that I recently read a detailed review of (I'll post the title if I can find it again). I'd never thought much at all about wheat, and had no idea how fundamental humans' domestication of wheat (or was it the other way around? :unsure:) was to human ability to escape the limitations of hunter-gathering, develop agriculture, hence settlement and population growth, cities, complex societies, etc. etc. The modern history of wheat is also fascinating - most of the wheat we eat (and its much more of a staple food (and other things) of modern society than I'd ever realised), was 'invented' in IIRC the 1940s, and while it brought high increases in yields it came with all sorts of risks and problems. Interesting, too, that wheat consumption is rocketing even in those parts of the world where rice or other crops were the traditional staple.
No,after the picnic in the garden of SIL overlooking the ria de Vigo I retired indoors and found the book on a bookshelf as youdo.?The book on wheat sounds very interesting and I offer “COD” which is all about Cod I imagine a bit like Wheat a staple food at one time.Don’t recall the autor off hand but worth a read…..of of course you my have well read it ,it’s not a new tome..Mike Kurlansky

steve yates

Visit site

When you've finished that you might be interested by a book about wheat that I recently read a detailed review of (I'll post the title if I can find it again). I'd never thought much at all about wheat, and had no idea how fundamental humans' domestication of wheat (or was it the other way around? :unsure:) was to human ability to escape the limitations of hunter-gathering, develop agriculture, hence settlement and population growth, cities, complex societies, etc. etc. The modern history of wheat is also fascinating - most of the wheat we eat (and its much more of a staple food (and other things) of modern society than I'd ever realised), was 'invented' in IIRC the 1940s, and while it brought high increases in yields it came with all sorts of risks and problems. Interesting, too, that wheat consumption is rocketing even in those parts of the world where rice or other crops were the traditional staple.
Wasn't Sapiens was it? If not then worth a read of that too as the chapter on wheat domesticating humans is fascinating :)

Last edited:

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Last edited:

Hydrozoan

Visit site
My recommendation abouttrees is turning out to be a bit too full of Latin names …..not very exciting

This is a load of fun, Gus! Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake | Waterstones

Obvious connection with trees - and with the more 'secret' part of their existence, but a lot more too. (Not too many Latin names either - but I didn't recall that about the subject of your OP, though I did read it quite a long time ago).

RJami1

Visit site
Connection to trees is obvious, both in terms of the more "hidden" aspects of their life as well as much more. (There aren't a lot of Latin names either, but I don't remember that about the topic of your OP, even though I read it quite some time ago.)