The Round Britain & Ireland Race

Allan

Visit site
It's good to see Pip Hare doing so well. She's about to turn north up the west coast of Ireland. Shame her main competitor has dropped out.
Allan

Frogmogman

Visit site
It’s a shame for Pip that the only other IMOCA60, Oliver Heer, retired.

Pip seems to be going well, and barring any unforeseen incidents should win line honours, but having another boat in her class to spar with would have made it a more instructive exercise for her.

j80

Visit site
Mindful of low wind challenges all the finishers are rockstars and Jangada have deservedly added to their huge trophy cabinet - what races have they not won in 2 handed class?! Really enjoyed the amazingly close battle between Bellino and Mzungu! - thought when the latter had to sail without autopilot for what seemed like a couple of days that was digging deep. All finishers are an inspirational group of sailors.

flaming

Visit site
Don't think they've won the Fastnet DH yet...

The most interesting thing to me on this edition was the relative underperformance of the new 3300s Vs the older boats. I was expecting to see at least 1 3300 on the DH podium.

tsekul

Visit site
Don't think they've won the Fastnet DH yet...

The most interesting thing to me on this edition was the relative underperformance of the new 3300s Vs the older boats. I was expecting to see at least 1 3300 on the DH podium.
It’s a shame there were no JPK 1030’s or J99’s as it would have been good to compare. I’m not 100% convinced on the 3300’s think there may be a lot of hype as the were tagged as the boat for the Olympic double handed thats is not happening any more. Currently looking for a 1010 if I can get one , unlikey though.

j80

Visit site
Would the 3300 may present a more competitive proposition in planing conditions - or release in marginal stuff earlier? - i have no knowledge/experience of either

tsekul

Visit site
Quite a lot of upwind and light which the 3300 don’t like so much. But I was surprised that the 3600 had the better of them. Apparently they aren’t making anymore 3600’s

flaming

Visit site
Would the 3300 may present a more competitive proposition in planing conditions - or release in marginal stuff earlier? - i have no knowledge/experience of either
There was a 3300 in our class at Cowes. Granted they were sailing a bit short handed, but when we had a couple of windy days they were nothing like as fast downwind as I expected. On VMG running in 18-20 knots we (in a 1010) stepped away from them. They rate higher than us.
Overall I’m a bit underwhelmed by them currently.