The realities of dinghy cruising?

[165264]

Visit site
DJE's photos are terrific. (y)

Even after years enjoying my big dinghy, I don't fully understand the dinghy cruising instinct, especially in the heavy boats that are bigger than plenty of comfortable small yachts. For me, the only level at which dinghy cruising makes sense is the bargain basement.

If you don't have any boat, even the humblest dinghy will elevate your quality of life, and assuming you're independent-minded and not distracted by the majority who only go sailing in order to race, you'll straightaway enjoy the thrilling options of exploring under sail, navigating, passage-making, anchoring in sheltered havens and camping aboard. Bliss, weather permitting...

45222047815_d6d8fc8300_c.jpg

...but, it's natural to add extra kit to increase the comfort, convenience, safety and versatility of open-boat sailing. Doing so is never cheap, and the more you add, striving to increase the yacht-like feel and function of a cruising dinghy, the costlier it becomes, till finally it would certainly have been possible to buy and maintain a small yacht for the same cost.

The yacht would live afloat, or at least, in a place that requires zero hard work prior to each time you sail. The yacht would have a ballast keel, putting the dinghy-cruiser's rational but inescapable fear of capsize, out of mind. The yacht would have beds with dry cushions, and a fixed roof that doesn't flap, billow, leak or need assembling after dark while the rain soaks the bread and the wife sits grimly shaking her head, swearing she'll never come again.

So...dinghy cruising makes sense, until you're financially able to enjoy cabin-boating. For that reason, and especially when good (old) cabin-boats have never been cheaper, dinghy cruising has to be really cheap. I spent less on mine, than most people pay for a bicycle.

46136399331_019a9bfe4d_c.jpg

I long since stopped planning too much. I still take the oars because as long as I take them, I never need them. The tarp under the foredeck can be rigged up over the boom as a tent; and with a couple of cheap compressible sleeping bags and about a dozen pool-noodles to lie on, sleeping is perfectly possible even on the sloping deck. Anchor and line, and that's it.

I believe the simplicity and spontaneity of not preparing long lists of equipment, clothing, food, tanks of water, fuel, and emergency supplies as if we were Joshua Slocum, makes the appeal of sailing away in the dinghy and not coming back the same day, much more fun. If you need a clipboard to plan your trip, you ought to be sleeping in a cabin. ;)

I wonder if they're the same as the one I bought. The fact you say yours are Italian makes me think they probably are. I'm glad I only bought one, because despite claiming that it could carry a 400kg load, I wouldn't trust it to carry a quarter of that weight over a clean carpet without bursting or getting a puncture. Very lightweight kit, but quite a fun toy in a swimming pool.

44350660680_a585f1f440.jpg
That looks like Ashlet Creek to me and like you had Weston Sailing Club membership stickers on the stern?

[165264]

Visit site
I admire you folk, I really do, but I can't think of any way that I could have slept in our Laser Stratos. That was pretty big, as dinghies go, and we did have an outboard for it, but we never made it outside of Soton Water. Long story. A couple of years ago, realising I would probably never sail a dinghy again, we gave it to Soton Sea Scouts.

[165264]

Visit site
Hello Brainstorm, I'm astonished that a photo of a cabin, picked almost randomly, has been recognised next day by its owner!

I was thinking of the Corribee as one of the best examples of an inexpensive small cruiser, and I haven't seen a nicer example than yours. I hope you get to see her soon. Below is Sam Llewellyn's Corribee. With so many nice cheap cabin-boats like these around, I don't believe anybody cruises a dinghy unless they have a slightly barmy streak.

49926964462_a1f7ca3cef_c.jpg

My own exercise in madness, as you observed, is a Mark 2 glassfibre Osprey. These days I mostly day-sail, trying to summon the courage to trapeze single-handed. Just one rotten photo of that.

49926047928_99afc0372a_o.jpg

But I do like drying out in a creek or dropping anchor, then sitting low in the deep cockpit enjoying soup and coffee from flasks and lighting a cigar in the sun. It creates a deep sense of un-dinghy-like relaxation, which contrasts nicely after a very active sail to get there. That's my hybrid way of making the best of the limits in a boat with no accommodation, but I doubt it's what other dinghy cruisers actually seek.

When SWMBO isn't so nervous of my steering, perhaps she'll enjoy it, too. ?

I usually dry out in Marchwood Priory, with all the others.

bassett53

Visit site
Downwest gave, for me, a very relevant reply to the practicalities of dinghy cruising. I am 70, I live in Normandy but I am thinking of moving to Vannes in Brittany. I last sailed about 20 years ago - a hobby cat. I am far from experienced but I enjoyed lifting one keel at speed. Although I like a bit of performance I am more interested in getting a dinghy to explore the archipelago at Vannes and the estuary at Auray with my wife and a couple of fishing rods. Ideally sailing out in the morning and back in the afternoon with fishing and lunch when the weather is hot. I saw 3 boats that have given me ideas but I would be interested in your take on them for me. One was a wayfairer, another was a Chuck paine 14. And the last was a vivier heberon. They are all quite different in terms of ballast, sail area and weight. I want to have a bit of fun, sometimes staying in a tent but mainly I prefer a hotel bed, shower and cooked breakfast. I will probably find a completely different boat but any comments you have about them for my intended use would be helpful. Importantly I do not want to end up in the water and if the weather is bad I have other things to do.

bassett53

Visit site
Downwest gave, for me, a very relevant reply to the practicalities of dinghy cruising. I am 70, I live in Normandy but I am thinking of moving to Vannes in Brittany. I last sailed about 20 years ago - a hobby cat. I am far from experienced but I enjoyed lifting one keel at speed. Although I like a bit of performance I am more interested in getting a dinghy to explore the archipelago at Vannes and the estuary at Auray with my wife and a couple of fishing rods. Ideally sailing out in the morning and back in the afternoon with fishing and lunch when the weather is hot. I saw 3 boats that have given me ideas but I would be interested in your take on them for me. One was a wayfairer, another was a Chuck paine 14. And the last was a vivier heberon. They are all quite different in terms of ballast, sail area and weight. I want to have a bit of fun, sometimes staying in a tent but mainly I prefer a hotel bed, shower and cooked breakfast. I will probably find a completely different boat but any comments you have about them for my intended use would be helpful. Importantly I do not want to end up in the water and if the weather is bad I have other things to do.
I guess if it was a car then historically I liked my VW golf the best, easy to manoeuvre with good legs for motorways. But now I am inclined towards something like a Dacia Duster 4x4 for farm tracks and between town driving. Sports cars and BMWs etc are not part of my lifestyle anymore.

Gsailor

Visit site
I only know of one of the boats you mention - the wayfarer.

Good seaworthy dinghy, easy to reef. Takes an outboard. Rows well. BUT it is heavy on its trolley for launching and recovery - very heavy - even on the flat with a 3 wheeled trolley - add trying to pull it up anything over 30 degree slope and a winch may be called for.

If on a mooring, not so much a problem, quite spacious for gear and moving around.

If sailed sensibly, capsize should be unheard of.

DownWest

Visit site
Hi Bassett53
Noticed that you had 'followed' me, so looked up the thread..
Life has got in the way a bit on the build of the Micro derivative, but just needs a lick of paint before launch. It is easily towable behind my Kangoo and has the basic amenities that an open boat lacks, not to mention the stability that a 45% ballast keel gives. My Oughtred Whilly Tern is going on the market after a tidy up.
If you do move to the area of the Golf de Morbihan, it is great for small boat sailing, just need to cater for the very strong tides, up to 10kts!. Along with the local friend I mentioned, I have been to the festival up there. He, by the way, has just launched his 'next' boat, A 20ft gaff rigged sharpie. The 15ft gaffer he has sailed for 20yrs, is a bit tight in the added cabin and the new boat has more ballast for a less agile sail, we are both mid 70s and getting a bit creaky.. Plus, he can leave the rig at home and cruise the Charente under engine, which his wife will enjoy (she doesn't do 'tippy'). Gives a little galley and potty space..

B27

Visit site

Good seaworthy dinghy, easy to reef. Takes an outboard. Rows well. BUT it is heavy on its trolley for launching and recovery - very heavy - even on the flat with a 3 wheeled trolley - add trying to pull it up anything over 30 degree slope and a winch may be called for.

If on a mooring, not so much a problem, quite spacious for gear and moving around.

Frank Dye capsized several times.
Some people died capsizing a well-loaded (or maybe badly loaded) Wayfarer in the W Solent IIRC.

To say 'capsizing should be unheard' of is just dangerous rubbish, should any armchair dinghy cruisers ever go afloat.

Wayfarer cruising is one part history and 99 parts 'internet only'.

Gsailor

Visit site
Frank Dye capsized several times.
Some people died capsizing a well-loaded (or maybe badly loaded) Wayfarer in the W Solent IIRC.

To say 'capsizing should be unheard' of is just dangerous rubbish, should any armchair dinghy cruisers ever go afloat.

Wayfarer cruising is one part history and 99 parts 'internet only'.
I must have been lucky not to have capsized mine then.

Or perhaps I was a good sailor.

I don’t understand your reference to 99% internet.

I was always careful because the outboard in the aft locker would not have liked a dunking.

PS What Frank Dye did was most unusual and almost unheard of, so to speak. Thinking of what he did is the stuff of nightmares (taking no credit away from him in the least)

Also, one could question whether he was “cruising sensibly” in regard to what I wrote and you did not fully quote me - I said:

“If sailed sensibly, capsize should be unheard of.”

I only know of one other unusual feat and I think that was one or two youngsters sailing a wayfarer around Britain ... I think this was what I was remembering - I am not going to read it, I do not know if he capsized.

Hafren Round Britain – UK Wayfarer Association

The person I replied to used to sail a hoby cat - certainly I am not advising an armchair sailor.

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
When I was cruising in my Macwester “Kelpie” under sail and oar I came across an even smaller craft that overtook me crossing Lyme Bay using a seagull outboard,If I recall correctly whilst in Yarmouth both owners were reading the Sunday papers and there just seemed enough space to open both broadsheets……13 foot clinker Bermudian open boat…….and don’t forget “tinkerbelle”

oldbloke

Visit site
My only advice would be to buy an established class rather than a one off so that when you discover it is the wrong boat you can easily swap it for another.

bassett53

Visit site

I think you are correct and is the lightest of the three. More to the point it is very cheap compared to the others and available second hand. I think in France there are many free slipways so buying a winch is not going to break the bank. I think it is a good first boat, maybe a last boat.

bassett53

Visit site
Thank you all, an elderly wayfarer is probably my plan. House move next year followed by a cheap boat for pottering around and a bit of light fishing during lazy lunch breaks. By the way, I am inexperienced, there is a big difference between a moored cat 20 odd years ago when I was middle aged and a dinghy on a trailer. The point is such a boat will not make me feel a failure if the dream does not match reality and it will be cheap enough to donate it.

Frogmogman

Visit site
If you really want to make friends and impress people in Brittany, buy something wooden, gaff rigged, and preferably with brown sails.

I enjoy the YouTube videos that Roger Barnes posts about his sailing exploits…

bassett53

Visit site
Thank you, I have gone through many of his videos and I have asked him a question about his boat and the next size up which is gaff rigged. If sailing matches up to my expectations I expect I will buy something easily available for immediate use and think about a possible upgrade path that lets me wear a blue stripey sweater and beret but I like white sails and a white hull however,and probably rather stupidly, I think a bowsprit looks really cool so maybe it gets me part way there. I need something which suits my wife and me and unless I strike lucky or she hates being afloat that means 2 boats - the equivalent of a comfy shopping car for us plus a French pop pop for me. But I think one of each mode of transport is more than enough.

doug748

Visit site

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Having sailed a wayfarer……combined wth a hotel accommodation seems a good plan
I must say that the hotel is getting more and more attractive, especially for the First Mate. Nevertheless, repairs to the boom tent are on the list of winter projects.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Quiberon Bay and the Morbihan must be about as good as dinghy cruising can get, even though back when I tried it, many of the islands were owned by the French MOD. We took our Dart cat, we had a cover that came down to the ground in front and behind the beams/tramp, and an eye to hoist taut with the main halyard. That gave a double sized area under the tramp with the boat pulled above the hw mark. I don't think 'er indoors would go for that any more, but, come to think of it, neither would I.