The Queen's Birthday storm

Chae_73

Visit site
Interesting documentary (and thought provoking and scary and sad).

It's notable that, with the exception of the catamaran which was deliberately run down at the request of its owner, and another boat which sank as a result of the rescue process, the boats which were abandoned, survived.

It seems that having a strategy for avoiding injury as a result of being throw around inside your boat, and for avoiding injury from other objects being thrown around inside your boat, are worth consideration.

Poey50

Visit site
It seems that having a strategy for avoiding injury as a result of being throw around inside your boat ...

That was my thought too. Quite a lot of thought often seems to be put into securing heavy objects but I've not really come across the same consideration to strapping in the crew when in survival mode.

Chae_73

Visit site
Agree that securing heavy objects does get some attention, eg batteries. I seem to remember that the skipper of Grimalkin in the '79 Fastnet received a head injury from a flying object.

But securing people doesn't seem to get the same attention. No-one would want to be in a car crash without a seatbelt.

zoidberg

Visit site
Agree that securing heavy objects does get some attention, eg batteries. I seem to remember that the skipper of Grimalkin in the '79 Fastnet received a head injury from a flying object.
But securing people doesn't seem to get the same attention. No-one would want to be in a car crash without a seatbelt.

Several competitors in the last Golden Globe race were injured when 'knocked down'.....

zoidberg

Visit site
It's worth bearing in mind that one can encounter those conditions in the Celtic Sea, or halfway down Biscay... in fact, in several places around our coasts.