The pleasure of keeping old stuff running

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
One of my two Garmin 128s has finally given up finding satellites over the last couple of trips out. So today I took the plunge, opened it up, and soldered in a new internal battery. It’s come straight back to life and, as it’s wired up to its twin, by setting both to the ancient ‘garmin’ proprietary NMEA I was able to beam all my waypoints and routes back into it too. So it’s good for at least another 20 years’ service!

I have a parallel N2K system, chart plotter etc but I like these old garmin units as a simple and low-power backup. I realised I was absurdly pleased by keeping this old kit going and there’s a real pleasure in keeping old systems running if they continue to perform as expected.

neil_s

Visit site
I have a Stowe trail log with a lovely analog meter. It is a lot more accurate than the paddlewheel - through the bottom digital log and I have converted it to take AA pencells instead of a PP9. All go!

Tranona

Visit site
Also Garmin 45 from early 90's still working. Remember leaving it on top of the dustbin all day after the dreaded (not) 2000 rollover to pick up the satellites.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
One my previous boat, I had a Cetrek 730 autopilot.
Wasn't able to network it, but it gave sterling service during 14 years of ownership.
I have learned from the new owner that he will have to replace it as the control unit stopped working and spares/replacements are impossible to find.

Skylark

Visit site
My 1997-bought Garmin GPS-II+ is sort of still working; just the minor point that the screen is totally unreadable! My somewhat newer Yellow eTrex is going the same way...
I also bought a GPS 2 Plus in 1997 and it’s still kept in its original box. I fire it up every couple of years and it continues to work apart from it does not show the correct date. Screen readability is good. In 1998 I bought the newer version, GPS12 and this still works, too. Same issue with date, though.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
I also bought a GPS 2 Plus in 1997 and it’s still kept in its original box. I fire it up every couple of years and it continues to work apart from it does not show the correct date. Screen readability is good. In 1998 I bought the newer version, GPS12 and this still works, too. Same issue with date, though.
My 128s do not have the right date either. They think it’s October 2001

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I have a Stowe trail log with a lovely analog meter. It is a lot more accurate than the paddlewheel - through the bottom digital log and I have converted it to take AA pencells instead of a PP9. All go!
Modernist! I use a Walker log, with no silly batteries.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I think maybe you needed to have updated the "epoch" for them to have the right date. A bit like the notorious "Y2k" bug, the date does not have enough bits allocated. So my devices show convincing dates, such as in this screen-grab file of the same date:
1622830927620.png
Or this obtained from my eTrex just now. It is running a bit fast, but has not seen the sky in months!
1622831657856.png

Attachments

• 1622831593186.png
    1622831593186.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
I have a Stowe trail log with a lovely analog meter.
I have one of those and use it a fair bit ! I run mine on a pp3 . Get a fair few yelling at me that im trailing a rope..
Ive recently retired my seafarer voyager wind instrument after 35 years of spinning round.. The display has failed and the direction does not register. shame as the annometer mechanical parts are still in great working order..

Skylark

Visit site
I put batteries in my GPS12 this morning and it found its position remarkably quickly given that it had not been used for a few years, The date shown is 20th October 2001 but everything else is correct.

There's nothing in any of the screens to suggest a way to change and/or update it. I seem to recall, many years ago, asking Garmin if there was a software update to correct the issue but don't recall them showing a great deal of interest.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I put batteries in my GPS12 this morning and it found its position remarkably quickly given that it had not been used for a few years, The date shown is 20th October 2001 but everything else is correct.

There's nothing in any of the screens to suggest a way to change and/or update it. I seem to recall, many years ago, asking Garmin if there was a software update to correct the issue but don't recall them showing a great deal of interest.
I've just had a look at the Garmin protocol features and don't see a way of doing the epoch update there either. There is an item for updating the Almanac but I don't think I ever did that. I don't remember how I accomplished it, but I did keep the firmware up to date...

neil_s

Visit site
Modernist! I use a Walker log, with no silly batteries.
I have one, too. I also have the speed meter but unfortunately it no longer works. Walker is retired to display position at home - but the shoes are still fitted on the quarters so it can come back into service any time!