The Old Forge, Knoydart

dunedin

Visit site
Vague memory that there is a note on the admirably chart that states Loch Nevis is shit to anchor in, or words to that affect.
Loch Nevis squalls. Loch Nevis is dangerous in strong winds as squalls are violent and and of variable direction. See Admiralty Sailing Directions.

So not about anchoring per se, but about the squalls (presumably off the steep hills).

PS In my experience it was the midges that were more dangerous at the Old Forge.

NormanS

Visit site
What is not to understand? Look at the chart, if my recollection is wrong, fair enough. I think the note says something about very strong winds.

You are perfect NormanS in every way, you always say so.
Ooh! You're very touchy. Maybe your name is entirely appropriate. 😄
I believe that the chart warning actually refers to strong gusts of winds, something which is of course common to all mountainous sea lochs.

Aja

Visit site
Personally, I don't understand that. I know that over the years, I have successfully anchored in at least 13 different locations in Loch Nevis. It's a large stretch of water with many possibilities to anchor, depending on the weather conditions.
Maybe someone sometime was unsuccessful, and reported it to the "admirably" 😀
To be fair to the anchoring warnings on the charts, it does say that strong winds would likely make parts of the Loch untenable but, and there is always a but, the chart does suggest anchoring spots, and of the two they suggest one is in 25m and the other is 25-28.
Apart from the upper part through the narrows there are no real anchorages that I would say are 'go to'. Most people want to go to the pub so there is a greater reliance on picking up a mooring rather than anchoring.

The Loch is quite pleasant but apart from the pub is not one of my favourite destinations in that area.

Mark-1

Visit site
Allegedly, it's a lot simpler if your use the helipad

As pictured here, unless it's been photoshopped?
Scotland's most remote pub can be yours for £425,000-plus

Is there a helipad or has it just landed on a suitable patch of ground. I've seen helicopters land at Newtown Creek and all kinds of gardens around Solent where I'm pretty sure there are no helipads. Largs Marina too, although that might have been a helipad. 🤔

.....and an Apache on a random bit of heath in the New Forest.

penfold

Visit site
Is there a helipad or has it just landed on a suitable patch of ground. I've seen helicopters land at Newtown Creek and all kinds of gardens around Solent where I'm pretty sure there are no helipads. Largs Marina too, although that might have been a helipad. 🤔

.....and an Apache on a random bit of heath in the New Forest.
It's just a flat stretch of grass between the road and the beach.

Mataji

Visit site
Last time I was at the Forge the moorings were very uncomfortable doe to weather. Found a safe and comfortable mooring further down the Loch in Tarbet Bay.