The Nautical Mile

johnalison

Visit site
I think you need a powerful intuition to deduce that a bigger planet doesn't need extra girth...
I think that is true, but you can also deduce it from the way the question is phrased. It comes into a category of questions where you can assume that the answer is deducable by making an assumption, otherwise they wouldn't be asking the question. This may not be very satisfying to purists but it helps when faced with a quiz or exam.

halcyon

Visit site
I think that is true, but you can also deduce it from the way the question is phrased. It comes into a category of questions where you can assume that the answer is deducable by making an assumption, otherwise they wouldn't be asking the question. This may not be very satisfying to purists but it helps when faced with a quiz or exam.

I'm still trying to work out what the worry is with a slight difference in measurement between the equator and pole ?

Brian

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Perhaps easier to think of Christmas Dinner and Trouser Belt.
I had in mind that it only works because the formula is linear. If you think of the world being wrapped in the manner of the so-called artists that like to do that sort of thing. Then when you erect your 10m high trestles all over the world the amount of extra wrapping paper you need will vary with initial diameter...