The Med in Winter

Portofino

Visit site
Looks great .
Liguaria was put on Swiss quarantine mid Sept ( more than 24 hrs , passing through was ok )
This week end the whole of Italy followed .
We think that’s was / is a way of controlling movement around 1/2 term .Fair enough.
Consequently we have packed it in early , boating .

How ever the snow has arrived early so as on door closes another opens .Our glacier opened for skiing .
73F1F761-8A95-4FBC-91EC-28ABCD9D5831.jpeg

Bouba

Visit site
Over here they have put the big cities with a high R rate on curfew. But said everyone is free to travel where they want during the half term! So I suspect all of France will suffer soon

DownWest

Visit site
On Burgers... France has the highest percapita number of Mc Dos after the US, so you are in good French company. :D Er, maybe that should not be good, perhaps 'not so good with health', tho I suppose it is about how big the Mac is...and how often.
Oh, nice and sunny here too, half way up La Belle

Bouba

Visit site
On Burgers... France has the highest percapita number of Mc Dos after the US, so you are in good French company. :D Er, maybe that should not be good, perhaps 'not so good with health', tho I suppose it is about how big the Mac is...and how often.
The other great thing is that recently hot dogs have become popular here?????????

DownWest

Visit site
The other great thing is that recently hot dogs have become popular here?????????
You and that US guy, keeping good old Americun traditions going. Oh, just (almost) remembered his name, something like Triumph? or Thrump? Must look at Fox to check, think they know..

Must say, that salad in #61 did look nice. Sortof thing we do often.

vas

Visit site
didn't realise I've become a salad expert Bouba :)
last one you posted today also looks good, a French take on Greek salad hence the pieces of baguette in it :)
Bouba, as long as you don't eat burgers, I'm happy!

Bouba

Visit site
Yesterday was so hot and perfect both on the water and the island, so guess what today is? That’s right it’s perfect!
On a more serious note. I can sit here all day watching boats going up and down each pontoon looking for a gap to park in. What if one of you bright sparks invents a system to let the poor boater know before they embark on this perilous mission, what the current parking situation is.
I can see such a developer enriching themselves to the tune of many hundreds of euros

vas

Visit site
easy,

custom software on a drone that you fly reaching the port, spoting and giving the onboard GPS the coords of a space that the boat fits!
:p

Bouba

Visit site
I thought drone as well! What is it that they say about brilliant minds thinking alike?

Reactions: vas

Uricanejack

Visit site
My recollection of the Mediterranean winter is mostly pleasant. I am quite surprised by comments you can’t swim thee in the winter. Again my recollection the sea was mostly pleasant. sea temp not changing much.
Of course I’m a diver and used to go diving year round in the UK still occasional swim in winter here in vancouver BC, so I might have a slightly warped perspective.
the waters fine it’s when you get out it’s a bit cold.

There are times though, when it can be bloody cold In the Mediterranean. It can also be very stormy. Full on storm force winds are not uncommon.
So mostly pleasant occasionally quite unpleasant. Fortunately the unpleasant is just occasional.
My opinion so long as you are prepared for the occasional unpleasant spells the Mediterranean would be quite a nice place to spend a winter.

Portofino

Visit site
Brings back memories.
Do you ever stay at Port Cros , we used to do that as well when we popped over ?
No shore power or water on the jetties , but you have a geny now ? .Once we were stuck there - Mistral .

2A3884D7-73B9-448C-805B-EFA40389CBC0.jpeg
You can go on a buoy or anchor , like this and tender in .
19908D3D-F46B-42C8-8745-2886DABAA114.jpeg
Has a Caribbean feel to the place .beach side bar ^^^ .

Bouba

Visit site
Brings back memories.
Do you ever stay at Port Cros , we used to do that as well when we popped over ?
No shore power or water on the jetties , but you have a geny now ? .Once we were stuck there - Mistral .

View attachment 100978
You can go on a buoy or anchor , like this and tender in .
View attachment 100979
Has a Caribbean feel to the place .beach side bar ^^^ .
I agree it’s a stunning place with a tropical feel. I’ve been there in a little boat by myself. But the wife says dogs are not allowed so we’ve never been there. Porquerolles today was pretty crowded, we have just arrived at home, lots of appointments and other non boaty stuff to do. But it’s been a beautiful sunny warm three days although the nights are chilly and you wake up to a soaking wet boat

Portofino

Visit site
I agree it’s a stunning place with a tropical feel. I’ve been there in a little boat by myself. But the wife says dogs are not allowed so we’ve never been there. Porquerolles today was pretty crowded, we have just arrived at home, lots of appointments and other non boaty stuff to do. But it’s been a beautiful sunny warm three days although the nights are chilly and you wake up to a soaking wet boat
Loadsa dogs , they need to be on a lead ,not running loose , the whole island is some sort of nature reserve/ national park and most of the sea bed around ,Its a great dive place full of fish We have had no problems taking our dog shore .
One mini shop for essentials and 3 restaurants.

kashurst

Visit site
This is what you need for proper med boating. Conditions on the Costa Blanca are getting tougher and more arduous by the day - yesterday I had to wear a jumper! This morning there were some actual waves.
So you need proper food- none of your salad nonsense- The full English with Richardsons sausage.

sioPkf8.jpg

Yes it was terrific :D