The Management of River Moorings in Kingston

Scapegoat

Visit site
Dear River Users and friends of the River
Please complete the questionnaire below and circulate the link to members of the Clubs and Organisations that you represent. You do not have to be a Kingston resident to complete it.
The management of river moorings in Kingston
It is important that river users' voices are heard.

I have been working closely with Kingston Council Officers and Councillors on this project over the last year, and have had some input into the questions. I am optimistic that it will lead to better arrangements being in place for visitor moorings in Kingston in 2022.

If you are a boater who visits Kingston regularly, or maybe has stopped visiting Kingston for various reasons, I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences. If you send me a few lines in an email, I will collate them (anonymously) in an anecdotal report to go to the Council to supplement their survey.

Kind regards
Steve

Steve Collins
Head of Unit
Kingston Maritime Volunteer Service

Scapegoat

Visit site
Great result! Received this today

“ Thank you for taking the time to share your views on the management of river moorings in Kingston.

We wanted to let you know that 392 of you filled in our survey and the analysis of all your responses shows that the majority of people support the introduction of mooring fees in order to deter boats that overstay moorings.

80% of you were in favour of introducing mooring fees, 82% of you wanted these to be in place all year and 91% supported the use of penalty charges for overstaying permitted mooring times.

There was significant support for the council to take a more rigorous approach to enforcement, so we have produced some options for the council's committees to review.

These proposals and next steps are now going through our committee cycle and will be discussed at the neighbourhood committees this week. The final decision will then be made at Place Committee on 11 November. If you'd like to listen to the discussion, you can watch the committee online.

If everyone is in agreement, it is proposed to implement mooring fees and licensing from 1 April 2022. The statutory process involved in new byelaws would mean that, should new byelaws be progressed, it would take at least a further twelve months.

We'd like to thank you again for taking the time to tell us your thoughts.

Kind regards

Kingston Council

Bran

Visit site
Also got the email, we stayed overnight in Kingston last Friday, great meal, hope the moorings improve. Looked like the Hampton Court side moorings opposite Kingston were just about full of narrow boats moored with a 25 to 30 foot gap between each boat. DE not enforcing?

Scapegoat

Visit site
Also got the email, we stayed overnight in Kingston last Friday, great meal, hope the moorings improve. Looked like the Hampton Court side moorings opposite Kingston were just about full of narrow boats moored with a 25 to 30 foot gap between each boat. DE not enforcing?
We moored on the Barge Walk in August - quite a lot of mooring spaces but the bankside is difficult as it is mostly overgrown with a sloping bank - shame really. Charters Quay was too shallow - probably would benefit from dredging.
Electric hire boats were very popular and caused no excess wash as they go at at a sensible speed

st599

Visit site
Does the Victorian punting shelf not extend as far as Canbury Gardens? Quite a lot of that side of the river is only a foot or so deep.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Anyway don't know what happened there but Canbury Gardens and Barge walk are on different sides.

the low flat bank at barge walk (opposite the Gazebo pub) was created when the bridge was being widened as a temporary mooring for the residential craft now back in position immediately upstream and under the bridge on the Barge Walk side.
Before that it was a sloped paved bank down to the water line not practical for mooring against.

(I didn't format this as bold it just happened for some reason)