The major restoration of Chance (Token) James Silver Western Isles Motor sailer

ianc1200

Visit site
Doing 5 years apart search;

1950 Lloyds Register; Chance owned by Lovat Crosley at Greenock
1955 Lloyds Register; Token owned by Captain (S) S.J. Read mm, CBE, R.D, R.N.R port of Southampton
1960/65/70 Lloyds Registers; Token owned by the Hercules Engineering Company, Southampton.
1975/80 Lloyds Registers; Token owned by Edward W & E. D. Boxall at Hamble

jstarmarine

Visit site
Doing 5 years apart search;

1950 Lloyds Register; Chance owned by Lovat Crosley at Greenock
1955 Lloyds Register; Token owned by Captain (S) S.J. Read mm, CBE, R.D, R.N.R port of Southampton
1960/65/70 Lloyds Registers; Token owned by the Hercules Engineering Company, Southampton.
1975/80 Lloyds Registers; Token owned by Edward W & E. D. Boxall at Hamble
Hi ianc1200,

Thank you for your research , it will help me track down her history.

Kind Regards

Simon

jstarmarine

Visit site
This photo is of the engineering space aboard Chance full of old out of date equipment and wiring which is all going to be removed and new up to date electrical wiring and equipment will be fitted to bring up to date and safe.

Just a sea of old old out of date equipment and wiring and bilge pump

Much of this equipment as not been updated in decades if in some case never

jstarmarine

Visit site
The original heads in the aft cabin with its sink and original toilet

Having taken off the ensign and flag box off the main bulkhead we can see the colour of the original wood finish.

Simple and down to earth engine controls, I will looking to find if the instruments can restored or new original looking gauges can be found

The ships wheel is from the period of her launch and cam from Simpson & Lawrence of Glasgow

A view out of the wheelhouse from the steering position along the long foredeck which at the moment does not have its main mast or guardrails fitted which will be restored and hen refitted at a later stage of the restoration

jstarmarine

Visit site
The view forward from the starboard side showing off the butterfly skylights and forecabin hatch which in time will be removed and restored and re-varnished to look like they were when she was originally launched in 1948

The original compass which is going to go to be restored by a compass restorer

The masts for the boat which apart from a bit of age damage are in reasonable condition which with a good sanding and lot of varnish will look good once more and will be able bed on new sails and be able set sail on the high seas again

A couple of family members heling get the restoration project underway and I am sure there are going to be friends to help along the way

jstarmarine

Visit site
The original main saloon bunk back and it doubles as a bunk bed when in harbour

With the back rest in the bunk bed position can see the hull more easily

he galley sink which is going to be revamped and made to look more original

This cooker I will think long about restoring it as I am not sure that it is in the correct position

The original ships number from Lloyds Ship register which I will now have to do more research on

The forward bilge area which is full oily water and dirt of other types which will be the first area to be cleared out so that bilges can be cleaned and repainted

jstarmarine

Visit site
The main saloon/ cabin starboard side an area which will need restoring back to it former glory and condition

Some old speed and depth equipment

one of the boats former owners long since flown the nest

The galley area port side with an area for a gimballed cooker

another view of the forward bilge with a pond pump laying in the bilge which was got to work and was able to remove much of the water

The forecabin which not original and there should be to bunk and a toilet in this area

There is a spilt plank below the rubbing strake between two butt joints which will need to be investigated as a matter of priority

tillergirl

Visit site
Well, photographs can deceive but she looks basically in reasonable condition. I appreciate that there is much to do but it looks she can be saved. And saved well. The deck looks very good in the circumstances or does it deceive? As to planking, if there is only the one obvious place for renovation that would be excellent. I am sure though you will find some other problems of course. Frames shown all look good but delving in the bilge of course is everything. The sheer still looks good, any concerns about that? It looks she has been well supported?

I am intrigued by the engine controls, especially that long handle. But all that stuff is really immaterial at this stage. Much of the original furniture looks there which will be great.

Will you be able to bring her under cover? She is not the smallest.

Well done.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I guessed. But I was surprised by the length of the handles!
Early memories of boating! Before we had our own dinghy, we had a holiday on the Broads - a motor boat called Jocelyn. But I'm reminded of my brother falling off the helmsman's seat and winding himself on the gear lever. He was about 3 at the time, I think! I learnt to row during that holiday - I would have been about 5. I still remember being ever so proud when mum and dad let me row the dinghy (a heavy wooden one) on my own.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Hi Gary,
I intent to put it back as it was originally done, double diagonal, Also may even varnish it. I know one thing, if I can get rid of the paint on the aft cabin sides and the wheelhouse they are going to be re-varnished as they would of been when she was originally build. First job is to get Chance (Token) leveled up and hull supported correctly and then mark off the work needed and make a restoration plan and costing for each stage.
Do as detailed plan as you can and cost the stages as accurately as you can, then double it and you will be in the ball park.

jstarmarine

Visit site
The reason for this is two fold, firstly to expose the inside areas of the hull and gauge the extend of the rot in the planking behind parts of the hull covered by panelling and lockers. Secondly to be able to re-fix the hull planking in the same way it was done originally copper nails and roves and not to relay on just screws. Because this is going to be a full on restoration the rebuilding of the hull planking will be in the same method as used when Chance was built in 1948.

The forward cabin is especially in need of measurement being taken and photograph of all the items that are in their present position. However, looking at other James Silver's of a similar size. The hull was not panelled out like Chance, but bare painted hull will mahogany battens screwed on to the frames and ribs to act as back rests for the bunks when the crew are sleeping in the forward cabin. I expect to find evidence of this when I remove the present panelling off the frames as it is done presently.

In the aft master cabin the layout is completely not originally as the cabin bunk arrangement is athwartships which is not the way this was originally built on other James Silver's of a similar age and size there are two bunks aft and a chest of drawers in the aft end of the cabin. The hope is to remove the present arrangement and see if there are witness marks of the original arrangement and if there is a chance there are plans available which will make it possible to re-fit the original from her build plans and put it back the way she way in 1948.

So that is my plan of action for my next trip to Chance and her ongoing restoration

jstarmarine

Visit site
James Silver Western Isles TSMY Chance Restoration Project

Chance is presently in a crane hire yard in Woodplumpton near Preston in Lancashire.
First day at the Chance was to take a good look around the boat and see how much work was going to be needed to make her sound to move her back to Walton on the Naze where my yard is situated.

The second visit to Chance was with my family and Brother John who helps removes the rubbish from the inside of the cabins. Loose Items, such as the Masts and Booms, which were placed under the boat on blocks to keep them off the ground and keep them straight and out of the weather.
Other items such as cupboard / locker doors and drawers were removed and put in my works van to be transported back to my workshop to be put into storage until they are repaired or new doors and drawer are made where necessary.
Other rubbish which included old vacuum clearer and a number of other items which were removed so the floorboards could be accessed to take a look in the bilge areas of the hull to see what was in them and how much work was going to be needed to clear and sort out this area of the boat.
Then my brother and I put a partial cover over the back of the boat to keep the weather off the hole in the transom and over the aft cabin which is in a bit of a poor condition at present and a partial cover over the cockpit windows to keep the weather out of the cockpit area as well.
The next time I go up to Chance, I will start to make a set of temporary floor boards and remove the original floor boards, so that they can be cleaned up and remove all the dirt and oil which is covering them and the bilge at the present time. At the same time start to remove the panels in the sides of the forecabin and see what they are hiding behind them. Then turn our attention to the aft cabin and remove the aft cabin berth which is not the original berth when Chance was build
If we have time we will hope to remove the internal ballast which is the bilge area in the main and forecabin. Once the ballast weights are out of the way then the job of cleaning the forward end of the bilge can begin and see the extent of it condition.
The following time it will be the turn of the removing all the fore and aft lockers and cupboards so that we can access to the hull from the inside in all the cabins. Carefully taking measurements of all the parts we remove so that as much as is possible to refit can be refitted at a later date once the hull repairs are done and the hull is repainted on the inside with bilge paint in the bilge areas and white gloss in the areas which were painted that way when she was first built.

jstarmarine

Visit site
The aft cabin berths now half removed yo expose the original berth design underneath the berth design put in by a later owner

part of the original framework which is going to be re-instated later in the restoration

one of the original davit sockets still bolted in the boat

the steering cable tubes for the steering wires to run through

a good clean up in the aft cabin once the remaining wood is removed and a temporary floor is laid in place of th original floor boards which be cleaned and repaired as necessary

the fore cabin has it was this morning will be posting a photo tomorrow to show what it is like now

Wansworth

Visit site
You should get this out to a wider audience as your professional approach and skills will be very helpful,unfortunately the making of the videos and editing is time consuming as we know from the series about the restoration of Tally Ho

jstarmarine

Visit site
As I said last night I would post the before and aft photos of the fore cabin

Firstly the before phot

The pile of rotten and damaged panelling

The after photo with the panelling gone and the gull able to air circulating round the inside of the hull for the first in over 20 years

The next area to get the wood work removed to get air to the hull

The aft cabin has had the berth removed to find the old position of the original berth design behind the more modern athwartships berth which is not the one Chance was built with in 1948

The original framework and paint work showing how it was originally made up

Major rebuilding needed in the aft end with a completely mew transom to be made and deck repairs needed for the davits can be placed on their original position