• Forum Contest

Enter here, for a chance to win an Ultimate Boat Bar from Carabarlife!

• UPDATED INFORMATION & ADVICE - PLEASE READ NOW

'I didn't know/I wasn't told' will not be a valid defence if you fail to comply and lose your access to the off-topic area, core topic areas, or the entire YBW forum as a result. Full details can be found here, please read before you proceed.

The major restoration of Chance (Token) James Silver Western Isles Motor sailer

ianc1200

Doing 5 years apart search;

1950 Lloyds Register; Chance owned by Lovat Crosley at Greenock
1955 Lloyds Register; Token owned by Captain (S) S.J. Read mm, CBE, R.D, R.N.R port of Southampton
1960/65/70 Lloyds Registers; Token owned by the Hercules Engineering Company, Southampton.
1975/80 Lloyds Registers; Token owned by Edward W & E. D. Boxall at Hamble

jstarmarine

Doing 5 years apart search;

1950 Lloyds Register; Chance owned by Lovat Crosley at Greenock
1955 Lloyds Register; Token owned by Captain (S) S.J. Read mm, CBE, R.D, R.N.R port of Southampton
1960/65/70 Lloyds Registers; Token owned by the Hercules Engineering Company, Southampton.
1975/80 Lloyds Registers; Token owned by Edward W & E. D. Boxall at Hamble
Hi ianc1200,

Thank you for your research , it will help me track down her history.

Kind Regards

Simon

jstarmarine

This photo is of the engineering space aboard Chance full of old out of date equipment and wiring which is all going to be removed and new up to date electrical wiring and equipment will be fitted to bring up to date and safe.

Just a sea of old old out of date equipment and wiring and bilge pump

Much of this equipment as not been updated in decades if in some case never

jstarmarine

The original heads in the aft cabin with its sink and original toilet

Having taken off the ensign and flag box off the main bulkhead we can see the colour of the original wood finish.

Simple and down to earth engine controls, I will looking to find if the instruments can restored or new original looking gauges can be found

The ships wheel is from the period of her launch and cam from Simpson & Lawrence of Glasgow

A view out of the wheelhouse from the steering position along the long foredeck which at the moment does not have its main mast or guardrails fitted which will be restored and hen refitted at a later stage of the restoration

jstarmarine

The view forward from the starboard side showing off the butterfly skylights and forecabin hatch which in time will be removed and restored and re-varnished to look like they were when she was originally launched in 1948

The original compass which is going to go to be restored by a compass restorer

The masts for the boat which apart from a bit of age damage are in reasonable condition which with a good sanding and lot of varnish will look good once more and will be able bed on new sails and be able set sail on the high seas again

A couple of family members heling get the restoration project underway and I am sure there are going to be friends to help along the way

jstarmarine

The original main saloon bunk back and it doubles as a bunk bed when in harbour

With the back rest in the bunk bed position can see the hull more easily

he galley sink which is going to be revamped and made to look more original

This cooker I will think long about restoring it as I am not sure that it is in the correct position

The original ships number from Lloyds Ship register which I will now have to do more research on

The forward bilge area which is full oily water and dirt of other types which will be the first area to be cleared out so that bilges can be cleaned and repainted

jstarmarine

The main saloon/ cabin starboard side an area which will need restoring back to it former glory and condition

Some old speed and depth equipment

one of the boats former owners long since flown the nest

The galley area port side with an area for a gimballed cooker

another view of the forward bilge with a pond pump laying in the bilge which was got to work and was able to remove much of the water

The forecabin which not original and there should be to bunk and a toilet in this area

There is a spilt plank below the rubbing strake between two butt joints which will need to be investigated as a matter of priority

tillergirl

Well, photographs can deceive but she looks basically in reasonable condition. I appreciate that there is much to do but it looks she can be saved. And saved well. The deck looks very good in the circumstances or does it deceive? As to planking, if there is only the one obvious place for renovation that would be excellent. I am sure though you will find some other problems of course. Frames shown all look good but delving in the bilge of course is everything. The sheer still looks good, any concerns about that? It looks she has been well supported?

I am intrigued by the engine controls, especially that long handle. But all that stuff is really immaterial at this stage. Much of the original furniture looks there which will be great.

Will you be able to bring her under cover? She is not the smallest.

Well done.

AntarcticPilot

I guessed. But I was surprised by the length of the handles!
Early memories of boating! Before we had our own dinghy, we had a holiday on the Broads - a motor boat called Jocelyn. But I'm reminded of my brother falling off the helmsman's seat and winding himself on the gear lever. He was about 3 at the time, I think! I learnt to row during that holiday - I would have been about 5. I still remember being ever so proud when mum and dad let me row the dinghy (a heavy wooden one) on my own.

Rum_Pirate

Hi Gary,
I intent to put it back as it was originally done, double diagonal, Also may even varnish it. I know one thing, if I can get rid of the paint on the aft cabin sides and the wheelhouse they are going to be re-varnished as they would of been when she was originally build. First job is to get Chance (Token) leveled up and hull supported correctly and then mark off the work needed and make a restoration plan and costing for each stage.
Do as detailed plan as you can and cost the stages as accurately as you can, then double it and you will be in the ball park.