The importance of having an anchor light

GHA

Visit site
Odd place to anchor if the lat n long are right>

inwW3By.png

Stemar

Visit site
"approximately 250m East of Quay Lane Boat Yard" is in the middle of the moorings. There'll be a few more unlit boats to watch out for. Notice to mariners? surely it'd be more appropriate to send floaty plod - MOD or otherwise over for a chat.

Now, am I stupid or is QHM stupid? 49.01N 001 08.23W on my maps is a field a few miles south of St Lo in Normandy!

GHA

Visit site
But also a blue hull with white superstructure which would suggest to me that it the same boat, however the previous NTM doesn't seem to have been withdrawn.
different size, different location, different navwarn. There just might be more than 1 small boat with a blue hull in the solent... Or maybe the navy just got it wrong again, they haven't done very well so far..... :rolleyes:

dom

Visit site
different size, different location, different navwarn. There just might be more than 1 small boat with a blue hull in the solent... Or maybe the navy just got it wrong again, they haven't done very well so far..... :rolleyes:

I'm not saying they have, but if they've cocked it up a third time .........

Mark-1

Visit site
"approximately 250m East of Quay Lane Boat Yard" is in the middle of the moorings. There'll be a few more unlit boats to watch out for. Notice to mariners? surely it'd be more appropriate to send floaty plod - MOD or otherwise over for a chat.

Agree, makes no sense. There's a Mod patrol boat on 24 hour guard within sight and it's amongst moorings anyway. Also well lit by the lights of Gosport. Why are there suddenly NTMs for anchored leisure boats off the beaten track. These are places within sight of the Volunteer Coastguard station, I wonder if they have an enthusiastic new volunteer?

Giblets

Visit site
These are places within sight of the Volunteer Coastguard station, I wonder if they have an enthusiastic new volunteer?
If you are referring to NCI Gosport's lookout at the harbour entrance we cannot see the moorings off Quay Lane Boat Yard as there is a gert big tanker and Petrol Pier in the way!

And half a mile east of Wooton Beacon is obstructed by a big lump of land called Gilkicker Point or even Fort Monkton!

Last edited:

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
If you are referring to NCI Gosport's lookout at the harbour entrance we cannot see the moorings off Quay Lane Boat Yard as there is a gert big tanker and Petrol Pier in the way!

And half a mile east of Wooton Beacon is obstructed by a big lump of land called Gilkicker Point or even Fort Monkton!
Or your colleagues at Lee on Solent? But they would need a spectacular pair of binoculars to read the name on a yacht off Wootton.

Mark-1

Visit site
we cannot see the moorings off Quay Lane Boat Yard as there is a gert big tanker and Petrol Pier in the way! And half a mile east of Wooton Beacon is obstructed by a big lump of land called Gilkicker Point or even Fort Monkton!

I had to check, but I have to concede both points. (I have clear memories of being able to see Wooton Creek from just outside Portsmouth Harbour entrance. Clear, but false.)

NCI Gosport are vindicated. ?