The importance of having an anchor light

cpedw

Visit site
All very proper but why is there no date on the notice? I see 2020 in the URL - just after quarter past eight?

Derek

GHA

Visit site
Where exactly is 50.44 354 N 01.11.501 W ?
Wierd format innit. From the navy as well!
Guessing Wooton creek?

JMipXo6.png

And a DIY anchor light inside of the water ski area top left near the red ... Seems just so stupid to anchor with no lights.

BZQVI0W.jpg

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
If it's there, someone's taking the piss. It's hardly a danger to navigation. Copying it into Google maps puts it SSE of the IoW, but I doubt it would be anchored. Bit deep I should think.

Hard to live that one down. Change of name in the offing?

Neeves

Visit site
I don't exhibit a specific "anchor light" at night ..... but simply leave the LED salon lights on. Are they important enough? :)

Richard

I know this might be a very silly, if not impertinent, question

If you have LED saloon lights why not have an LED anchor light - and simply flow with convention.

Jonathan

CLB

Visit site
I very nearly collided with an unlit yacht at anchor last year. It was one of those very dark nights and It didn't become visible until I was almost on it. If I had been distracted for just a few seconds, I think I would have hit it. It was not in a 'normal' anchorage.

STATUE

Visit site
A good hurrican lamp hanging off the forestay with a well trimmed wick would last all night.

I expect the perpetrator is one of those cool dudes who won't ware a facemask !

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I know this might be a very silly, if not impertinent, question

If you have LED saloon lights why not have an LED anchor light - and simply flow with convention.

Jonathan
The first time the mast comes down that will be top of the list. In theory, I could go up the mast as I have done several times but I've not been up there with tools and fiddly jobs so I'm not too keen 'cos it's rather high. :(

Richard

prv

Visit site
The first time the mast comes down that will be top of the list. In theory, I could go up the mast as I have done several times but I've not been up there with tools and fiddly jobs so I'm not too keen 'cos it's rather high. :(

You don't need to take the mast down to hang something from a halyard (traditionally above the foredeck although that's not required). Doing that will be much more effective than adding another star in the sky anyway.

Pete