The Grill Cowes

richardbrennan

Visit site
Our first trip of the year to Cowes on Saturday. There's a newish restaurant right opposite the entrance to the Island Sailing Club called "The Grill". It looked nice and had a very interesting menu, but was unfortunately fully booked, which I took to be a good sign; has anybody tried it?

ashtead

Visit site
Coast is good -was there on Thursday before Easter and as usual very busy but possible to book table for 4. They don't mind well behaved dogs btw . Reasonable range of fare should suit all tastes from burgers to more fish etc. This visit enjoyed the Bembridge crab starter . I gather the owners have a number of other establishments on island as well. If you like a casual noisy environment should be fine but might might be too loud for more elderly crew. There isn't anything as good currently in Cowes unless you prefer more peaceful older style of Murrays or Red Duster . Coast is open all day so also good for breakers on Sunday if you cannot get in on Sat and want to check out without spending out for full dinner. Wine is reasonable and not overpriced. It might be considered overpriced by locals though so most seem to be visitors.

Angele

Visit site
Yep. I second Ashtead's appraisal of Coast.

I haven't been there this year, but once in 2015 and once in 2016. Both meals were good and not overpriced.

The first time we went they had live music downstairs from about 9pm. (I think that was Easter 2015). I was warned about this when I booked the table, and it was fine for us. But, if you had been after a quiet, romantic meal for two then that wouldn't have ticked the right boxes.

Sealux

Visit site
The Grill's fine, the local staff really look after you so the service is great. The food is fine, nothing exceptional, but good value. Everything is very well presented and the decor is pretty good. You want to be sitting on the blue sofa rather than the chairs for comfort, unless you prefer gazing out the window. It's well worth a visit.

Talestree

Visit site
The service is brilliant, really friendly and genuine staff. I particularly like how the staff are allowed to dress as individuals. The food is to die for, we really haven't tasted anything as good before. The menu was adapted to suit our needs and the food came out on time with the waiting staff being present and attentive throughout our time there. The prices reflect what you receive. Delicious food in decent size portions.

richardbrennan

Visit site
Had a disappointing meal at Coast last Thursday, and other recent postings on Tripadvisor would seem to suggest it may be going through a bit of a dip.