The future of fast electric motorboating....

kashurst

Visit site

Remarkable, innovative, sophisticated engineering and out of Europe. Well done all concerned.
just need one a bit bigger with a cabin and a loo.

BruceK

Visit site
28 hp to plane! You dont even need to go electric to wave that green credential about. Just fit a smaller diesel ?

kashurst

Visit site
50Hp outboard would work too.
Shows what is definitely possible though. Next generation of batteries could see a range of 100miles

Mind you, if they start fitting all electric drives to boats what will we do in the winter when we are supposed to be fixing stuff? What will happen to all the swearing and scrapped knuckles?

BruceK

Visit site
Mind you, if they start fitting all electric drives to boats what will we do in the winter when we are supposed to be fixing stuff? What will happen to all the swearing and scrapped knuckles?

FrailSimilarBug-small.gif

kashurst

Visit site
When Princess did the R35 sports boats with active foiling I was expecting it to lift out of the water and go really fast and be a lot more fuel efficient. All Princess seemed to acheive was not much more than an active trim tab system. Have to admit for £600K being very disapointed.
The Candela is a real move forward.

Candela are definitely not the first to use foils, but they do seem to be (one of) the first to combine carbon fibre, computerised real time active fin control, modern electric car batteries and motors. People laughed at Tesla - they don't laugh now. Another generation in batteries and 10 - 12m cruisers will be possible. Also most marina moorings already have at least a 16 Amp socket to plug into - fully charged again in 12 hours. A 32Amp socket would recharge that boat in @ 4 hours. A 50Kw charger would recharge it in 50 minutes.

BruceK

Visit site
The next question though is can they produce them to be price competitive to it's predecessor. I didn't hear price mentioned but I did hear the words sold to wealthy silicon valley tech billionaires, some of whom think it's a grand idea to go for a quick jaunt to Mars for a Starbucks.

kashurst

Visit site
should be possible. BMW i3 battery is @ £9K.
Torqueedo do a range of suitable electric motors and chargers that are thousands but not tens of thousands
Electronics and hydraulics to control the fins - no idea but a modern mobile phone has enough tech to do most of it. Hydraulics bits are not expensive
Carbon fibre tub ?????????? no idea

so I think this could be the first of quite a few imitators. Could someone do this for £50K - £60K in a few years? certainly.

BruceK

Visit site
Oh bother, time to start saving pennies again then because if they can pretty soon afterwards all those lovely boats in the ghettoes will be as welcome as smokers in a restaurant

BruceK

Visit site
You can, I'm sorry. The following marketing boats for a 40hp equivalent : "Low-maintenance system: switching makes sense from as little as EUR 4,500 in annual fuel costs" from i1400 rpm the only one remotely capable of pushing me doesn't quite grab me as much as the marketers may have hoped. I agree this is the future, I dont think we are as near as say wagons and 100% cars

kashurst

Visit site
I don't think we will ever get to a battery electric twin outdrive planing power cruiser
I can imagine a 10 - 12m battery electric hydrofoiling power cruiser.
Small electric ski boats and river cruisers you can already buy. It won't take much more and the lakes and river authorities around the world will be able to start banning IC engined small boats.
Big cruisers yachts will be diesel for a long time yet.

BruceK

Visit site
I dont think we will ever see a 10-12m hydrofoiling cruiser. 10-12m dayboat yes, but never a cruiser because you'll always need to be tied to a dock.

Dino

Visit site
Having previously spent 6 years setting up a public EV charging network I don’t think I would like to be installing chargers or especially DC Rapid/Fast chargers on a pontoon berth in salt water. The Rapid or Fast chargers cost around €25-30k installed on the street.

Assassin

Visit site
No green credentials at all, the battery is the largest polluter as this produces more emissions than an American car with a petrol V8 running for 5 years, so this alone means it is anything but green, just marketing spiel, then we have the carbon fibre, it is still an epoxy resin impregnated mat and how much emissions does it take to produce that? and as all these batteries are prone to self combustion it could simply go up in flames while just sitting there. People can marvel about technologies, but until they resolve the underlying problems it will never be green.

vas

Visit site
would be also interesting to see some graphs:

A. power needed to move from idle to "flying" to cruising. There's going to be a hump somewhere there dropping to the 28hp flying cruising.
B. length, power to weight ratio to get an idea of where are the limits in size, cabins, etc

we still have a Russian lake passenger foiled thing (called flying dolphins here) which makes an awful lot of noise, but practically no wake doing the 120nm round trip to the 3 nearby isles daily UNLESS there's an F6+. It stays put in that case, I've seen it struggling to lift and cruise at it's 28kn speed a few times on an F5, or trying to find shelter in protected waters to manage a lift. Not all is rosy.
Very pompous naration, pretty sure sensors and moving bits of foil 5-10deg fore-aft is no big deal, guess the main issue is keeping the weight down...

Wasn't there a bayliner cabin cruiser fitted with custom fins 20-30yrs ago?

V.