The end of Rose Hearty

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It's the 'characters' on the River that help to make it enjoyable to use (some of the new lockies are really dour and need knocking into shape = engaging with the customers...)
While commenting on who's stil in place / retiring - Is Tony at Culham still in post or will be next year? I tried to ring the lock several times recently but didn't get an answer. I don't know whjo to ask...

I think Days is closed so probably not going up there for quite a while.

Steve at Days lock is another old school keeper I like a lot. Always nice to see him.

Or maybe Steve is a generic lock keeper name as I think Penton hook keeper is also Steve and Shepperton keeper.

Not sure where I got the names from.

I went to school in Shepperton (Halliford school 1986-1992) and out of a class of about 28 boys 7 of them were called Steven or Stephen.

Old Crusty

Visit site
I think Days is closed so probably not going up there for quite a while.

Steve at Days lock is another old school keeper I like a lot. Always nice to see him.

Or maybe Steve is a generic lock keeper name as I think Penton hook keeper is also Steve and Shepperton keeper.

Not sure where I got the names from.

I went to school in Shepperton (Halliford school 1986-1992) and out of a class of about 28 boys 7 of them were called Steven or Stephen.

It's John Wright at PH, Steve Newman (BEM) at Shepperton.

Mark26

Visit site
I noticed the big wooden thing with a shed on top outside one of the houses has gone down but which is the other sunken boat there? Unless you meant the Rosehearty.

There has always been a sunken Fairey huntress or huntsman round the back of Runnymede island but that's barely noticeable these days.
Not been down there by boat for a while but have driven along the road past the Bells of Ouzeley a few times recently.

I presume the big old Humber lighter Bustardthorpe is still floating... Aidie used to be on it quite a lot with the fire going but not sure it is occupied much now. By the mini roundabout.

That would be a huge salvage job if that went down..
Small GRP cruiser outside the World Duty Free Distribution Centre on the south bank

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Oh yes the warehouses above Bell Weir.

At least it's not something too large so if owner can't be located it's not too expensive to deal with it.

Being an EA site presumably that is now subject to a £150 penalty charge.

plumbob

Visit site
Oh yes the warehouses above Bell Weir.

At least it's not something too large so if owner can't be located it's not too expensive to deal with it.

Being an EA site presumably that is now subject to a £150 penalty charge.
That's an interesting one. And what about the various craft chained to the bank all over the place? How do you find out?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
That's an interesting one. And what about the various craft chained to the bank all over the place? How do you find out?

The EA do usually do a "sweep" and attach notices to boats. I had one a couple of years ago on a boat I owned, which was correctly registered, requesting that I put the vessel name on the bows.

I don't know how it works if the sticky notice is not removed by the owner. I imagine there must be a time limit of some sort where if no response from the owner the EA can tow the boat. For unregistered craft I mean.

I really don't know about that though...

D

Deleted member 36384

Interesting thread. Up my way, south of Oban, there are a few former glorious wooden vessels in living memory now rotting away on the hard. In my marina (Craobh) a fellow berth holder has restored an old Millers of Fife motor yacht. Apparently it was developed as a result in the reduction of fishing boat sales and was displayed at the Earls Court boat show a long time ago. However, this is rare, so many of these well known wooden boats on the Clyde / West Coast are now at the end of their lives or owned by old people without the will to carry on maintaining and unable to sell. Regarding the comments about the demise of characters, we too are seeing a generation of skilled persons in some well known yards now too old with almost know one to take over. There are exceptions of course and there is a fine cadre of professionals and young people coaming out of the various boat building schools. Maybe the new characters! Just an observation, shame to see Rosehearty broken up, I assumed named after Rosehearty on the NE Coast of Scotland, I used to dive off there.

Edit: changed NW to NE!

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Crusty

Visit site
I don't know how it works if the sticky notice is not removed by the owner. I imagine there must be a time limit of some sort where if no response from the owner the EA can tow the boat. For unregistered craft I mean.

I really don't know about that though...

Under article 16 of the IWO 2010, the EA may stick a notice on an unidentifiable, unregistered craft giving the owner 28 days to register or risk having the boat confiscated, sold, and the costs deducted from the sale. However, there is no right of appeal and the EA's legal weak-knees have wobbled so this option is parked up at the moment.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Someone definitely keeps a close eye on that one. It's not exactly a thing of beauty but I do like to continue seeing it. Nice to think it might be there in another 25 years. That would be quite cool. Probably not though.
I knew the owner, years ago. He lives in the house beside her - he bought it mainly to get the mooring.