The end of Rose Hearty

Barge

Visit site
It went past me on its way up for what i hoped was a restoration project...sad to see it's decline since and eventual demise.

Time Out

Visit site
I saw that on Twitter earlier. Replied in fact.
I hope the took the Avon RIB away before trashing it !!
Very sad

plumbob

Visit site
Wonder if Triad which has been languishing just above Pangbourne College for 30 years will get the same treatment ?

ianc1200

Visit site
Interesting photo of her on the Orwell. She was the support vessel for the Dunkirk Little Ships and oe friend of mine, the late Keith Beautement (who owned the Bate Starcraft Arcadia, & always was to be found in the chandlery at Penton Hook with his friend Fred Bourne) crewed on her a lot - I think it's Keith on top of the wheelhouse in the photo.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
There’s currently two sunken vessels on the Runnymead reach.

I noticed the big wooden thing with a shed on top outside one of the houses has gone down but which is the other sunken boat there? Unless you meant the Rosehearty.

There has always been a sunken Fairey huntress or huntsman round the back of Runnymede island but that's barely noticeable these days.
Not been down there by boat for a while but have driven along the road past the Bells of Ouzeley a few times recently.

I presume the big old Humber lighter Bustardthorpe is still floating... Aidie used to be on it quite a lot with the fire going but not sure it is occupied much now. By the mini roundabout.

That would be a huge salvage job if that went down..

Old Crusty

Visit site
Big Dave at Bell Weir helped Ian , a previous owner, restore Rose Hearty then crewed for several ADLS trips over the Channel back in the 1980s. A sad end but neglect takes many a fine wooden boat. I was last on her in 2012 and she was showing signs of serious rot.

Old Crusty

Visit site
Has Dave gone yet? I heard he was retiring.

Will be odd with him missing as he has been a fixture since I started boating.

One of the characters.

No, he finishes in March 2021 - knowing him as I do, he'll just slip out the back door and drive away (probably with the back door in his van!)

TrueBlue

Visit site
It's the 'characters' on the River that help to make it enjoyable to use (some of the new lockies are really dour and need knocking into shape = engaging with the customers...)
While commenting on who's stil in place / retiring - Is Tony at Culham still in post or will be next year? I tried to ring the lock several times recently but didn't get an answer. I don't know whjo to ask...