The EA / DE needs to get a grip on the moorings ?

Northern Star

Visit site
So I have a few days off so took a trip out from Penton Hook marina and it is like the wild west on the the Thames up here.

Laleham has the un-named green narrow boat back again at the front with a large blue huge floating home hogging most of the rest of the mooring which no doubt is from the boatyard opposite.

Nice to see Winfred there though and no doubt the owner will be as dismayed as myself as he is a true gent and always helpful at locks and other moorings.

Thames Court has some un-named freeloader at one end with a small shabby alloy rowing boat plonked right in the middle just by the prime mooring spot too.

Weybridge is full of the same narrow boats inc Amadeus that were there two months ago but at least the un-named narrow boat has vacated the one mooring available to the left of the ferry and a nice Piper was there but could only moor tethered to it's bow end

Manor Park was full of narrow boats as usual with some of them rafting which I understand is not allowed on the Thames for safety.

Ended up at Walton Towpath and managed to get right at the back as the moorings outside with pubs seem to have become a boatyard and dumping ground with one individual working on his boat with a circular saw and hammer for most of the night.

A 150ft + boat/ship called CATHJA rocked up and moored on the closed trip boat pontoon to pick up several people with a suitcase and also had lots of multi national individuals sat on the bow looking like a refugee ship that has just come across the channel. It went upstream and I am amazed it will fit in some of the locks so god knows where it is going? The Walton trip boat had to navigate around it as it seemed to think that the whole river is for itself?

Heard a lot of banging music late tonight and a broads cruiser with no name and no lights navagating on the wrong side of the river pulled in front with one individual hitching up to another boat that is also left here long term. Lots of engine noise and it ended up trashing the EA signage and dumping diesel into the river then pulled away and headed towards Sunbury with no lights on inside or outside and once again on the wrong side of the navigation channel in pitch darkness. He tried to hammer the EA sign back in but it is trashed and left dumped on the tow path.

Such a shame the river is becoming a free for all and I dread our trip to Hampton Court next week.

Last edited:

Bran

Visit site
Depressing, I noticed the Weybridge moorings were full last Sunday with long term lurkers. Also the boats dumped outside the Anglers pub, what can the owners do? Hampton court palace moorings were fine a couple of weeks ago, maybe they are more proactive in keeping the lurkers away.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It's been bad down that end for a few years now. Not particularly easy for the EA to deal with it. What can they realistically do?

Hampton Court is Royal Parks owned land. If it's got Royal in the title they can sort things out so it is kept pretty tidy. They also have barge walk at Kingston and I noticed last year when I was down there mooring prohibited on the parks land between these two sites. One used to be able to stop by Ravens Ait or opposite Thames Ditton but that's now patrolled by the parks staff as a no mooring area.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Yes it's one of Carl's boats. Well he runs the charity anyway.
He also has that wonderful Dutch barge moored below Old Windsor lock. The really handsome one with dinghy on the top. What a nice boat that is. There is a huge Aga in there it's really rather pleasant.

I took a photo of that boat (the one at Old Windsor) in probably about 1991 and it still looks exactly the same. Amazing and a truly beautiful barge.

Nice item.

Northern Star

Visit site
Just had a cycle down to Hampton Court this morning and the slum boat is still at the mooring near the rowing club in Walton with what looked like the broads cruser moored to its side. At least someone has come along and returned the EA / DE sign and there is just a boat called Blue day tied up to it now.

Huge amusement at Sunbury as one individual tried to operate the lock and had no idea what to do, I felt for the elderly couple on the gleaming Piper barge as she had to shoout at the two of them on the large cruiser to come and open the gates for them. Beggars beleif that you would have crew on a boat that don't know how to press a few buttons etc but hey ho they are the ones that sit there just expecting others to tend to their needs ala the Broom Brigade from Windsor.

EA launch at the park opposite The Bell at Hampton and two officers with two other navy looking people attending a narrow boat that was moored there with notices on it. The Trottman two slumboats are there but hiden behind the trees now so manily viewable from the river side now.

Hampton Court was full and seems to have another floating large blue houseboat box moored there and certainly a lot more boats on the trip boat moorings and at the lock.

Will see how it is going back to Penton Hook the nest few days but up river a few weeks ago seemed a lot quieter than it is down this end.

Northern Star

Visit site
Well there you go the EA launch PL Tamesis I saw at Hampton has just been along all the boats at Walton and had a word with the ones without names or licence on display.

Good to see and they didn't bother me as no doubt have seen that I have paid for my 48 hours here.

oldgit

Visit site
Must admit at Hampton Court the widebeams and NB outnumbered the cruisers. Two of the cruisers were only still there because one had broken down.
Had they moved on could have fitted another narrow boat in the space.

Last edited:

Scapegoat

Visit site
Update - headed downstream last Wednesday - Weybridge full (photo posted above). However, Walton towpath was almost empty - bit too shallow for us to get in though.
Moored at Hampton Court Palace for 3 nights (£16) and noticed a regular turnover of boats moored there. Then down to Kingston - spaces available at Charterhouse Quay, but too shallow. Several spaces on the HCP Barge Walk - pleasant mooring although the bank access isn’t great.
On the upstream trip there were several spaces at Weybridge - Amadeus had gone but Sexy Beast was still there (no surprise!).
Houseboat was still on the Laleham moorings and quite a few at Egham towpath.
DE manage the HCP moorings and seem to be effective there.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Do DE manage collection of mooring fees at Hampton Court?

I thought they had their own parks man to do it and DE signage was a backup in case of problems needing enforcement of some kind .

May be wrong but the topic seems to be around how you pay (cash or online) and whether someone is actually checking it on a regular basis.

Scapegoat

Visit site
Do DE manage collection of mooring fees at Hampton Court?

I thought they had their own parks man to do it and DE signage was a backup in case of problems needing enforcement of some kind .

May be wrong but the topic seems to be around how you pay (cash or online) and whether someone is actually checking it on a regular basis.
Yes - DE collect the fees. They also stipulate registration required on arrival, even though first 24 hours is free
F6B25E00-C961-4D89-A469-098F0D81BC67.jpeg
35ABE01E-8769-4A35-A64F-5D0C6FC15FFF.jpeg

Last edited:

Northern Star

Visit site
Had a DE dick ask me if I had paid for mooring at Hampton Court today as I wasn't on his list which consisted of a hand written scrap of paper..

As they do not issue receipts even if you request them on their site I always take a picture screen shot of the confirmation of my arrival and payment of £8 for the second day so showed it to him.

He grunted and walked off without even a thank you but if I get a fine I will be issuing them with an invoice for my time that it will take to deal with it.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
The arrangements between Historic Royal Palaces and DE are specific to HRP as the landowner and different to the arrangements relating to Environment Agency moorings which are subject to the Thames Conservancy Act. If HRP require you to regsister arrival at their moorings they are entitled to do so. This is also the case at Reading regarding land owned by the local authority including the Tesco moorings.
However, following complaints from boating organisations regarding EA moorings it was established that the TC Act does not require registration for the first 24 hours.
Our further complaints regarding other issues relating to the tendering process and contract appear to have now resulted in the decision to terminate the contract.
We will have to wait and see what happens next.

Northern Star

Visit site
Amadeus now at Laleham but he looks after his boat and generally does move on when he can due to work.

The hideous box is still at Laleham though and is an eyesore and hogging the centre of the mooring, I would have stopped at my favorite spot at the back today but don't really want to look at that pile of crap whilst there and if it is the boatyards they need to shift it to their side off the EA mooring site.

Scapegoat

Visit site
Amadeus now at Laleham but he looks after his boat and generally does move on when he can due to work.

The hideous box is still at Laleham though and is an eyesore and hogging the centre of the mooring, I would have stopped at my favorite spot at the back today but don't really want to look at that pile of crap whilst there and if it is the boatyards they need to shift it to their side off the EA mooring site.
I think the boatyard must know something about it as it was moored on their side earlier this year. I took a photo yesterday as we went past so will send an email to
enquiries_THM@environment-agency.gov.uk
with the info and registering a complaint. Might help to get it moved
39A87B32-2C38-4F09-8C6E-57C00A0123EF.jpeg