The EA are emailing registered boats, saying they're unregistered, and wanting email proof!

AP3

Visit site
I'm bloody fuming! I paid for my license for 2020, not that I got much use out of it, and somehow they don't know this?!

This is the text from the email:

Dear Sir/Madam

We have been checking our registration database and it appears your vessel is not registered for 2020.

If your vessel is registered please let us know, by providing your registration confirmation email, and we will update our records.

If your vessel is not registered, please read the attached letter giving details on how to register and our position regarding the current situation and the importance of registration.

Yours sincerely

Maria Herlihy/Mark Hill

Waterway Managers - Thames

Of course I don't have a magical email, because there isn't one! I sent of the form, and got my license back in the post.

Anyone else got this? I can guarantee the inflatable mob won't get anything like this...!

The Glassman

Visit site
Got the same message yesterday, despite my boats being fully registered and paid-up. Thought at first it was a scam, but seems to be just pure incompetence.
Went back rather curtly, telling them so and requesting their confirmation. No reply yet - natch!
Chocolate teapots come to mind.....

Barge

Visit site
I got the same. I have a Gold licence through CaRT. I can forgive their not checking the database of CaRT, but it did irritate me to receive this after shelling out.

If you email them back using the link on the pdf attachment it doesn't work (or at least it didn't for me) I got a not known address postmaster reply. Reply using the email address in the email proper for any response... Something to do with the wrong character (but looks very similar) being used in the email address i believe.

DogsBody

Visit site
Genuine or not, I'd tell them to sod off!

Its down to the EA to prove your boat is afloat on their water without a license, not for you to prove you've bought one, for a boat which may well be ashore anyway this time of year.

AP3

Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one; what a clusterf@ck. Of course the irony is that my boat is on it's trailer on my driveway, where it's been for most of the year!

Old Crusty

Visit site
Whe
I'm bloody fuming! I paid for my license for 2020, not that I got much use out of it, and somehow they don't know this?!

Dear Sir/Madam

We have been checking our registration database and it appears your vessel is not registered for 2020.

If your vessel is registered please let us know, by providing your registration confirmation email, and we will update our records.

If your vessel is not registered, please read the attached letter giving details on how to register and our position regarding the current situation and the importance of registration.

Yours sincerely

Maria Herlihy/Mark Hill

Of course I don't have a magical email, because there isn't one! I sent of the form, and got my license back in the post.

Anyone else got this? I can guarantee the inflatable mob won't get anything like this...!

Ha! Where's my email? I've been missed off the EA's list! Looking forward to having another opportunity to remind the EA that its systems are rubbish. Email is only used for visitor registrations; otherwise, you complete the form or just ring up and the reg plate comes back by snail mail.

Just checking the date - no, panto season starts next month :p

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Delete email

My Thames registered boats are two full Thames registrations and a "Gold License".

I don't think I received the email (could be in there I don't check much) but if I had I would have deleted it as it is not appropriate.

I wonder if people who no longer have boats on the River got the email as well.

Sounds like a situation where sending emails to every address is easier than finding out who actually doesn't have a current registration .

It's registration not licence. PRN waterway which means it is not permission based.

Last edited:

ianc1200

Visit site
But also they didn't send out licence plates from July - just an e mail confirming it had been registered. I printed that out & waited to be asked for it, but never was.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It's probably part of the overall move to automation. At some stage boats will be sent a sticker with a QR code on it which is placed in a forward facing area and automatically read by a camera by the lock approach.
Being a PRN waterway the keepers can't technically prevent you from going through the lock. The enforcement, legally, must take place after the event.

Ideal situation to introduce modern technology isn't it.

Cameras or lock keepers ?

Hmm I'd have to think about this for a while lock keepers.

shades

Visit site
It's probably part of the overall move to automation. At some stage boats will be sent a sticker with a QR code on it which is placed in a forward facing area and automatically read by a camera by the lock approach.
Being a PRN waterway the keepers can't technically prevent you from going through the lock. The enforcement, legally, must take place after the event.

Ideal situation to introduce modern technology isn't it.

Cameras or lock keepers ?

Hmm I'd have to think about this for a while lock keepers.
Interesting...
I would like to see a camera; use a ladder to rescue someone, put a fire out, administer first aid, operate a weir, etc...

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I have not discussed this with an EA lock keeper yet but I don't think the first bits are part of the job description. The last one re weirs definitely is however operation of weirs is generally fairly predictable in the sense that you get a some rain and you need to pull, it stops raining for a while and you shut in.

This could be automated quite easily but to be fair automation of this function will never work. A bit like self driving cars it's a nice idea but humans (or in the case of the Thames nature) will get in the way of it.

If you take out the personal touch of having a keeper on the locks, which I really like, and assume that people can press buttons then I reckon you could reasonably take out 4/5 of the keepers and still keep the weirs working.

Not something I would want to see but I can see it happening.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Be careful what you wish for. If waterways management, staff and river users could just work together the river could be transformed, even with the current funding and resources problems.
As for new technology etc forget it, they can’t even get a simple database of registered boats right !

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

Dear Sir/Madam

Yours sincerely

Maria Herlihy/Mark Hill

Can anyone let me have a copy of the email you received claiming you had not registered for 2020 please?
I am pursuing this matter with the EA but need to see exactly what you received including the attached letter they refer to.
I will not identify you personally .
Ideally, please forward the email, exactly as received , to me at
gensec(at)tmba.org.uk

Information no longer required. Thanks to those that responeded.

Last edited: