The disease and sailing.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If things return to normal.

They will only do that if people who recover have good immunity to reinfection and if an effective vaccine is produced fairly soon. Otherwise a return to anything like civilization as we know it is very unlikely. Possibly we will follow the dinosaurs into extinction
And the "Little Ray of Sunshine" prize for 2020 goes to ...

Remember that the overwhelming majority of people who get it get no more than a sniffle and the overwhelming majority of people who diedfrom it were terminally ill or very old already. Reinfection doesn't look like a problem for either group, though for different reasons.

PHN

Visit site
Those in the 52-62 age bracket may well end up with a quite attractive redundancy package in the near future.

Assuming I survive then this, it might be just the ticket to move aboard and enjoy a decade of sailing. (y) :D⛵

I would not count on attractive redundancy packages in case of a crisis. From that age bracket in average you need to cover 10 years of salary before your pension. That would be about 25% of an average working life. Those days are far behind us.

With regards to sailing ... post Brexit options become limited for long stay.

SaltyC

Visit site
What else are people going to do, trips to China? cruises to Tobermory on those floating skyscrapers? Spanish hotels? myself I think I will hang on to my boat seems that it might be much the safer way to relax than most of the alternatives.
However the supply is likely to exceed the demand at least for a year or so if Ben Jen Bav etc. find their feet again and replace the employees who left. It will be like back in the sixties and seventies for a while and in those days a good boats price could keep up with inflation, wishful thinking? of course.

Unfortunately the mass production of Henry Ford has entered the marine world, a certain producer of AWB's says they are 'disposable' products. new boat prices have fallen (in real terms) since the Golden Era. In the 70's my Uncle bought a boat, 3 years oldish for £6500 and sold for £13000 after 4 years. Inflation was running at 15% / annum and new prices rocketing - do we want to go back to those days??