"The boy, me, and the cat" by Henry Plummer

Poignard

Visit site
I have just finished reading this and I enjoyed it.

The author, his son, a cat sailed from Massachusetts to Florida and back on the Intracostal waterway in a 24-foot Cape Cod catboat in 1912-1913.

One Amazon reviewer's description:
"This inspirational journal with an unlikely cast traces a metaphysical trip down the east coast of the United States at the turn of the twentieth century in a small Cat boat. The author and main antagonist uses language and terms which are of a bygone era. The author turns out to have a way with words which matches his practical sense and boating abilities. What seems to be the start of a routine sail down the coast turns out to be anything but. Shipwrecked off the Carolina's he and his son rebuild their craft to continue the journey to their final destination, just in time to turn around and return. As he puts it so well "Good thing to get scared up now and then. Sort of gets you used to the feeling and helps you to keep yourself in hand.. Wouldn't give much for a man who says he was never scared, as it simply means he is either a fool or has never been properly tried out. H. Plummer (author) "

Warning: the Narrative Press edition contains none of the illustrations that were included in the original hardback editions.