Thames tug Cannonbrook for sale on eBay

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I remember when this was part of the TWA then NRA then EA tug fleet then it disappeared from the normal mooring at Sunbury.

Lovely little launch tug I wonder if it will find itself back on the River at some point. Perhaps one for Steve Bil if he hasn't got enough already?

39ft Thames Tug work boat. 'Misty' 1951. Gardner 6lx engine. 2 berth cabin. | eBay

ETA originally the Misty it was at some point called Cannonbrook I assume this was a renaming by TWA. I think it was a TC boat with the original name.

Wonderful boat needs to be down the garden of a nice Riverside house but most people with those have no interest in the River of course.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Yes it somehow escaped the repowering with Scania units which happened around about the same time it disappeared from the River.

It's a lovely boat and if I was still young free single and rich tall dark and handsome with a house by the River I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

But I'm not so I won't.

Norman_E

Visit site
At least its got a good engine....
I had friends who had a 4 cylinder Gardner in their 36 foot Dutch built steel yacht. They are just wonderful engines, you even pump up the oil pressure with a hand pump before starting it which avoids the worst source of engine wear, namely an engine firing up before its generated any oil pressure. Gardner wanted the engine for their museum, and offered to buy the previous owner a new and probably more economical engine of his choice. he wisely refused.

TrueBlue

Visit site
There is / was a well known boat mover on t' canals who had a 4LW in his boat and allowed me to drive it once - all that huge power just purring away in harmony - ooooo, yumee!

Bilgediver

Visit site
Think back to You Only Live Twice... This was the early morning sound in the wee bay in south Japan when the pearl fishers went to sea. It was a familiar sound in Japan following the hiss of the blowlamp.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I love the sound of this engine.. cant be much more than 60 rpm..
The old semi diesels are very impressive. I went on board the wooden narrow boat Severn which had a Seffle semi in it. The main thing I remember about it was how the engine made the boat rock from side to side. Very impressive piece of hardware and it's great that people keep these things going.

GGoose17

Visit site
…….
ETA originally the Misty it was at some point called Cannonbrook I assume this was a renaming by TWA. I think it was a TC boat with the original name.

Yep, the black diamond on white background look like the Cory logo, doesn’t it? Getting wistful looking at the photos, but the words bottomless and pit come to mind!

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Yep, the black diamond on white background look like the Cory logo, doesn’t it? Getting wistful looking at the photos, but the words bottomless and pit come to mind!

Yes quite.

It's the sort of boat which should ideally be given to a charity of some sort who can deal with it.

I don't know how the lovely Varlet is going down at Trinity Buoy Wharf and am not a big fan of boats being out of water so that could end up being a bad story. Last time I saw it it was on the bank. Hopefully all sealed up on top !
As for cannonbrook £15k is looking like a private purchase as it's quite a high price and of course there is a danger it could be converted into a houseboat which would be terrible. Better than scrapping but not much better !

It's a shame that considering the amount of money there is on the River nobody would buy it. They would prefer some awful Antaris for five times the money.

Worse things happen at sea.