Thames now fully open?

AuntyRinum

Visit site
This from the EA on Facebook about an hour ago:

"CUSTOMER INFORMATION:
We’re restarting assisted passage on #RiverThames as soon as we can, but some of our locks are extremely busy so assistance might not always be possible. Please bear with us as we continue to protect the safety of all waterway users. #StayAlert https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-environment-agency-update

Restrictions have been lifted on the #RiverThames, but we urge our #boating community and other river users to continue with the 2 metre social distancing rule #StayAlert: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-environment-agency-update

·#RiverThames #Boaters and other river users, please continue to #StayAlert and practice social distancing with people from outside your household or support bubble, keeping 2 metres apart whilst out and about around the river...................."

Time Out

Visit site
This from the EA on Facebook about an hour ago:

"CUSTOMER INFORMATION:
We’re restarting assisted passage on #RiverThames as soon as we can, but some of our locks are extremely busy so assistance might not always be possible. Please bear with us as we continue to protect the safety of all waterway users. #StayAlert https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-environment-agency-update

Restrictions have been lifted on the #RiverThames, but we urge our #boating community and other river users to continue with the 2 metre social distancing rule #StayAlert: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-environment-agency-update

·#RiverThames #Boaters and other river users, please continue to #StayAlert and practice social distancing with people from outside your household or support bubble, keeping 2 metres apart whilst out and about around the river...................."

Teddington still appointment only on tide Mon and Fri.

normskib

Visit site
What possible reason are the EA Still using to keep Teddington Lock closed except except with a permit and at high tide ?

Golden Boy

Visit site
Anyone on the River tried any electric charging stations ? I’m trying to plan a trip after the 4th July in an electric launch but need to know charging points are working and switched on. I’ve tried phoning 5 locks today that have a charge point but no reply from any. Central office didn’t know either.
I’d appreciate any advice. Looking from Chertsey up.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It's an interesting point. Not sure how you can find out without anyone from the locks or office knowing about it.

Keepers are gradually returning however the service is still pretty patchy.

I suspect that the fact you have to buy a mag stripe card for the electric bollards might mean they are switched off because the lock keepers are not allowed to do close interaction due to physical distancing laws...

Golden Boy

Visit site
It's an interesting point. Not sure how you can find out without anyone from the locks or office knowing about it.

Keepers are gradually returning however the service is still pretty patchy.

I suspect that the fact you have to buy a mag stripe card for the electric bollards might mean they are switched off because the lock keepers are not allowed to do close interaction due to physical distancing laws...
Are they all magstripe cards? I didn’t use any like that last year but then I only saw one workiing. Plan is to go all the way to St John’s. Last year I managed to get all the way to Henley, charge at Trad Boat Rally and come straight back. This year want to plan a slower pace and go further but not sure the E.A. infrastructure will be up to it. There years ago I got up to Abingdon but only managed to use Cookham which was paid for at the lock by cash. Anyone used any of them lately ? past year) will mag stripe work on a credit card?

Old Crusty

Visit site
The charging points work on a mag stripe card, not a credit card, only available from a lock office. Phoning the lock offices is pointless as the duty keeper will be either far away from the phone or doing something noisy so won't hear.

You may get lucky at some of the marinas.

Golden Boy

Visit site
Well that sounds even more impossible than it used to be. Looks like I’ll have to find another way to get charging, anyone know which Marinas might sell them or even how the system works, I can find nothing on the internet?

Thanks for coming back to me.

Golden Boy

Visit site
Ok setting off tomorrow. Finally spoke to a lock keeper and as I thought the charge points are paid for by cash to lock keeper. Unfortunately the lock keepers aren’t supposed to sell us anything at present so I have no idea if the charge point will be live. Benson is definitely out of action but I think it’s been that way for four years or more. I still can’t get hold of any of the other locks so I have tentatively made contacts at other sources up the river and hopefully will be able to get there.
Stick to your stinkboats boys, without the infrastructure electric is frustrating.

AuntyRinum

Visit site
I passed through Teddington Lock, going up river, two days ago. All very easy and no hassle. Lock keeper chatting from a safe distance. All as normal.

Time Out

Visit site
I'm going through Sunday as the (new) engine needs warranty work, remind me why I ever bothered to buy another boat...

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I passed through Teddington Lock, going up river, two days ago. All very easy and no hassle. Lock keeper chatting from a safe distance. All as normal.
That's interesting.

Two days ago was a Monday.

Are they still doing Monday and Friday only or has it really gone back to normal?

I'm planning a trip to the Mudway out from Teddington around the 25th July. Flexible on dates but obviously interesting to know if Teddington is working normally :)

Time Out

Visit site
That's interesting.

Two days ago was a Monday.

Are they still doing Monday and Friday only or has it really gone back to normal?

I'm planning a trip to the Mudway out from Teddington around the 25th July. Flexible on dates but obviously interesting to know if Teddington is working normally :)

0700 - 2100 daily now.

That comes from lock keeper herself.