Thames drowning update

NastyMariaBird

Visit site
I hope that those words never come back to haunt you. IMO there is a world of difference between property crime and violent crime. Although I will endevour to bring up my children properly, there is always the chance that one of them will go off the rails...

tazzle

Visit site
Over many centuries of practice and experience, the coroner's courts came up with a reasonably neutral classification for deaths of this type.

Thieves fall through warehouse roofs, petrol siphoners catch fire, hoodies accidentally discharge their stolen shotguns at themselves, boat crims drown ... were all 'Death by Misadventure'.

As opposed to 'Accidental Death'. Nowadays the distinction between the two verdicts has become blurred - wrongly, in my view.

I believe the coroner's verdict is important as it determines whether the owner of the warehouse / petrol / shotgun / boat can be sued under the Occupiers Liability Act or whatever for failing to take sufficient precautions to prevent death or serious injury to trespassers.

In other words, without pre-empting the verdict, if this person hadn't been found with a pocket of stolen credit cards, the boat owner could well be facing legal action. With the blurring of coroner's verdicts, they still could be.

Oh yes. There'll be an injury 'no win no fee' lawyer somewhere who'll act for this scrote's family and sue the boat owner for failing to take sufficient care that thieves shouldn't harm themselves.

Time to bring back the old distinction between the verdicts.

RupertW

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If life is so precious, why the resistance to the death sentence for murder?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I'd also campaign for shooting abortionists and punishing anorexics with starvation.

MrCramp

Visit site
Had phone call from an eldery relative (mid 80's) who visits daily an lady in late 90's who spends most of her day in a wheelchair, lives at home on her own and does not want to go into a nursing home. The 90 year old had a lowlife break in through her front door one afternoon last week and they stole £200 from her handbag. The same lowlife came back on Saturday night, broke glass at rear of house and then ransacked the house and even went into the bedroom and ransacked that and stole many items of sentimental value (like 140 year old mother's weding rings). The old lady just lay in bed pretending to be asleep. What right has the thief to frighten an independantly minded 90-odd year old? He has partially destroyed the rest of that lady's peacefull existance/right to life. Such people are best left to drown, and the sooner the better!

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
good point

a thief is a potential murderer when confronted pulls a knife or similar and bingo

[/ QUOTE ]

OK so he swiped a few credit cards which in turn caused bundles of problems for their owners. What else has he done, you honestly believe that was it? The dude was a villain and has probably left a trail of heartache behind him and lord only knows what he would have done in the future, where is the sympathy for his victims.
Maybe he didn't deserve to die but if he'd been acting honestly he would be walking the streets today.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Time to let this one go.....

.......or at least take it off to the Lounge.

I find it quite depressing that so many forumites are of such a radical and unforgiving persuasion at times, especially when the underlying circumstances are completely unclear.

The only connection this thread now has to do with the Thames is that the poor soul was found dead in it.

pheran

Visit site
Re: Time to let this one go.....

[ QUOTE ]
The only connection this thread now has to do with the Thames is that the poor soul was found dead in it.

[/ QUOTE ] Ah. but....its had more replies than any other thread to date. That should tell you something especially if we're to keep this particular forum alive and well. Anyway, surely thats up to the contributors. Let it run I say.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

[ QUOTE ]
Ah. but....its had more replies than any other thread to date. That should tell you something especially if we're to keep this particular forum alive and well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You honestly think this topic is going to inspire and enthuse people about the Thames and boating ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

No, IMHO it does nothing to commend this forum to anyone keen on discussing Thames boating issues.

byron

RIP
Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I didn't realise this was your forum. My mistake, I'll shut up now. I know my place.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon Chris, you must be used to being told what to do, after all you are married /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SoulFireMage

richardgriffiths.azurewebsites.net

Accidental death of a trespassing criminal should never result in the prosecution of the property unless it's beyond doubt a lethal booby trap was set. It's mad that someone could be sued by a criminal's family for something like that.

My sympathy would lie with both the guys family and his victims, and I don't think death is the fit reward for some bits of plastic.
The only time a harsh punishment of that nature would feel like justice, is if in the act of theft the victim was wilfuly severely injured or killed etc. Different ball game.

This is one of those subjects where everyone's gonna have some strong opinions really.

cliff

Visit site
[sarcasm]I reckon the owner of the stolen boat should be charged for not securing his property in a fashion that would prevent theft and hence the drowning of the thief. The thief is the innocent victim of a wealthy boat owner who through his (or her) carelessness contributed to the death if the thief.
When will people realise that thieves, rapists, child molesters, murders etc are all innocent victims of society and the real criminals are the law abiding citizens who do not do enough to support and protect the thieves, rapists, child molesters, murders etc.[/sarcasm]
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
sailroom <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>

Forbsie

Visit site
I was under the impression, from the gossip a couple of miles upriver, that this guy was on his first day at work in a local boatyard who owned the dinghy.

RupertW

Visit site

It's certainly strayed into Lounge territory, IMHO, as it has started to divide people along moral/political lines. There are many people who have stated on other forums that they don't like that kind of argument.

But, while it's here, I'll add to the voices who have little sympathy for the victim. If a solo atlantic sailor sinks, a mountaineer falls, or a thief drowns then they took the risks and this time it didn't pay off. The main difference is there may be a lot fewer people who'll miss the thief, and a lot more who are glad they are out of other people's way.

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression, from the gossip a couple of miles upriver, that this guy was on his first day at work in a local boatyard who owned the dinghy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had heard the gossip as well but personally I will take the Harbourmasters word for it

pelicanpete

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He did'nt deserve to die, we don't the circumstances that made him into a thief, what about those he left behind
what are they going through. Look into your hearts those
who think he deserved it.What a tragic waste, for a few
credit cards

[/ QUOTE ]

'ere we go! - one of the "blame someone else for my problems" brigade. He bacame a thief because he fuckin' well decided to, all of his own accord and with his own tiny little brain. Shame he died but PLEASE don't blame someone else because he turned out to be a thief..!!!

Sammo

Visit site
In the sixties when I was a teen I remember reading a report that a mugger had nicked an old ladies handbag in New Street, Birmingham, and a couple of bystanders gave chase, others joined in and they wrestled him to the ground, bit to enthusiastically as it turned out as he choked to death. There were no repercussions then but I wonder what the reaction would be if it happened today.

………….

byron

RIP
Visit site
The old lady would have been fined for tempting a thief with her handbag. The two good Samaritans would have received Life and a statue erected to the memory of the Mugger.