TENBY anchorages

Seastoke

Visit site
So we will be passing on our way to Cornwall we would like to visit the town . what sort of seas, wind can you anchor. ps we can not drf out thanks for any info. SS

MoodySabre

Visit site
You can anchor A bit NE of the harbour. The shore shallows slowly. Sheltered from a SW but exposed to an Easterly. I’m not aware of any visitors buoys but it is some years since I sailed there.
you could dry out on the harbour wall if the HM allows.
Caldey Island is closed to visitors this year.
A few miles further north there are pontoons in the water off Saundersfoot ( where my son lives) - check with the HM.

zoidberg

Visit site
There's a god good anchorage ( Freudian slip ) on the north side of Caldey Island, near the slip where the pax. ferries berth. Sheltered from SW through SE.

Snoopy463

Visit site
If you want to visit the town and can't dry out, then its at anchor to the east of the town - the Caldy anchorage is a good way off, but perhaps you have a fast rib as a tender. The visitors’ buoys can be of variable provenance, but I’ve found the tripper boat skippers amenable to lending their moorings to visiting raggies overnight as they like to stay on the wall ready for next day’s customers. Depends on the state of the tide though.

TwoHooter

Visit site
We anchored in Tenby Roads in 2017, just north of the small craft moorings, just east of the 2m contour, at 51.40.8 N, 004.41.4 W. Excellent holding in light mud, washed off easily. The Harbourmaster was helpful and responded with advice on VHF. Not particularly sheltered in a strong wind from any direction but probably safe in anything less than 7 depending on the vessel. The Tenby Harbour website is very poor (assuming this is it), with directions restricted to road travel and no useful maritime advice. The VMH site is rather out of date, I suppose I ought to start contributing to it. Reeds is the best source of info.
We beached our tender on sand between St. Catherine's Island and the Castle. On the north side of the cove was a railing you could padlock a tender to. Make sure you don't conflict with the wheeled gangway they run down to the trip boats.
I like Tenby, to me it still has a special character. I wonder what Tenby will look like next year. It must be absolutely devastated by the lockdowns. The town depends utterly on income from visitors including infamous hen and stag parties.

1603297992491.png

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Tenby Yacht Club is very friendly. We have dried out against the wall on several occasions. One can only get in about 2 hrs before HW and need to avoid the asandbank by wall end - not so hard in the clear water. Also anchored of Saundersfoot to go to cafe. SW winds being common its fairly sheltered. i believe one can get shelter from all quarters off Caldy but hold "odd" and its a long row to Tenby