tek-dek ??

longjohnsilver

Visit site
One of the regulars on the motor boat forum has used the stuff and published piccies of the results. He seemed pleased with the results. If you try a search for tek dek you should find the threads.

KevB

Visit site
I fitted tek-dek to my motor boat a couple of months ago, easy to install for your average handyman but very time consuming. Make sure you have plenty of food tins and bottles of wine to hold the ends down while they dry. If you have a look on the Tek dek web site you should see some pics I sent in under the name Bryan.

The biggest problem is the two pack type adhesive they recommend, it has a workable curing time of about an hour so you have to make sure you have cut and prepared enough tek dek as the adhesive is mixed in the tin, any you dont use is wasted.

The tek dek comes in 20mtr rolls about 45mm wide and fits together in a tongue and groove fashion, the corking is part of the tek dek so you only have to do the corking along edges where the material meets a right angles.
When I bought mine they were developing wider strips to make covering larger areas easier, I think they were about 180mm wide with the appearance of 4 x 45mm strips, corking included.

The finish is excellent, nobody who has seen my boat realised it wasn't wood until I told them.

There is also another brand called flexiteek who do a similar product but slightly more expensive. If you have a common make of boat they may have the material already cut to size, I know they do it for Fairlines.

Sealine use one of the two on the back of their boats, the one that has the submersible bathing platform.

All in all very satisfying once you have finished and for about a third of the price of the real stuff and much less maintenance involved.