Teignmouth Electron

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I notice the trailer for the Donald Crowhurst Film is now out.
http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachti...fated-sailor-donald-crowhurst-new-biopic-9535

I am much intrigued by this story. I reject the absolute assertion that is in the book that Donald Crowhurst jumped. He may have jumped but it is very easy to fall overboard in even quite mild seas in the ocean and even in a multhull. I will be interested to see how the film deals with it.

Prasutigus

Visit site
Greetings,
yes I agree he might have just accidentally fallen in, with no intention to top himself, and we should not be dogmatic about things which are basically unknowable.
Although wasn't a logbook or similar found?
I vaguely remember reading extracts, and him sounding like he was mentally ill, quite disturbing.
Why did they make a movie about that chap in particular, when they could have done one about, for example, Francis Chichester?

sarabande

Visit site
No drama, Your Highness, in the Chichester story. Plain dogged determination, a high level of varied skills, good connections, and a powerful woman behind him. Nothing to make a film full of tension, intrigue and supposition.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Greetings,
yes I agree he might have just accidentally fallen in, with no intention to top himself, and we should not be dogmatic about things which are basically unknowable.
Although wasn't a logbook or similar found?
I vaguely remember reading extracts, and him sounding like he was mentally ill, quite disturbing.
Yes a logbook was found that was full of entries that may indicate that he was having trouble with his mind. Lots of stuff about cosmic conciousness and coming to a new awareness. God like stuff in some ways. However what we write is not necessarily indicative of the actions we take, therefore in my opinion we can not be adamant as to why he went over the side, if he did.

Personally I would like to believe he is living the highlife in Brazil, having rowed there in his black avon.

I was at a sailing dinner last night and a number of us were speculating as to why his boat is still rotting away in the Caymans and no one has tried to restore it.

Triassic

Visit site
I was at a sailing dinner last night and a number of us were speculating as to why his boat is still rotting away in the Caymans and no one has tried to restore it.

No disrespect intended to Crowhurst, but would you really want to restore and sail around in a boat with such a history attached? From a practical point of view it's way beyond that anyhow.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
No disrespect intended to Crowhurst, but would you really want to restore and sail around in a boat with such a history attached? From a practical point of view it's way beyond that anyhow.

I hadn't thought about sailing it around. But I thought Rodney Hallworth his publicist could have made it into a great tourist attraction sitting on the Teignmouth seafront.

Crowhurst has certainly sparked the public interest over the last 49 years. I think that more tv/films have been made of his voyage than of Chichester or Knox Johnson.