Tecsew

James_Calvert

Visit site
I'm now rather chuffed with the premium Tecsew logos on my dodgers.

Definitely one up on the Joneses on adjacent pontoon.

My 30 something year old fenders also need a makeover to complete the effect. Any suggestions? ?

chrishscorp

Visit site
I completely agree. She’s excellent and made our current (but now worn out) stack pack. We’re a bit far away now as Serendipity is now in Gosport and I don’t think she travels this far.

Comfort afloat on the Quay Lane Industrial estate, Gosport and they do a WOA discount. I have used them and would happily reccomend them.

jaybee63

Visit site
There are a lot of complete mistruths on this post, some which are completey untrue have been liked by others in the trade which would appear to add weight to the post, but perhaps should question their morals.
I would like the opportunity to reply to each and every point, just our point of view and the truth.
Owners who have our products can state whether their opinion agrees with what I state.
iI am not saying every one will be in agreement, but it does seem some of this needs addressing.
So if it’s okay with the majority, I’d like to reply to certain posts and any questions or points that are put over?

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
There are a lot of complete mistruths on this post, some which are completey untrue have been liked by others in the trade which would appear to add weight to the post, but perhaps should question their morals.
I would like the opportunity to reply to each and every point, just our point of view and the truth.
Owners who have our products can state whether their opinion agrees with what I state.
iI am not saying every one will be in agreement, but it does seem some of this needs addressing.
So if it’s okay with the majority, I’d like to reply to certain posts and any questions or points that are put over?
It isn’t a majority decision. What is permitted to be posted on the forum must be in accordance to the forum rules you’ve signed up to.

chrishscorp

Visit site

Jaybee63, No one would prevent you a right to reply (y)

Last edited:

jaybee63

Visit site
Interesting. A comment from a competitor was that Tecsew make things that look beautiful and fit perfectly but one of the reasons is that they don't do a lot (if any) reinforcement. They explained that it's a lot easier to get something to look good if it hasn't got reinforcing patches etc. (This from someone I know and trust in the trade and who isn't able to quote for this job - so no side to their comment.)
I will start with this point regarding lack of reinforcement. All our covers are well reinforced, more so than most that I see. As far as I am aware we were the first company to start reinforcing all roof panels where the zip pockets start and end, to add a pulling band to the rear edge of the sprayhood, this is standard, all bottom edges are reinforced so as 3 thickness thick in total, not just where the fittings are placed. Tracing is also sewn onto a fully reinforced bottom edge.
With Bimini conversions, we reinforce the "top" and bottom of all panels. Quite often if the windows are low down, the reinforcing is taken up to the bottom edge of the window so it's hidden and similar at the top so it looks neater.
Winch patches are not usually separate patches, but the bottom reinforcing taken up to include the area of Chaffe, looking neater, stronger and using more material.
So a competitor puts our quality of fit and product finish down to lack a of reinforcing and this comment has been liked by someone in the industry is questionable to say the least.
The outside edges of our Biminis are "4" thickness thick with one layer extending in from the edge a minimum of 150mm.
I am posting pictures of a few product CNC cut files and you will see the reinforcing and with the Bimini Conversion you will note how much there is and appreciate the work to sew all the reinforcing into the cover.
And as explained above, most is put in so that it does not look like patches but blends into the cover.

The Bimini file also shows how we include a helm window in nearly all of our Biminis, we include a blind for the window, also a neck shade panel, and a valise and nearly all Biminis where its possible will be supported with twin support struts.
Bimini Conversion.jpg
The image above is a Bimini Conversion. It's worth noting this image is just the rear and side panels, there would also be the panels to zip to the sprayhood roof to fully enclose.

Bimini.jpg
The above image is a 4 bar Bimini, includes stowage valise and a Neck shade panel (Valise is standard on our Biminis, nearly all will include a neck shade panel).

Cockpit enclosure.jpg
The above is the cut file for a cockpit enclosure with roll upsides. Note the large reinforcing pieces, 2 per side so cover ends up 3 ply in these areas.

Sprayhood.jpg
Above is a 3 bar Sprayhood

Last edited:
Reactions: DJE

jaybee63

Visit site
I believe they gave a right to reply within the forum rules. I’ve read back through the thread and I stand by everything I’ve written. I’ve seen no ‘likes’ from competitors although I don’t know the true identity of absolutely everyone.
Hi John.
I have no issue whatsoever with your post and would actually thank you for having the opportunity to quote.
I just wanted to address some of the points raised which I feel deserve a response.
For instance, my first reply is in response to reinforcement.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Hi John.
I have no issue whatsoever with your post and would actually thank you for having the opportunity to quote.
I just wanted to address some of the points raised which I feel deserve a response.
For instance, my first reply is in response to reinforcement.
No problem John. I did wonder at the suggestion and I'm always sceptical when competitors slate other people's products. My only suggestion on here is to be careful not to overstep into advertising. A right of reply seems perfectly reasonable to me. I've raised this with Admin and my fellow moderators so they're aware of this discussion.

jaybee63

Visit site
No problem John. I did wonder at the suggestion and I'm always sceptical when competitors slate other people's products. My only suggestion on here is to be careful not to overstep into advertising. A right of reply seems perfectly reasonable to me. I've raised this with Admin and my fellow moderators so they're aware of this discussion.
Thank you, John.
I have been on the forum a very long time and don't believe I've ever tried to advertise. I have answered questions where we have the knowledge, perhaps cleaning, how you would fit a bimini to a boat which presents challenges.
I will keep my responses to trying to explain a few things bought up.
You are local, would you like to come in and have a conversation at some convenient time. We would make you most welcome, I'm not after a sale and I appreciate that you have gone with someone else and I understand why.
Just to add on a few points, we've never exhibited at a boat show in 40 years of trading.
When we set up, we were primarily "trade" only and delivered a product that met the requirements of the builders/dealers we worked for.
There were lots of questions when we decided we wanted to work retail as well.
Did we supply the spec we were supplying on new boats to retail, or what was generally being supplied retail.
Our trade products had fully zipped pockets, zipped track, mostly 22/25 mm frames not 18mm, all frame fittings adjustable, cast solid S/S frame fittings, fittings quick release, V138 sewing thread, Sunbrella Plus fabric, always the coated version, super mirror polished 316 tubes, not mirror polished, Valises included and so much more.
We have over 12,000 photos on our website, most in large format.
We came up with the Bimini conversion concept here in the U.K. If you have a look at ours, just search google of our site, the back is not just one panel, its usually 3, the sides are not one panel each side, there are usually 2 window panels and a zipped connection panel to the Sprayhood.
But often when we quote and lose, the resultant conversion has 1 side panel on each side and 1 back panel.
There's nothing wrong with this approach, but it's not what we do as standard.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I think the problem is that earthly sailors simply cannot believe that equivalent quality isn’t available for a much lower price. John’s quote and the 500 quid tent top seemingly being adequate evidence.

Material costs are fairly low but, how many one-off sprayhoods can be made in a week in a small operation, including site visits? Forgetting the cost of equipping a workshop, just add wages, rent, rates, heating and lighting, cost of running transport etc. and it's easy to see how costs build up.

Tomaret

Visit site
When I acquired my 27 year old Dehler the original sprayhood was well beyond repair. I got a quote from Tecsew of £800 + VAT which was more than I wanted to spend and then went with Advanced Covers who were, at the time, making covers for Discovery. I paid £600 +VAT for a replacement sprayhood reusing the existing metalwork. I was pleased with the service and the product. Rob was happy to be rowed out to a midstream pontoon in Portsmouth Harbour to do the measure and the fit. It’s now in its sixth season and still looking in good condition. My only regret is not up having a zipped section put in the window - could have done with the through flow of air yesterday. On my previous boat I used CJ Marine and was happy with that as well, but they were quoting long lead times when I asked.

jaybee63

Visit site
I did wonder at the comment, but the person who made it is a very respected cover maker (but from another part of the country and so can't help me). They were commenting on examples of Tecsew items that they had seen in person.

Your description of how Tecsew measure and make things matches my experience so far. I met Owen who helped bring in the 3D scanning equipment and software that enables their CAD designs. It was him who came and scanned our boat and it was all very professional and I was confident that it was going to be a good fit etc. Sadly I can't justify their price. CJ Marine are coming in at about half their quote and if I take the boat down to Plymouth, Sarah at Ocean Canvas also comes in at a similar price. I have confidence in both companies and their products so sadly, Owens scanning efforts will be nugatory as I can't justify the Tecsew prices..

John, just for interest, this is the scanned model of the data we took. Anyone who knows about scanning will know it does not download from the scanner as a useable model but as cloud data with millions of unconnected points in 3D space.
There are a number of steps to obtain a meshed model and it takes time and expertise.

So why do we scan and not just take patterns, its because we can draw up designs and show the customer without bending a frame, designs can be amended if need be, but we design to agreed heights, can show winch handle clearance etc.
Our designers can spin the design around on the screen and use whatever radii they decide on to give the best appearance whilst meeting the design brief and being practical.

If we wanted to be quick, cheaper, we wouldn't be doing this. CAD and technology for us are about better design, better functionality, customer engagement and repeatability.
With a Sparyhhod for example, we don't bend a frame until the designs are signed off, it is a longer process with customer engagement, often calling into our offices and spending time in conversations detailing the design.

It won't be for everyone and there are cheaper methods to design and manufacture, much cheaper, "but" if we let it become all about price, we wouldn't have changed our industry with CAD and that's a worldwide impact and we wouldn't be able to offer customers what we do.
A few years back we were asked by a leading sailing magazine to design and install a canvas package, Sprayhood, Enclosure and Sailcover for a traditional boat. We were told 3 other cover makers had declined the project as it wasn't on a glossy new boat and presented design challenges. We had to wait for over a year for the review, were awarded 10/10 and were told we were the only product or company they had ever reviewed and given top marks too.
It was mentioned that a lot of this was down to our design capability and addressing issues they had with the previous canvas designs.

It's a process we developed over 10 years ago, as far as I am aware we were first worldwide and I was asked to give a 3 hour lecture in the U.S to a national conference around what we have achieved with CAD design.

Sealord.jpg

Sea-Fever

Visit site
Nothing written in this thread will change anything. Tecsew have attempted to justify their extremely high prices, and prospective customers will make a judgement on whether they want to spend that sort of money on a fabric product. Others have provided recommendations for apparently reputable and competent competitors.

It's a free market after all. I realise value for money takes on a different meaning in boating, however a bimini and stack pack are two items I would not spend £8.5k on.

As and when Tecsew want to engage with the mainstream boat market I'm sure they will. Until then, they obviously occupy the top end for those who need extremely high quality protection from the sun or rain.

I have a cap that I wear.....but then I'm a cheap skate.

dslittle

Visit site
Spray hood, cockpit tonneau and binnacle/table cover. Excellent quality and service. Top of the range in quality and price.
Same here. They were certainly not the cheapest but my cockpit tent is now in it‘s 11th year and still looks as good as new (and that includes five years as liveaboards and two winters on the West Coast of Scotland). Combined with great customer service, I do think that they are worth the money.
That’s not to say that other suppliers are equally as good though.

Last edited:

DipperToo

Visit site
Same here. They were certainly not the cheapest but my cockpit tent is now in it‘s 11th year and still looks as good as new (and that includes five years as liveaboards and two winters on the West Coast of Scotland). Combined with great customer service, I do think that they are worth the money.
That’s not to say that other suppliers are equally as good thoug.
Seconded as a view. My original Tecsew Stack Pack is now 14 years old and although some of the cotton stitching now needs redoing, it has lasted extremely well.
I also look for multiple quotes as being retired one does need to watch where the boating costs go, and to my surprise, when looking for quotes recently I found that there was not such a huge difference between Tecsew and others when I specified that a premium material like Sunbrella Plus to be used (needed to get a good match with existing covers/canopies using Sunbrella).
No connection to Tecsew other than being a previous customer