Tecsew

Blueboatman

Visit site
Just as an add on :
Does all this really have to be done in the uk and right now?
The reason I ask is because if as I understand it the OP is off cruising , he is def going to meet ‘cruisers’ with plenty of experience of knocking up great canvas work . And cruisers having all the kit on board and a budget to maintain ..May well work at a very favourable yet very fair rate and personal reputation is everything on the cruising circuit ?
I have personally found this a great route in Lanzarote b4 doing a t-wind crossing
And then again in the Caribbean
And a third time ( best yet ) in the USA

Another way , just buy and carry the material and a book and a sewing machine and pattern making materiel . I have the Sailrite and bits but have not tackled a full enclosure ( yet?)

Time is your friend in these matters when it is blowing a hooley and you are awaiting weather for two weeks somewhere
Just offering a different mindset (and budget!) once you set sail.

Daydream believer

Visit site
another way , just buy and carry the material and a book and a sewing machine and pattern making materiel . I have the Sailrite and bits but have not tackled a full enclosure ( yet?)
That is a good idea- OP could take some secondhand lorry tarps. Nice & strong material & to be modern he could have a bimini with "Eddie Stobart" or " Norbert Detrasangle" diagonally across the top. All the trend with hand luggage, so he could be one up in the "looking flash " stakes, with the bimini in different colours :rolleyes:

Blueboatman

Visit site
That is a good idea- OP could take some secondhand lorry tarps. Nice & strong material & to be modern he could have a bimini with "Eddie Stobart" or " Norbert Detrasangle" diagonally across the top. All the trend with hand luggage, so he could be one up in the "looking flash " stakes, with the bimini in different colours :rolleyes:
Well he could do that , but will he ??
Eddie S might read this very forum
Never heard of Norb Who??

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
John, as it looks like you've been around WAFUs for a bit, do you not know any ex SE ratings that could knock one up for you? I had a nice wash grip made up 20 years ago and still using it today :LOL:

ashtead

Visit site
I have over the years used CJ at Fishbourne ,Tecsew and Covercare at Emsworth . I have never had any issues with Tecsew or Covercare but not a great fan of CJ Marine who used to supply all the old Bavaria canvas for Opal dealers. Our cockpit tent is by Tecsew (used by Clipper I recall) and after 5 years still good but with zip in sides is not a cheap product as a combi type product .For smaller jobs since I have used Covercare and have been impressed by the delivery on time and fit of replacement plastic on the German made spray hood and covers so I would definitely ask them for a quote in future if I was looking for new canvas work. Tecsew have a great website showing their work and everyone I spoke to about John and Ally were complimentary before I used them.

Nina Lucia

Visit site
Tecsew is definitely overpriced! Unless you really don't care how much you paying...
We had our sprayhood, cockpit cover and stuck pack for the less than third of price from reputable guys, when we asked for the quote, Tecsew was selling they product by saying how everyone's also is soo bad. That put me off straight on so we found one that suits us much better. All done perfectly and on time.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
My canvas is now approaching 10 yrs old, and as the boat is now approaching 20 years old, I realised it is about the same age as the worn out stack pack and spray hood that came with it on purchase.

It was made by a local guy in Cardiff (who was competent but lazy) but is still in okay, or the better side of okay, condition.

two years ago I had the stitching repaired by Sanders, as we have their sails and all servicing done by them.

It’s occurred to me it will need replacing soon and if I was on the south coast I don’t doubt I’d be happy with a quote and workmanship by sanders.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
I’ve no idea why this has turned into a Tecsew bashing exercise. They’re very successful at designing and selling a quality product at a profit. Nobody is going to force you to buy from them. You have a choice of several alternatives at differing price and quality.
I think the problem is that earthly sailors simply cannot believe that equivalent quality isn’t available for a much lower price. John’s quote and the 500 quid tent top seemingly being adequate evidence.

Pete7

Visit site
I think the problem is that earthly sailors simply cannot believe that equivalent quality isn’t available for a much lower price. John’s quote and the 500 quid tent top seemingly being adequate evidence.

A bit like the post earlier recommending Kemps. We asked them for a quote for a full canopy which I needed to sit down after reading. Sadly for them they had subbed it out to CJ and just added £800 to the CJ price. Hadn't even removed CJs details from the quote.

There is a little family business sail maker in Sheppards Marina, Cowes. they quoted us £2700 and suggested we re-use the stainless steel frame for the sprayhood part to keep the cost down. Now that is more like it, only on hold because we bought a habitent.

Pete

WoodyP

Visit site
At least you’d have a rectangle cut on a 250k CAD system. How else could one competently cut a rectangle.
I have something similar, but cost me £60 three years ago from the Sail Register, Gallions lane Market Rasen. They also resewed a stackpack and sprayhood originally made by C J about 2005 or 6. I think that it's lasted pretty well.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I have used a small company in Pembroke Dock over the years, Cleddau Marine, friendly service and good quality, they have also repaired or worked on several items (cushions, sail covers) over the years.
Their prices seem to be average for the work, but as far as I know they still use patterns rather than CAD.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I’ve no idea why this has turned into a Tecsew bashing exercise. They’re very successful at designing and selling a quality product at a profit. Nobody is going to force you to buy from them. You have a choice of several alternatives at differing price and quality.
No bashing of Tecsew from me at all. I question their pricing structure but it's a free market and if they can sell their products at that price then good luck to them. My OP was about really trying to ask for any experience of them and their products and whether there was any justification for their pricing. I'me reasonably happy to pay a premium price for a superior product. However I haven't heard anything yet that suggests that their product is vastly superior to all others and hence justifies the very high price.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
No bashing of Tecsew from me at all. I question their pricing structure but it's a free market and if they can sell their products at that price then good luck to them. My OP was about really trying to ask for any experience of them and their products and whether there was any justification for their pricing. I'me reasonably happy to pay a premium price for a superior product. However I haven't heard anything yet that suggests that their product is vastly superior to all others and hence justifies the very high price.
Yes, wasn't you I meant... :)

Piddy

Visit site
Interesting. A comment from a competitor was that Tecsew make things that look beautiful and fit perfectly but one of the reasons is that they don't do a lot (if any) reinforcement. They explained that it's a lot easier to get something to look good if it hasn't got reinforcing patches etc. (This from someone I know and trust in the trade and who isn't able to quote for this job - so no side to their comment.)

Tecsew sprayhood some 10 years ago - new plastic window fitted 3 years ago - excellent quality but pricey at the time. I invested in a Kemp stack pack last year - chuffed to bits with design and quality.

Daydream believer

Visit site
The trick in industry to compete successfully is to produce your product cheaper than your competitor & then sell it at a higher price. Seems they are achieving that