Targa 40 – Saloon table / infill customisation opinions sought

bluetooth

Visit site
I have recently moved up to a T40 after 5 years with a Fairline Targa 34. The saloon infill design is different and a bit of a pain in the proverbial. The T34 had a saloon table that dropped to accept the sofa infill which is a pretty standard approach. Unfortunately the T40 design is that the (large and heavy) table has to be moved to one side to allow a large hinged heavy wooden “infill” section to be slotted into place with a supporting leg underneath. Storing and moving the wooden infill with the stainless rest plates and moving the table does seem to make the whole process challenging.
So I am trying to rework the T34 set up. I have sourced a triple gas pedestal that goes low enough to support the infill at the correct level (340mm) without going through the floor (its above a cross matrix support for the floor) and has a decent base to take the load although is pricey:
http://www.marineteak.co.uk/heavy-duty-gas-sprung-deluxe-pedestal-146-p.asp

The infill zone is unfortunately asymmetrical as can be seen in the picture. I have knocked up a basic template in cheap plywood to act as a starting point. This can be lifted up and down without distorting the leather seats. I am thinking on knocking another up to make a symmetrical oval shape and see what works both functionally and aesthetically but this will reduce the area that the infill can rest on.

Just wondered whether anyone has does anything similar, thoughts on my plan and which companies are worth approaching to make the table in a similar finish to the old one which is beautifully finished

The photos should be self explanatory as to what I am trying to do
Any thoughts and advice welcomed

Attachments

• 1-T40.jpg
    1-T40.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 2-T40.jpg
    2-T40.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 7
  • 3-T40.jpg
    3-T40.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 4-T40.jpg
    4-T40.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 10
  • 5-T40.jpg
    5-T40.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 6-T40.jpg
    6-T40.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 7
  • 7-T40.jpg
    7-T40.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 7

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Who's going to sleep on it? The saloon seating on the T40 is generally a tricky shape, it uses the available area very inefficiently, so whatever berth you end up with is going to be quite compromised. Is this for regular use by kids? Occasional guests? One or two people?

bluetooth

Visit site
We don't use the table that much! Want it for lounging esp kids for TV. Yes the table does need redesigning which is what I am trying to figure out a design for. The infill cushions doent need full support so a gap of sorts shouldnt be an issue. Just wondered if anyone has approached this customisation before. The plywood I have knocked up is just a starter to try and visualise and improve on.
I don't intend to destroy or alter the existing table /pedestal

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
We don't use the table that much! Want it for lounging esp kids for TV. Yes the table does need redesigning which is what I am trying to figure out a design for. The infill cushions doent need full support so a gap of sorts shouldnt be an issue. Just wondered if anyone has approached this customisation before. The plywood I have knocked up is just a starter to try and visualise and improve on.
I don't intend to destroy or alter the existing table /pedestal

There isn't an easy or cheap answer to this. If you want easy tv lounging space for your kids then I'd forget this idea completely and instead just stick a tv on the side of the wardrobe in the mid cabin, they can lounge to their hearts content in there.

bluetooth

Visit site
Could be that price depending on where I go for it and what quality finish I settle for. Looking for any advice or what others may have done. Given that am just looking for a single piece of wood being cut and varnished (or however they do it) is different to a folding design requiring reinforcement. The non-marine world may have better value!

bluetooth

Visit site
There isn't an easy or cheap answer to this. If you want easy tv lounging space for your kids then I'd forget this idea completely and instead just stick a tv on the side of the wardrobe in the mid cabin, they can lounge to their hearts content in there.

Jimmy
The large saloon was one of the reasons for the upgrade from T34 and we inherited large sat TV which you can just see. Whilst the boat isn't for watching TV some family evening time with kids for next 3-4+ years is part of the plan. Agree its not easy and hence the thread.

jrudge

Visit site
As a former T40 owner I can't see this being a good way to spend money.

We used this as a bed once. It is an odd shape and will just about sleep 1 adult and a child.

You say to use for lounging ... look at this another way. You have a lounging area on deck.

I dont know if you are based in the Uk or the med, but either way with a fan heater on and the covers up that area is pretty snug.

I would instead buy a flat screen tv and put it on top of the grill when you need it. You can put electric etc in the cupboard to the right of the outside fridge ( I put an ice maker in here).

The cost of changing the table etc, making it non stock when you sell - and it is a nice table - I can't see working. Even if you did this the run of lounge seating is long and it will be difficult to get in and out of .

Just my view.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
As a former T40 owner I can't see this being a good way to spend money.

We used this as a bed once. It is an odd shape and will just about sleep 1 adult and a child.

You say to use for lounging ... look at this another way. You have a lounging area on deck.

I dont know if you are based in the Uk or the med, but either way with a fan heater on and the covers up that area is pretty snug.

I would instead buy a flat screen tv and put it on top of the grill when you need it. You can put electric etc in the cupboard to the right of the outside fridge ( I put an ice maker in here).

The cost of changing the table etc, making it non stock when you sell - and it is a nice table - I can't see working. Even if you did this the run of lounge seating is long and it will be difficult to get in and out of .

Just my view.

Tee-hee, will there ever be a T40 thread where your ice maker *doesn't* get a mention? :D:D:D

benjenbav

Visit site
Why not just get a table top made in the shape of the template and mount it on the new strut. If that can be done for £1k and it makes someone happy, I'm failing to see the objection.

Keep the existing table top and reinstall it prior to sale.

scubaman

Visit site
Why not just get a table top made in the shape of the template and mount it on the new strut. If that can be done for £1k and it makes someone happy, I'm failing to see the objection.

Keep the existing table top and reinstall it prior to sale.

+1.

I can fully see where you Bluetooth are coming from with the lounging area comment. We have a Phantom 43 and keep the saloon table almost permanently in the cockpit. Likewise in the saloon we keep the port side sofa seat base as an extension to the stb side saloon sofa on a permanent basis. Often after a long day outdoors kids like to chill on this extended lounging area which is a bit quieter than outside but still part of the action (which they would miss being in their own cabin). This has been a very popular setup on our boat and I believe it would be in yours as well.

Last edited:

bluetooth

Visit site
Wasn't feeling forum love until Benjavbav & Scubaman. This modification will benefit family use and also for the boys weekends so for me well worth reasonable money. Have no intention of getting rid of existing table /pedestal so can reinstall in future. So challenge then is to come in well under £1k ? Will keep you posted on what I can come up with.

bluetooth

Visit site
So after 2 years the job is done !

Template version 3 can be seen which sits on a new pedestal and the sofa base to stop it rocking. A 3-strut Heavy Duty Gas Sprung Deluxe Pedestal was sourced to make it low enough to be level with the sofa. Version 2 was a larger base unit to fit the entire outline of sofa base but was asymmetric. Bit by bit this was adjusted. I also worked an L-shaped plastic edge screwed to the outer edge to stop the infill sliding off. (Version 1 was the asymmetric table)

Over the winter I found a local carpenter who copied the template and achieved full symmetry in oak and made a fancy gimble that clips / unclips based on a central aligning dowel. Bit of £10 mahogany stain and hey presto ! Total price to me £750.

Table result.JPG

Last edited:

BruceK

Visit site
Very nice :encouragement: I can understand why you wanted to do this. Although I am not in favour of it our dinette stays pretty much as a lounger full time and used extensively as such by the kids either watching tv or playing whatever via the boat's broadband. UK weather and all that it is not every day is a beach day...

Other threads that may be of interest