Tally ho

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Makes for more comfortable use when hove to on starboard tack?

Thanks John!

And of course the whole deck layout is set up to reef when hove to on the starboard tack in order to have right of way over everything else.

Do you remember the engraving in EF Knight’s “Sailing” titled “Hove to in the Channel for lunch”?

I do now remember that rule for the galley (it would be very naughty to tell Leo Goolden that he has forgotten it!?)

I think there was a Clyde posh yacht rule, enforced by the likes of Robertson’s, Fifes and McGruers, that the starboard side was where guests boarded and was not where the heads was.

Tradewinds

Visit site
On my C&N 39 the galley is on the starboard side. So was it C&N or Ray Wall who decided that?

PS Main head fwd on port side. 2nd head aft on Stbd. I guess - whoever it was - felt that taking a dump was more important than cooking . . .

Last edited:

Keen_Ed

Visit site
I think there was a Clyde posh yacht rule, enforced by the likes of Robertson’s, Fifes and McGruers, that the starboard side was where guests boarded and was not where the heads was.
Jack Aubrey always boards on the starboard side when being formal, and on the larboard when he wants no fuss. The sort of detail I can believe PO’B getting right.

Rosie1963

ramblinginrosie.blogspot.co.uk
Please reference these multiple claims on skin fitting failure.

So, it was in the mid 2000s sometime I went to our local chandlers, Foxes. There was a bit of a commotion, and I could see a yacht had sunk on a pontoon. I bought my stuff and asked the check-out what had happened they said seacock failure. Apparently a fairly new yacht.

Rowing back to Pin Mill from my then mooring 2008/9? (time really escapes me), I went past half a gaff rigged mast half out of the water. It was Transcur, Frank Mulville’s famous smack. Again, seacock failure. She was in concours condition.

I think if you have a wooden hull, you tend to be extra vigilant.

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
So, it was in the mid 2000s sometime I went to our local chandlers, Foxes. There was a bit of a commotion, and I would see a yacht had sunk on a pontoon. I bought my stuff and asked the check-out what had happened they said seacock failure. Apparently a fairly new yacht.

Rowing back to Pin Mill from my then mooring 2008/9? (time really escapes me), I went past half a gaff rigged mast half out of the water. It was Transcur, Frank Mulville’s famous smack. Again, seacock failure. She was in concours condition.

I think if you have a wooden hull, you tend to be extra vigilant.

I recall that Pete said that he had left a heavy tool box on a shelf; Transcur was rolled by the wash of a passing vessel, the toolbox fell on the almost new skin fitting and fractured it.

Rosie1963

ramblinginrosie.blogspot.co.uk
If Leo is planning to take passengers in the future as he indicated, perhaps another head should be planned in?
He has spent an absolute fortune on this rebuild, it's just a little thing but could make all the difference.

I have a personal observation about yachts with two heads.

I only go on such boats when invited to crew, and that is usually on longer passages. On nearly every occasion one of the two toilets has blocked – in a variety and styles of yachts. It is such a horrible job unblocking a toilet at sea that the usual consensus is to leave it till we get into port and just use the other one till then. So I can’t recall ever experiencing the full “two heads” luxury for an entire passage. I am not sure why, but when having two heads, there is higher chance of blockage. Maybe there’s unconscious group think and the crew start getting a bit cavalier with the paper? Or that the food is more plentiful, as there is an off-watch cook usually over-cooking (stodge) for meals, or that within a larger crew there is more chance of somebody less experienced in the idiosyncrasies of a pump-out toilet, and fail to keep flushing well after the initial clearing of the bowl?

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I have a personal observation about yachts with two heads.

I only go on such boats when invited to crew, and that is usually on longer passages. On nearly every occasion one of the two toilets has blocked – in a variety and styles of yachts. It is such a horrible job unblocking a toilet at sea that the usual consensus is to leave it till we get into port and just use the other one till then. So I can’t recall ever experiencing the full “two heads” luxury for an entire passage. I am not sure why, but when having two heads, there is higher chance of blockage. Maybe there’s unconscious group think and the crew start getting a bit cavalier with the paper? Or that the food is more plentiful, as there is an off-watch cook usually over-cooking (stodge) for meals, or that within a larger crew there is more chance of somebody less experienced in the idiosyncrasies of a pump-out toilet, and fail to keep flushing well after the initial clearing of the bowl?
This is what happens with my guests. It is very difficult to convince them that they need to do another 10 full strokes on the pump once the stuff is out of sight.
Although (fingers crossed) we have only once had a blockage and that was in the pump itself with a very substantial "wet wipe" and easy to clear with no nasty stuff in sight (or smell).

Wansworth

Visit site
This is what happens with my guests. It is very difficult to convince them that they need to do another 10 full strokes on the pump once the stuff is out of sight.
Although (fingers crossed) we have only once had a blockage and that was in the pump itself with a very substantial "wet wipe" and easy to clear with no nasty stuff in sight (or smell).
Keel hauling only reminder that works?

Other threads that may be of interest