Tally ho

38mess

Visit site
I just watched the latest video, the initial layout looks ok, but having just one head? If Leo is planning to take passengers in the future as he indicated, perhaps another head should be planned in?
He has spent an absolute fortune on this rebuild, it's just a little thing but could make all the difference.

Fiddlesticks

Visit site
A few of the comments said the same. Personally, I was wondering about the depth of that galley, but I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

D

Deleted member 36384

I don’t think the boat is being fitted out for guests. It very much looks like an owner, sailor boat, with friends sometimes taken onboard. The forecabin is more storage and workshop, with berth options. Very sensible in my view, not wasting space on a second head.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Is he going for MCA Blue Book?
When you are young and have a range of options, I was advised to take a decision and stick to it. Do Leo's 'followers' seriously believe he reads the comments and alters his project?

doug748

Visit site
I don’t think the boat is being fitted out for guests. It very much looks like an owner, sailor boat, with friends sometimes taken onboard. The forecabin is more storage and workshop, with berth options. Very sensible in my view, not wasting space on a second head.

That's my impression as well. Friends and special guests rather than a large team.
From earlier comments I was expecting maybe a crew cabin with 4 single berths to accommodate guest/trainees and the like. However, fair doo's, he is the man with the vision.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
We are lucky that Leo's into yachting, he could sell coals to Newcastle on Youtube, accompanied by his bird of course..

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
Is he going for MCA Blue Book?
When you are young and have a range of options, I was advised to take a decision and stick to it. Do Leo's 'followers' seriously believe he reads the comments and alters his project?
Virtual pint Gary? ?

16.46 in this weeks video ????????????????????????

Ink

Visit site
That's my impression as well. Friends and special guests rather than a large team.
From earlier comments I was expecting maybe a crew cabin with 4 single berths to accommodate guest/trainees and the like. However, fair doo's, he is the man with the vision.

I questioned the need for a chart table and was advised that the boat will be used to teach 'proper' - I took that to be trad navigation.

If its going to be friends and special guests, they can't all want to learn how to use a sextant, now can they?

I too think he's missing a trick over a second head, but, hey, what do I know.

Ink

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Watching the rebuild of Tally Hoo is like watching masterclass of boat building every two weeks, I would love to know what Leo thinks of 'Ship Happens'' he probably like many of us he can not believe what they are doing and how they do it.

As for 'two heads' come on its not the QE2 he's renovating its a 111 year old 47.5 ft x 12.8 ft beam classic cutter sailing yacht and I am 100% sure he knows exactly what he's doing and he listens to others for there advice/comments, this weeks episode watching them making and fitting the first bulkhead was another masterclass in woodwork.

Some interesting data here Technical Data. :: Yacht Tally Ho

Rosie1963

ramblinginrosie.blogspot.co.uk
Watching the rebuild of Tally Hoo is like watching masterclass of boat building every two weeks, I would love to know what Leo thinks of 'Ship Happens'' he probably like many of us he can not believe what they are doing and how they do it.

As for 'two heads' come on its not the QE2 he's renovating its a 111 year old 47.5 ft x 12.8 ft beam classic cutter sailing yacht and I am 100% sure he knows exactly what he's doing and he listens to others for there advice/comments, this weeks episode watching them making and fitting the first bulkhead was another masterclass in woodwork.

An extra heads is a couple of holes in a wooden hull and if you wont use it often, that is a liability one doesn’t need.

38mess

Visit site

Yes tally ho is built to a111 years old design, and Leo wants to keep everything as authentic as possible, but it's not 111 years ago, so I wonder if he will have modern navigation aids as backup to his charts? Another toilet will make the world of difference. No need to suffer for authenticity. All in my humble opinion of course

Last edited:

Ink

Visit site
Yes tally ho is 111 years old and Leo wants to keep everything as authentic as possible, but it's not 111 years ago, so I wonder if he will have modern navigation aids as backup to his charts? Another toilet will make the world of difference. No need to suffer for authenticity. All in my humble opinion of course

Sorry but Tally Ho has yet to be launched. Let's not kid ourselves it's 111 years old.

It is a boat made to an old design but made with modern tools and tolerances. A world of difference.

Ink

38mess

Visit site
Sorry but Tally Ho has yet to be launched. Let's not kid ourselves it's 111 years old.

It is a boat made to an old design but made with modern tools and tolerances. A world of difference.

Ink
Sorry, what I meant was TH is a new boat so why not have modern equipment. Suffering for ones art is is all well I good, but it can only be taken so far.
I have edited my previous post

D

Deleted member 36384

Ink

I have often wondered why he bothered rescuing the hulk, has any of it been retained? Was the lofting dimensions taken from plans or measurements from the original boat. He actually discovered that the boat was not symmetrical to an extent that suggested it had been built that way, not warped.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I have often wondered why he bothered rescuing the hulk, has any of it been retained? Was the lofting dimensions taken from plans or measurements from the original boat. He actually discovered that the boat was not symmetrical to an extent that suggested it had been built that way, not warped.

To save you watching the first hundred episodes:

1. See “Sailing Alone Around the World”

2. Yes, some parts of the original structure - some planks in the transom. Leo intends to restore and re-use the original deck houses, also.

3. The lofting was from the original table of offsets.

4. The lack of symmetry was due to repairs made following a grounding in the Pacific.

Carry on!

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest