Talking About North Sails. Is it Possible to Cut Down a 3DL Jib?

savageseadog

Visit site
I need to cut about 0.3m off a 15m luff jib. Looking at the job which I will do myself (I have pro sewing gear) the obvious approach would be to take it off the head but the threads converge at the head so I'm not sure if it will destroy the integrity of the sail.

Anyone done anything similar or know anyone who has. I will probably phone North anyway but I don't just want a quote for a new one.

James_Calvert

Visit site
Whilst awaiting a serious reply to this question, if one is feasible...

Have you thought alternatively of moving your forestay and jib halyard entry about a foot up your mast?

olly_love

Visit site
I would say no on a 3DI sail as the fibers would be aranged to have the strength in this area,
best to call north and get them to do it as they will have the Fibre layouts and be able to add strength where needed

Shuggy

Visit site
Feels like a bit of a surreal thread - but perhaps best to post pics of the sail design so that those (and I’m not one of them) who know can opine? Taking it off the head feels all wrong. But it depends what the foot looks like. Is it tri-radial?

flaming

Visit site
I struggle to imagine that you will get an especially good result from recutting a 3DL sail by that much.
If you really want to go for it, I'd suggest a sizeable area of reinforcement covering maybe the top 3 foot or so of the sail. By taking that much off the head you are really going to mess with the load path, especially in the leach, so you may be best going for a square top on the sail to allow the leach loads to take as much as possible their previous path, possibly with an added batten. But really this is way out of my experience.

My best advice would be to talk to North. The extra life you're likely to get out of the sail with a pro job will probably offset the cost...

www.highwatersails.com
A head cut down is very achievable. You are moving to an area of lower fibre density but with correct repatching of the corner this is not an issue at all.

I would attach a photo of one I did last week but it is too big.....

Other threads that may be of interest