Takis Boatyard in Aegina vs Poros Marine

tchierici

Visit site
I had a reasonable quote from Takis Boatyard in Aegina but I just wanted reassurance about a couple of things.
- How good is Takis in sticking to the agreed day and time of hauling and launching? I am asking because I usually go sailing in Greece for 4 weeks in June and 2 or 3 weeks in September and I am on a tight schedule. It's super important that the agreed timing of the hauling and launching are respected or I'll miss flights back home and be late for work.
- How is the workmanship at the yard? I will need to do some electrics and rigging work soon.

I also got a good price at Takis in Poros (Poros marine SA). Any opinions on that yard?

grumpygit

Visit site
As an alternative you could try Kalypso Boat Parking near Galatas which I believe is relatively new and secure as they live on site.
I have no idea of their pricing but it may be worth a try?

Dragon461

Visit site
Takis is better than Poros, I stayed there for 10 years also in Poros for2 years and I absolutely wouldn't recommend anyone go there.

grumpygit

Visit site
Fair enough, I just thought it was worth a mention, but which Poros yard are you taking about? I have no experiences of the Poros yard except for hearsay.
The Klypso yard I have no first hand experience off apart from dropping off a friend there a couple of times, he seems very happy being in their yard.

tchierici

Visit site
This is where I get confused. I hear that "Asprakis" yard has a bad reputation but the yard I got the quote from is "Takis Boatyard" HOME. Which I think is owned by the cousin of Asprakis. Is Takis the same as Asprakis?
I just need to know whether they can guarantee times of hauling and launching and whether they are honest and reliable. The launching slip looks a bit exposed to northerly.....

I did get a reply from Kalypso in Poros but they said to get in touch again in June just before I arrive which is not viable for me as I need to arrange everything in advance because of flights etc, I use the boat 3 to 4 weeks in June and again in September.

Davy_S

Visit site
Yes you're right but the yard known as "Asprakis" is not the same as "Takis". I think Takis is his cousin hence the same surname.
History
Our grandfather, John Asprakis, founded the first boatyard in Aegina in 1910. His sons, Antonis and Giorgos Asprakis continued his work, constructing and repairing wooden boats. We, the grandchildren of John Asprakis, still honour the familly tradition with experience, liability and reliability.

tchierici

Visit site
I am in Kalypso right now if anyone has any questions.
Is everything ok there? I have left my boat there for the winter and I have been trying to contact Daniela but had no reply. I need to get a sun bimini and spray hood made and installed before June and they said they’ll quote me but they never reply to my messages.