Swift/ Morton Explorer

Sandgrounder

Visit site
Further to my recent thread about camping dinghies, I am wondering about one of the above-mentioned boats of which I have a few vague memories from about 25 years ago.

Does anyone know anything about them or even have experience of sailing one? Looks as if it might work well as a dinghy cruiser but I can't find anything courtesy of the usual sites e.g. google and yachtsnet.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
There was a review of one some years ago in, I think, PBO. (You can probably buy a reprint.) I was quite interested in them for a while, and seem to recall that article made me think there were important (from a practicality point of view) differences between the different versions (Mk 1 or Mk 2, manufacturer, or whatever), though I can't now recall what they were.

I think one of them was involved in a fatal accident investigated by MAIB ( I think it was the one where a young woman ended up in the water under the boat, but the school(?) group leaders didn't realise in time that someone was missing). IIRC the Report recommended some modification to the boat, or highlighted the hazard of some characteristic of it.

Apologies this is all rather vague, but hope it's of some interst.

Sandgrounder

Visit site
There was a review of one some years ago in, I think, PBO. (You can probably buy a reprint.) I was quite interested in them for a while, and seem to recall that article made me think there were important (from a practicality point of view) differences between the different versions (Mk 1 or Mk 2, manufacturer, or whatever), though I can't now recall what they were.

I think one of them was involved in a fatal accident investigated by MAIB ( I think it was the one where a young woman ended up in the water under the boat, but the school(?) group leaders didn't realise in time that someone was missing). IIRC the Report recommended some modification to the boat, or highlighted the hazard of some characteristic of it.

Apologies this is all rather vague, but hope it's of some interst.

Thanks I'll look

Lakesailor

Visit site
I don't know the model you mention but Morton did build the Eagle 525 after taking over production from someone else. It was a small cabin cruiser though.

explores

Visit site
Further to my recent thread about camping dinghies, I am wondering about one of the above-mentioned boats of which I have a few vague memories from about 25 years ago.

Does anyone know anything about them or even have experience of sailing one? Looks as if it might work well as a dinghy cruiser but I can't find anything courtesy of the usual sites e.g. google and yachtsnet.
Is this what you mean
launch-1-1.jpg

Sandgrounder

Visit site
I don't know the model you mention but Morton did build the Eagle 525 after taking over production from someone else. It was a small cabin cruiser though.

Yes. I think Moreton, like Swift before them, made a business of buying under-employed moulds and developing the product. I think ther Eagle 525 was previously the Parker 21?

Seajet

Visit site
There couldn't be much more difference between boats !

Jumbleduck is right, the Eagle 525 is a modified Skipper 17, with a small almost cuddy cabin, large cockpit and twin lifting plates; in my view an inshore / estuary sort of cruiser, but suitable for trailer sailing ( if any boat is ! ).

explores

Visit site
That is my boat,and it sails really well.There are loads of storage space,and it has a cuddy.They say it is self draining but it isn't really.It also has a cover that completely covers the boat.It has a plastic window and ventilation holes in it so ideal for sleeping in overnight.It has its own buoyancy and is unsinkable.I have been out in it in some rough weather and it always felt safe.I first sailed them in Greece when Sunsail had about six of them for the customers to use.Mine is for sale due to replacement hip.Nice boat,

Keith 66

Visit site
A Dutch friend bought one a few years ago & it was a lovely boat, the design was closely based on the 17ft Hampden boat in Howard Chappelles boatbuilding book.
The Hampden boats used two Spritsails which the early GRP versions also used. I tried to track down the mould only to find it had finally been sold to an Irishman on ebay who had supposedly converted it into a fishing boat. If so rather a shame!

Lakesailor

Visit site
That is my boat,and it sails really well.There are loads of storage space,and it has a cuddy.They say it is self draining but it isn't really.It also has a cover that completely covers the boat.It has a plastic window and ventilation holes in it so ideal for sleeping in overnight.It has its own buoyancy and is unsinkable.I have been out in it in some rough weather and it always felt safe.I first sailed them in Greece when Sunsail had about six of them for the customers to use.Mine is for sale due to replacement hip.Nice boat,

Nicely done. Hope it finds a new home. :encouragement:

Ronan Beirne

Visit site
I have an Explorer 19' day boat now 3rd Summer 2020 and delighted with it. Easy to rig and set sail in no time. Loads of space for day sailing and fishing. 4HP outboard pushes her along grand. I tow the boat from winter storage to Summer hard standing and launch as required from club platform. Probably a bit on the heavy suide for towing long distance, trailer is OK but not great so looking to install "guide on" uprights to ease the recovery operation. I replaced the dodgey braked hubs with non braked ones. The rig is simplicity itself and as I had a Dabber but Explorer more efficient and sails to windward. Original "Rockall" sails. I think my boat is possibly built by Honor Marine although no builders plate. Similar joinery and deck colour as the Dabber I had. Anyone with any "Explorer" info glad to exchange notes. Regret production ceased prior to internet network so not much info on line. Previous owner of my boat has clips on YouTube.

Justin_G

Visit site
Hi Ronan - I'm thinking of buying an Explorer. The one I'm looking at has a gaff sloop rig rather than the more normal ketch rig. I guess that was an early option as there seems to be holes in the thwart and forepeak for the unstayed masts. I have not been able to inspect it in person thanks to lockdown - but are there any points you would suggest I should be on the lookout for when I do get to go and have a look?

Boatshed adverts for the Explorer typically describe it as having a lifting keel, but I assume that is an error? I have not been able to see any keel raising tackle in any of the photos I have looked at.

Are the You Tube videos you refer to the ones uploaded by Alan Stokes?

Do you have any other material - reviews etc you could upload here or give links to? There used to be a website (www.explorerboats.org.uk) with a lot of info on it, but I assume the chap who started it found the hosting charges too much for him as it has disappeared.

dancrane

Visit site
I realise this is a revival of a fairly ancient thread, but the design in question is a timeless one, I think, and deserves another showing.

50823944083_5a2fefce20_o.jpg

I doubt I've seen one this century, and possibly not since they were new in the 1980s.

To would-be purchasers, I'm interested in the reasoning that makes them pick the Explorer in preference to the Swift 18...

...that may be a much more conventional bit of design, and hasn't the same appeal as a big open dayboat, but is probably more useful as a first cruiser. I'd love one! ?

31239675897_57453c473f_z.jpg

Justin_G

Visit site
great question - and one that I am struggling with. There are many younger boats that are trailerable that would probably be more practical than the Swift/Morton Explorer.
I love the gentle sheer and a 'wineglass' transom of the Explorer - based I think on Howard Chapelle's take on Hampden boats from New England.
Also the one that I am thinking of buying is a gaffer (which also appeals to me) and needs to be brought back from a state of neglect / disuse which makes it easier to afford (ie get past the management committee).
To be honest, if SWMBO was more willing, I would probably raise my sights to a more modern plastic gaffer such as a Cape Cutter.

dancrane

Visit site
Cape Cutters are very appealing...terrific proportions.

The first time I saw one, at Ashlett Creek, I thought, "which Cornish Crabber is that? It's gorgeous!" Which was a first. I like gaffers and I approve of the ease of maintaining GRP, but I've often felt Cornish Crabbers weren't quite what I wanted. The Cape Cutter, though...

...compact but perfectly formed.

50825070602_526ef42d7e_o.jpg

But let us know if you get the Swift Explorer. (y)