• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

Swift/ Morton Explorer

Sandgrounder

Further to my recent thread about camping dinghies, I am wondering about one of the above-mentioned boats of which I have a few vague memories from about 25 years ago.

Does anyone know anything about them or even have experience of sailing one? Looks as if it might work well as a dinghy cruiser but I can't find anything courtesy of the usual sites e.g. google and yachtsnet.

LittleSister

There was a review of one some years ago in, I think, PBO. (You can probably buy a reprint.) I was quite interested in them for a while, and seem to recall that article made me think there were important (from a practicality point of view) differences between the different versions (Mk 1 or Mk 2, manufacturer, or whatever), though I can't now recall what they were.

I think one of them was involved in a fatal accident investigated by MAIB ( I think it was the one where a young woman ended up in the water under the boat, but the school(?) group leaders didn't realise in time that someone was missing). IIRC the Report recommended some modification to the boat, or highlighted the hazard of some characteristic of it.

Apologies this is all rather vague, but hope it's of some interst.

Sandgrounder

There was a review of one some years ago in, I think, PBO. (You can probably buy a reprint.) I was quite interested in them for a while, and seem to recall that article made me think there were important (from a practicality point of view) differences between the different versions (Mk 1 or Mk 2, manufacturer, or whatever), though I can't now recall what they were.

I think one of them was involved in a fatal accident investigated by MAIB ( I think it was the one where a young woman ended up in the water under the boat, but the school(?) group leaders didn't realise in time that someone was missing). IIRC the Report recommended some modification to the boat, or highlighted the hazard of some characteristic of it.

Apologies this is all rather vague, but hope it's of some interst.
Thanks I'll look

Lakesailor

I don't know the model you mention but Morton did build the Eagle 525 after taking over production from someone else. It was a small cabin cruiser though.

explores

Further to my recent thread about camping dinghies, I am wondering about one of the above-mentioned boats of which I have a few vague memories from about 25 years ago.

Does anyone know anything about them or even have experience of sailing one? Looks as if it might work well as a dinghy cruiser but I can't find anything courtesy of the usual sites e.g. google and yachtsnet.
Is this what you mean

Seajet

There couldn't be much more difference between boats !

Jumbleduck is right, the Eagle 525 is a modified Skipper 17, with a small almost cuddy cabin, large cockpit and twin lifting plates; in my view an inshore / estuary sort of cruiser, but suitable for trailer sailing ( if any boat is ! ).

explores

That is my boat,and it sails really well.There are loads of storage space,and it has a cuddy.They say it is self draining but it isn't really.It also has a cover that completely covers the boat.It has a plastic window and ventilation holes in it so ideal for sleeping in overnight.It has its own buoyancy and is unsinkable.I have been out in it in some rough weather and it always felt safe.I first sailed them in Greece when Sunsail had about six of them for the customers to use.Mine is for sale due to replacement hip.Nice boat,

Keith 66

A Dutch friend bought one a few years ago & it was a lovely boat, the design was closely based on the 17ft Hampden boat in Howard Chappelles boatbuilding book.
The Hampden boats used two Spritsails which the early GRP versions also used. I tried to track down the mould only to find it had finally been sold to an Irishman on ebay who had supposedly converted it into a fishing boat. If so rather a shame!

Lakesailor

That is my boat,and it sails really well.There are loads of storage space,and it has a cuddy.They say it is self draining but it isn't really.It also has a cover that completely covers the boat.It has a plastic window and ventilation holes in it so ideal for sleeping in overnight.It has its own buoyancy and is unsinkable.I have been out in it in some rough weather and it always felt safe.I first sailed them in Greece when Sunsail had about six of them for the customers to use.Mine is for sale due to replacement hip.Nice boat,
Nicely done. Hope it finds a new home. :encouragement:

Ronan Beirne

I have an Explorer 19' day boat now 3rd Summer 2020 and delighted with it. Easy to rig and set sail in no time. Loads of space for day sailing and fishing. 4HP outboard pushes her along grand. I tow the boat from winter storage to Summer hard standing and launch as required from club platform. Probably a bit on the heavy suide for towing long distance, trailer is OK but not great so looking to install "guide on" uprights to ease the recovery operation. I replaced the dodgey braked hubs with non braked ones. The rig is simplicity itself and as I had a Dabber but Explorer more efficient and sails to windward. Original "Rockall" sails. I think my boat is possibly built by Honor Marine although no builders plate. Similar joinery and deck colour as the Dabber I had. Anyone with any "Explorer" info glad to exchange notes. Regret production ceased prior to internet network so not much info on line. Previous owner of my boat has clips on YouTube.