Swallowing the anchor!

Gwylan

Visit site
Well we did it!
Just go for it and move on.

That was then, this is now.

Have to say the bank account we used for boating looks a lot better.

Birdseye

Visit site
I agree, he should get a motor home ?
Wash your mouth out! Have you been talking to my wife - thats what she wants. Driving around in a two tonne tin tent, clogging up the roads for anyone with a decent sports car wanting to "make progress"! ?

You do wonder about the alternatives. Motor boat? Always seemed to me that they were about the destination and the accommodation whereas for me the journey, the sailing, has always been the important bit. A pal has gone mobo this year and so far hasnt left the pontoon. Sits on board with wife and a glass ( or many) of beer.

Sailing with others? Depends very much on temperament and how easy you find it to be crew when you used to be skipper. Not sure its for me but no doubt time will tell. If I get the invites that is. :unsure:

Bouba

Visit site
Wash your mouth out! Have you been talking to my wife - thats what she wants. Driving around in a two tonne tin tent, clogging up the roads for anyone with a decent sports car wanting to "make progress"! ?

You do wonder about the alternatives. Motor boat? Always seemed to me that they were about the destination and the accommodation whereas for me the journey, the sailing, has always been the important bit. A pal has gone mobo this year and so far hasnt left the pontoon. Sits on board with wife and a glass ( or many) of beer.

Sailing with others? Depends very much on temperament and how easy you find it to be crew when you used to be skipper. Not sure its for me but no doubt time will tell. If I get the invites that is. :unsure:
If you want that spray in your face but with an easy life get a RIB. Easy to manœuvre and no problem parking because nobody cares if you bump into them. And easily towed behind your motor home ???
But if you still want your wife to accompany you, then you need a boat with a proper toilet

Stingo

Visit site

What? So no plastic fantastic for sale as requested in #5? Damn!

Visit site
There can be no hard and fast rules, we (especially sailors) have our own ideas and needs.Being a widower I can be selfish but I wish it were otherwise. I am fortunate in that I live in the Algarve so have more boating options than most in the UK.I'm looking forward to my 90th in Sep. and have sold the Seamaster 23 but share a little motorboat with a pal and we intend to do some fishing in the Ria Formosa now that we've been "unlocked" as well as going across to Culatra ( at 30 knots) for lunch. I have been known to take visiting family out to sea round the island. I no longer do single handed sailing in half a gale but having adapted to circumstances I have no intention of being without a boat.

wombat88

Visit site
Take up dinghy sailing, since it costs so much less it doesn't really matter if you use it or not.

Bouba

Visit site
There can be no hard and fast rules, we (especially sailors) have our own ideas and needs.Being a widower I can be selfish but I wish it were otherwise. I am fortunate in that I live in the Algarve so have more boating options than most in the UK.I'm looking forward to my 90th in Sep. and have sold the Seamaster 23 but share a little motorboat with a pal and we intend to do some fishing in the Ria Formosa now that we've been "unlocked" as well as going across to Culatra ( at 30 knots) for lunch. I have been known to take visiting family out to sea round the island. I no longer do single handed sailing in half a gale but having adapted to circumstances I have no intention of being without a boat.
I think we all can take a lesson from your example ?

D

Deleted member 36384

The antechambers of death! There is no "Fiddlers Green" so no boat - no life for a sailor

See post #12, everything can be purchased. I advised him of this strategy a long time ago, in another thread. He is still dithering.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have made the decision not to get old -
:)
Jonathan
Somehow I would prefer it to the alternative & there are other things to do. for instance-
The yacht may need a new engine, so I am going to fit a larger one & use it like a motor boat for a few years which will enable me to sail with friends or motor off on my own for a while
.I am a member of a model flying club & enjoy the friendship &building & crashing models between sailing trips
I have a lathe & mill etc & am building a model steam engine, among other things. It may never get finished but it is fun & challenging.
Then there is my launch so I can lay the club moorings,
My squib is still a possibility to race with my daughter as crew
I do hate the fact that my Phantom is now up for sale though
Oh I forgot-- there is a model 1 meter class RC yacht in the loft complete with all the sails etc & a club not far away- & a stack of course fishing kit still in good condition in the workshop-, the nearest 4 lakes are within 5 miles----- Just not enough time
No way would I sit back just yet & say I want to give up ---as long as I can keep some form of health

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
My club has a few boats that never move on club moorings and there's a waiting list, so it would be tempting to make a "Must go out of the harbour" rule, but I'd vote against it because at least one of the worst offenders has done a thankless task of club admin for donkey's years. If taking up a club mooring allows him to keep his dreams alive, well, I reckon that's the least he deserves.

Agree ..................but just how long does the reward last for somebody who did a couple of years on the committee 20 odd years ago.
Boat has not moved or been touched for 6 years and club has 3 year waiting list for moorings ?

Stemar

Visit site
Agree ..................but just how long does the reward last for somebody who did a couple of years on the committee 20 odd years ago.
Boat has not moved or been touched for 6 years and club has 3 year waiting list for moorings ?
Not that long!

The guy I'm thinking of has been doing it for maybe 40 years, so it's a bit of a different story.

Daydream believer

Visit site
The guy I'm thinking of has been doing it for maybe 40 years, so it's a bit of a different story.
That can be bad news. Our club had a group who did the same job for years & became know as the 3 witches & the club owner. Any new members to the committee gave up. Things got agreed outside committee. Anything new was quickly quashed. Approaches from new applicants was greeted by long miserable faces. Even the bar was a place not to be used.
A proposal to limit the post of any officer to 3 years was regretfully defeated & many now realise it was a mistake. Fortunately a coup has been mounted & the whole lot have been voted out. A couple were in tears at the result. It has already improved club morale with more boats on the water. Members have got their club back.
It all started because everyone was too lazy to fill the posts. People make these posts their life & if that personality is not a good one it can ruin a club. A club should change the management regularly.